Mar 31, 2019, 01:13 AM
If it's R/C, I'm in!

Another outdoor flight

Well, I didn't get to fly indoors this week, but I did get another outdoor flight on 3S-350. I was pretty aggressive again, with some simple aerobatics and full speed passes, and the battery gave out at 3 minutes. I'd like to try a 3S-450, but don't have anything suitable yet. I also still plan to try some 3-blade props, and if I don't find anything compelling at The Toledo Show next weekend, I'll probably place an order for the 3-blade version of the stock GemFans.

As for the Caddix cam, my new flying buddy was watching my flight thru his goggles and commented about how nice the image was... but the only cam he has experience with is the one on his Inductrix Pro, so the bar was set pretty low. Granted, the image isn't bad (most of the time) IMO either, but then I had the opportunity to show him what I hate about cheap CMOS cams. Since I was flying at dusk, there was a long shadow in one area, and when I passed thru it the image got very dark, because further ahead toward the horizon it was still relatively bright. If not for the brighter horizon, I suspect the image would have been better. But this seemed to expose the typical dynamic range deficiency of these CMOS cams. And I don't see any way to adjust its settings, either via a plug-in controller or the OSD. Oh, and I may have also experienced the notorious redness. Under certain low light conditions in my living room, the image does get very red. So, if this cam was on my main 5" quads, it would definitely be getting replaced. Under the conditions I'm likely to fly the Rex, I may be able to tolerate it, but it does slightly reduce the fun factor under some conditions.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 31, 2019, 04:45 PM
I'm torn between the Rex and the Trashcan...
Mar 31, 2019, 09:40 PM
VTX isn't what it used to be today. Low range, even with 100 mW setting. Anyone else have this issue? Looks like there's no cheap replacements (all > $15).

Word of advice: If you are using 100 mW, use "set vtx_low_power_disarm = ON" in the betaflight CLI, otherwise you'll be at 100 mW when plugged into USB. Even at 25 mW, it'll overheat and shut down after a short while.
Apr 01, 2019, 09:38 AM
Check the actual setting. Hm has a note to set bf to 500mw and you will then get 200mw vtx output. Maybe spedix has this weird offset too in bf
Apr 01, 2019, 11:46 AM
From the bowels of MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fxclm5
Check the actual setting. Hm has a note to set bf to 500mw and you will then get 200mw vtx output. Maybe spedix has this weird offset too in bf
I thought the VTX on this one was limited to 100mW....
Apr 01, 2019, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Interesting, I had been messing around with the smart audio vtx settings prior to this range issue. Could have sworn it was set to 25 mW by default, however.
Apr 01, 2019, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno-san
I thought the VTX on this one was limited to 100mW....
I dunno but its clear that bf does not set vtx output power correctly as stated by HM

so check your manual
Apr 02, 2019, 11:22 AM
Quote:
I dunno but its clear that bf does not set vtx output power correctly as stated by HM

so check your manual
Manual says 100 mW max. Not clear what the smartaudio setting would be for this, as 100mW doesn't exist under SmartAudio:
SmartAudio: 0=25mW, 1=25mW, 2=200mW, 3=500mW, 4=800mW

HM = HappyModel (?). You're implying they make the VTX? I haven't seen it sold separately, but let me know if it's out there in case we can get extra info from that.

Mine is essentially dead. I've tried different channels, various smartaudio settings. Always has unusable quality at distances > 15 m. Visually, the solders are fine, I also tried a different antenna (just resting leads of another antenna against the board).
Apr 02, 2019, 05:11 PM
NO i said HM has a known bug, check your manual to see if you have to do a weird offset like the HM one.

I basically shoulda just said check your manual.
Apr 05, 2019, 07:20 PM
I might be buying one of these tomorrow. I was going to buy a beta 85 . but after seeing all the issues . I decided to try something different.
it's a newer version. with runcam split HD set up dsmx.
anyone have one of the newer ones yet. ?
Apr 08, 2019, 05:29 PM
Hi
Hi, someone know how to plug this 5V DSMX receiver on that Spedix Fc please?
Which UART to choose for a DSMX Rx on the REX 80 FC?
Is there a owner manual on this FC?

Thanks.
Last edited by stef France; Apr 08, 2019 at 05:55 PM.
Apr 09, 2019, 12:50 AM
Hi,

Some one with a DSMX RX version could show how the Rx is plug to the FC?
Just need that to fly my last build, help please.

Stephane
Apr 09, 2019, 01:15 AM
From factory, they have signal wired to R1 and are powering off 3.3V. I suppose you can try this, or use the available 5V pad instead. (I'm not using DSMX Rx)
Name: rex80.JPG
Views: 59
Size: 275.1 KB
Description:

Looks like the R6 is available as well. I have no idea what the "PM" pad is for.

EDIT: Found very similar FC for sale separately on Banggood, at least some documentation:
"20x20mm Skystars Talon Mini Flytower F4 OSD Flight Controller & 15A BL_S 4in1 ESC & 40CH 25/100mW VTX"
Name: doc.JPG
Views: 90
Size: 184.1 KB
Description:
Last edited by erikspencer; Apr 09, 2019 at 01:55 AM.
Apr 09, 2019, 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikspencer
From factory, they have signal wired to R1 and are powering off 3.3V. I suppose you can try this, or use the available 5V pad instead. (I'm not using DSMX Rx)
Attachment 11929589

Looks like the R6 is available as well. I have no idea what the "PM" pad is for.

EDIT: Found very similar FC for sale separately on Banggood, at least some documentation:
"20x20mm Skystars Talon Mini Flytower F4 OSD Flight Controller & 15A BL_S 4in1 ESC & 40CH 25/100mW VTX"
Attachment 11929635
Thanks,
for information! Spedix answer me and here is the owner manual for the complete stack including VTx
Apr 10, 2019, 09:20 AM

Gofly Scorpion 80 (Spedix Rex) Micro Whoop Drone FPV Racer Flight Test Review

This brushless motor 80mm micro whoop can fly pretty fast on a 2S battery. Find the Gofly version here

and here is its flight demonstration.
Gofly Scorpion 80 Micro Whoop Drone FPV Racer Flight Test Review (15 min 6 sec)

Pros
- 80mm brushless whoop designed for 2S battery flight.
- Includes a 1200TVL CADDX Turbo EOS2 camera.
- 40 channel 25/100mW switchable FPV transmitter.
- OSD with Smartaudio capability.
- F405 flight control board.
- 1103/11000KV brushless motors
- 12A 4in1 BLHELI_S ESC
- Comes with 2S 300mah battery
- Available for Frsky, Flysky, DSMX, and PNP.

Cons
- Components suggest that this might also be flown with 3S batteries. However, Bangood is advertising it for 2S power only. Not sure why?
- It flies well with its small/lightweight 300mah 2S battery. However, it may become a bit sluggish with higher mah/weight batteries.

Quick Reply