Mar 21, 2019, 11:37 PM
Thread OP

Pilot's Update

Fella's

I have sent out an email to everyone with the exception of Steven Wilcox, Jr., Mike Roseberry and Matt Gewain (I don't have valid e-mail addresses for you) which has the Draw Table and Pilot Score Cards attached. Please verify you can access your personal scoring portal.

As I'm writing this Weather.com is calling for Saturday; ' Cloudy with light rain in the morning . them becoming partly cloudy. High around 65 F. Winds NW at 10-15 mph. Chance of rain 70%'. Sunday; 'Partly cloudy skies in the morning will give way to cloudy skies during the afternoon. High 69 F. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph'.

Well we're not going to let a little precipitation spoil our weekend of flying, so we'll have our pilots meeting at 8:00 am as scheduled and start when mother nature allows.

See you all Saturday,

Tim
to remove ads between posts
Mar 23, 2019, 02:16 PM
Currently on a rain delay. Two rounds completed. Launches are high due to weak lift conditions so far. Wind started almost calm today and by the time rain got here some were considering moving away from their lightest planes.

This is my first 5J contest. I am a poor judge of height going over 200 meters on both of my flights. Top guys seemed to be targeting around 150 for these conditions.
Mar 23, 2019, 09:42 PM
Thread OP

Day 1 Results

Day 1 results can be found on; http://www.gliderscore.com/OnLineScores.aspx

That's it, I'm going home and relaxing.

Tim
Mar 23, 2019, 11:25 PM
Thanks to CVRC and Tim for getting us to fly 7 rounds , 4 heats per round , with a 90 minute break for rain and lunch today , we go to dinner tired and satisfied

It was cold here today and also nice and sunny and warm to give us conditions to challenge our skills

A good mix of "new" pilots enjoying the F5J rule set to try to fly better than the other guy

bring on sunny Sunday

Philip
Mar 24, 2019, 09:29 AM
There is nothing better than the smell of burnt oak in the morning ;-)
GO WEAVE
Mar 25, 2019, 06:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Kindrick
There is nothing better than the smell of burnt oak in the morning ;-)
GO WEAVE
Hahahahahaha...... Keith, your time is coming. I was VERY consistent, Always launching Way Too High! Times were good, Landings were fine but my confidence with the conditions on Saturday sorta forced some of us to launch pretty high to pave the way for Ten minute flights. I got way too used to just sending it up a lot too high and the scores show it! It was a lot of fun to watch Mike Smith, Ali Khani and several others consistently launch to very low elevations like 31 meters, 33 meters, etc etc and patiently work very mild lift for several minutes as they continued to barely climb out. Did I say the site was surrounded by A LOT of Water??!!! And with my goofy attitude, I just had a Great time flying around with less stress from those comfy launch heights! It's pretty sobering to look at those scores later and find out there is A LOT of practicing in my future to learn how high is enough. Furthermore, having the confidence in your plane and setup to take those risks requires more practice.... FWIW, there was no Oak in my Pike Perfection but there was a nice Altitude limiter (CAM F5J) loaned and installed by Proppy Jon so I could actually get a full motor run. Details to follow.........

When you "finally" get your new Center Section from SUSA, you are going to have to try this out. F5J is a HUGE bunch of fun AND very different from anything in ALES comps....
Yeeeehaaaaa,
Weav
Mar 25, 2019, 10:49 AM
Years ago Stan Boyd had a landing clinic. Will you be teaching an F5J clinic? ; -)
Mar 26, 2019, 02:57 PM
Most of the Arizona contingent had a good time at the CVRC F5J contest and the social time on the field and at meals in Visalia.

The fly-offs had exciting launch tactics as it looked like everyone tried to follow-the-leader but nobody wanted to be the leader.......... led to some low launches and impressive (mostly) flying on display.

Nobody landed in the water and we had fun with our foamy floatplanes.

It's a long way home even with John A doing all the driving, thanks John

Philip
Mar 27, 2019, 10:44 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Thanks to CD Tim Johnson and the CVRC crew for hosting this one. I had a blast. We had 8 NorCal guys there: me, Bill Curry, Ron Vlastelica, Lou Fox, Bob McGowan, Dale Thompson, Dale Olstinske, and Fred Weaver. And even better four of them had never flown in a Tour event!

The Fri tri-tip BBQ hosted by Dale O. at his super nice RV was a ton of fun. Dale, thanks for opening it up to everyone at the field. Thanks to Ron V. for making a run to the supermarket with me. And Rick Johnston even had ice cream to go with the pies! I'm pretty sure everyone had plenty to eat and drink.

We had quite a range of flying conditions over 2 days. This was a very good and tough flying test for most of us. The low fog/clouds threw us a curve early on Sunday but by the fly-offs the weather was sunny and warm. All in all a great weekend. Can't wait to return here in June.

Chris
Mar 28, 2019, 05:19 PM
Really fun event!! Thanks to everyone who worked hard to make it happen!

I put a video up from the event if anyone wants to check it out-

F5J Competition, Visalia California, March 2019 (13 min 39 sec)
Mar 29, 2019, 12:57 PM
Team Hello Kitty

Tour standings updated

The F5J USA Tour season standings are now updated with this event and available via this page.

Chris
www.f5j-usa.com
Mar 29, 2019, 09:29 PM
Thanks Ali for the video....really enjoyed it!

After watching it and recalling what I observed during the contest, I must say that a number of us are tending to be too far out at 10 seconds on the landing approach, resulting in quite a bit bit of drama in the landing zone (crossing lanes rapidly over the grass, late landings, punching plane down before reaching pin, dodging plane in landing zone). I'll admit that I started adopting that habit on Sunday and will be working on avoiding that in the future.

Quick Reply