I can not find an FX-709

Can you share pictures or information?
Oops, looks like it is the FX-706.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 30, 2019, 04:13 PM
Hamburger

CoG in front of LE - how will it fly?

Hi,
I just finished a pitcheron conversion on a similar foamy. Now the CoG is even before the leading edge of the wing. The motor+prop will easily allow for vertical climb as I intend to go fast with the little 24" gem.

The question is will it fly? What should I expect?
I remember an old saying 'nose heavy fly ugly, tail heavy fly once'.

Currently the weather makes me postpone the maiden - may wait for an accessible high grass field for softer landings
Jan 31, 2019, 05:44 PM
Old newb
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburger
Hi,
I just finished a pitcheron conversion on a similar foamy. Now the CoG is even before the leading edge of the wing. The motor+prop will easily allow for vertical climb as I intend to go fast with the little 24" gem.

The question is will it fly? What should I expect?
I remember an old saying 'nose heavy fly ugly, tail heavy fly once'.

Currently the weather makes me postpone the maiden - may wait for an accessible high grass field for softer landings
My guess is you built yourself a rock......

Give a toss and see what happens.

A little nose heavy OK, but not that far forward.

I saw a video where the guy proclaimed his RC 24 inch was a waste of time. He has a video. Have to find it....Post later.
Jan 31, 2019, 05:45 PM
Old newb
Thread OP
I am working on the center section now. No pictures yet. My goal is not to make it overly complicated...... Stay tuned....
Feb 10, 2019, 04:24 PM
There was thread a few years back on making the hitec fox chuckie into a pitcheron.i have been using that for guidance.
Feb 11, 2019, 04:19 PM
Old newb
Thread OP
I am delayed with the project, but maybe the below will inspire....

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeg
There was thread a few years back on making the hitec fox chuckie into a pitcheron.i have been using that for guidance.
THIS?

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Multiplex-Fox
Feb 11, 2019, 04:43 PM
Old newb
Thread OP
This thread has ideas too:

Walmart chuckie:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...t-Chuck-Glider

BIG Lidl glider thread:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...d-chuck-glider
Feb 11, 2019, 04:56 PM
Old newb
Thread OP

HELP: Recent Attachments for FranciscoB

From FranciscoB I see I may have been beat to it.....

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/thum...ttach&u=116957

I can not find the thread the pictures come from though.

HELP?
Feb 12, 2019, 12:18 AM
Franciscob is a busy boy.

I think the magnet on the outside of the tube
For wing retention is genius in its simple effectiveness.
Feb 12, 2019, 12:30 AM
This is how i want to do it:

https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/a...67-238-040.jpg
Feb 13, 2019, 04:01 PM
Old newb
Thread OP
I am confused. Happens real easy....

My steel wing pivot rod fits the CF tube real well. Why are you using a copper tube?

Also, for me, it seemed the magnet holds best at the end of the steel rod. Have you tested with your materials?

I will get back to this real soon. You know what quick project got in the way........weather too bad now to test it though...sigh...
Last edited by r39o; Feb 13, 2019 at 05:01 PM.
Feb 14, 2019, 11:11 PM
On mine the steel rod was a little tight and when i tried to ream it out it split.this way i can use brass for the wings and center section
Feb 15, 2019, 07:35 PM
Old newb
Thread OP

Cutting the wing tube

Never having cut a Carbon Fiber tube, I did my research.

I used a diamond cutoff disc and Dremel at medium speed. Too slow hangs up. Too fast builds too much heat. It only takes a few seconds to cut. Proper safety prep takes a lot longer!!!

So after reading and reading I ended up cutting outside. I cut over a wet paper towel to catch carbon. It is much easier if you cut from the bottom with the wing flipped up side down. USE A MASK!!!

The cutoff wheel is cheap from China on eBay or pay 5 times the cost to get from a conus supplier.
Feb 15, 2019, 10:21 PM
Good precautions, r39o..."Live Long and Slope Prosperously"!

I finally touched my FX-706 for the first time today since Christmas!
I have been reading your build thread & a few others--to 'psyche' myself BACK up for the process.

I never imagined setting up pivot tube bearings would require as much forethought, but watching someone else do it reveals a lot.

I'm back in San Diego come Sunday and will be watching the skies if they're not wet.

Quick Reply