Oct 04, 2019, 06:59 PM
Old newb
Thread OP

Flight test

While FX707 is a super good flyer, it is ill suited for more than around 8 mph.

I got it going down wind and it just would not turn around.

This happened at the park.

AUW is just shy of 200g now.

I will be going to the slope and see what it does in the light morning air next.....
to remove ads between posts
Oct 12, 2019, 11:24 PM
Old newb
Thread OP

Success!

Dave’s Beach October 12th 2019

Wonderful low wind flyer. When only a DLG would fly so could the FX707.

I need a little bit of fine tuning but nothing to complain about.

It slows down good, but you know when it stalls, it just drops. Recovery not bad but the Fly Bear will fall a bit first.

This simple conversion is a success!
Oct 14, 2019, 02:47 PM
I join the club! I just ordered the FX-707 glider and I hope I get it before Christmas ......
I was going to buy another 100cm model, Wingspan Hand Throwing Plane Fixed Wing, but since I had to reinforce the wings, I preferred this FX!

Where I live there is little wind and so I'll predict a motor. Some advice?

PS: last week I also got these from 48cm ... a couple I will give them to my grandson, I keep another one ... eh eh eh !!! I will try to assemble 1811 brushless 2900kv ...
Oct 20, 2019, 07:36 PM
Old newb
Thread OP
I have since flown a few times at Dave’s Beach.

Today I flew Torrey Pines.

The FX707 is OK in bigger winds but not great. It is a bit light for late afternoon higher ends. It gets tossed about in bigger breezes.

It was a pleasant challenge to fly her at Torrey.

I think I should reserve the FX707 for lighter conditions. But it was in the van. So the adage says “fly what you got,” so I did.....

The FX707 is best suited for light conditions.
Oct 25, 2019, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conte Vlad
I join the club! I just ordered the FX-707 glider and I hope I get it before Christmas ......
I was going to buy another 100cm model, Wingspan Hand Throwing Plane Fixed Wing, but since I had to reinforce the wings, I preferred this FX!

Where I live there is little wind and so I'll predict a motor. Some advice?

PS: last week I also got these from 48cm ... a couple I will give them to my grandson, I keep another one ... eh eh eh !!! I will try to assemble 1811 brushless 2900kv ...
there's also these now:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIY-EPP-F...y/323902087653
Oct 29, 2019, 03:57 PM
Hello,
Sorry for my English, but I'm using Google Translate ...
For full-angle mounting, how far from the leading edge do you place the wing key?
Thank you very much!!!
Gilles.
South West France.
Oct 29, 2019, 05:30 PM
Hi, another frenchie

Just ordered a FX707, looks promising...
In a meantime anyone can share a good picture for the wing profile after cutting ?
Not the part inside the fuselage, will be useful for predicting the best position for carbon rod.

Thanks,
Laurent

** There is another variant available on Ebay (called FX-707S) with all the RC mount planned (servos places into the wing and fuselage, ailerons almost cut), even cheaper but not really appropriate for pitcheron conversion.
Oct 29, 2019, 05:47 PM
Old newb
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5soh
In a meantime anyone can share a good picture for the wing profile after cutting ?
Not the part inside the fuselage, will be useful for predicting the best position for carbon rod.
Carbon wing tube already in wing!

You cut it and and install a wing rod to pivot on.

Look at the pictures in the first few pages.

See posts 5, 15 and 29.
Last edited by r39o; Oct 29, 2019 at 05:54 PM.
Oct 29, 2019, 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by r39o
Carbon wing tube already in wing!
You cut it and and install a wing rod to pivot on.
Thanks for answer, but this is almost sure the original wing pivot position is not the best position for servos and wing stability.
So if possible, a picture with the 'active' airfoil will be very useful for me.

Not really a issue since i can do the predict job after i receive the parcel.

Thanks,
Laurent
Oct 29, 2019, 07:14 PM
Old newb
Thread OP
Look at my as flying picture above.

Nothing other than trimming was required to fly nice.

CG around 60-70 mm from the leading edge.

Weigh your parts, assemble, find CG and throw it somewhere flat.

Then convert. It is worth a moment to test as a free flight first.

Read this thread, it shows what I did.

Do not over analyze.......
Oct 29, 2019, 07:29 PM
Old newb
Thread OP
Quote:
Thanks for answer, but this is almost sure the original wing pivot position is not the best position for servos and wing stability.
The original wing rod “might not” be at the absolute optimal position, BUT it works fine (or good enough.)

Quote:
So if possible, a picture with the 'active' airfoil will be very useful for me.
I do not understand what is meant by “active,” in this case.

Sorry must lose something in translation.

Again do not over think this. There are 40 grams of ballast in the nose from the factory (which you exchange for radio equipment.). I have a steel wing rod currently. Put every thing in the front. Do not dig a deep hole for the battery. I have about 13 grams of weight added to the nose to fly nice at a final CG around 60-70 mm at total flying weight with ballast of about 198 g.

Review the thread from the beginning. It is a toy and is pretty good in light conditions.

I have much better and bigger (up to 3.7 m) to be serious with, but this is a fun one like other foams such as Dream Flights or Radian.

Have fun!
Oct 30, 2019, 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by r39o
The original wing rod “might not” be at the absolute optimal position, BUT it works fine (or good enough.)
Optimal position for wing rod will be around 70mm from LE.
Not really a issue for light conditions but critical for all pitcherons designs if you want to avoid big servos.

Quote:
I do not understand what is meant by “active,” in this case.
I mean the wing profile but not the part inside the fuselage, with a scan or a picture with some contrast.
Oct 30, 2019, 10:09 AM
Old newb
Thread OP
I doubt I will have time to take the glider apart to create an airfoil profile to make a picture.

Yours will likely arrive before I could do that.

But:

9 gram cheap servos work fine.

It is for light only. It gets blown away in high winds.

The effort and weight gain to correct the rod to the optimal position were not worth it to me.

The idea is to covert by adding and not reengineer the plane.

I wanted simple. I got simple. It simply is fine for the intended conditions.

I have flown it in bigger wind and it controlled fine but due to weight it would not penetrate.

It meets my expectations just the way it is.

Keep having fun.
Last edited by r39o; Oct 30, 2019 at 10:20 AM.
Oct 30, 2019, 04:33 PM

Leslaur FX707S

Hi there you very industrious guys.
I decided to bite the bullet and ordered a Leslaur FX707S chuck glider through Amazon. Long journey from China, and fingers crossed it'll arrive in the next two or three days. £18.99, and free delivery. What can go wrong
Outwardly it looks pretty much the same as what you guys have been working on, right down to the stickers, BUT. note that "S", in the FX707S !!!
This model appears to be a wee bit more sophisticated, in construction and assembly, judgeing by the images on Amazon. Hmmmm, we'll soon see.
I am just wondering if anybody else has purchased this version and started on the RC conversion.?????

I am thinking about fitting a motor and folding prop in the nose, but I need to see what space we might have, and what I have lying around.
Go With the Flow
Bruce
Oct 31, 2019, 12:11 AM
Old newb
Thread OP
Bruce,

Yes, the S is different. It looks the same but has significant changes and weighs more too.

220 grams compared to 170 grams for the non S.

This is a big difference for a light air sloper.

Basically speaking the Albatross is not well suited for flying too fast.

It excels at flying slow

Great for early morning sloping before the conditions improve.

I like it just for that.

Making it motorized requires all manner of, typically, ugly mods which tend to really compromise its’ structure.

That’s MHO

Quick Reply