May 01, 2019, 03:35 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Bob – you might not think so if you saw me in action.

Thanks Tim – the photo etching does all of the hard yards. Couldn't do without it now.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 05, 2019, 03:49 PM
Thread OP
I've been on holiday since the last post back in May but all good things must come to an end and I'm now back at home with time on my hands. I have been following the forum while on my travels and towards the end of the trip started thinking about this build again.

At home the spring weather is unseasonably cold and windy so I may be able to get in a bit of bench time.

I've taken a few hours the re-acquaint myself with the project. The list of things left to do only stretches to half a page. Some are quite simple: Glazing the wheelhouse doors and some are quite time consuming: make 14 tire fenders and attach them, plus the nav lights which is my least enjoyed part of any build. Three fire buckets will also be a challenge.

I've had some waterslide decals made up for the safety/fire/liferaft signs. These are from Bedlam Creations and look great so far.
I also had some rubdowns made for this build and 2 future ones. These came from Aeroloft and seem pretty good. I usually get my rubdowns from All Out Graphics and although I have always had good service and quality from them, I just thought that I'd try someone else for a change.
Nov 13, 2019, 05:38 PM
Thread OP
Slowly easing myself back into this project. The model is 99% finished but that last 1% is sometimes the most difficult to complete. Sometimes I just run out of steam – mostly I get distracted by the next project. This time I'll try and finish this one without getting sidetracked so I've started working through my 'to do' list.

First up: an extra 14 tyres for the fenders.

These are made from some laser cut components that I had cut last year. I had a quite a few cut at different sizes to allow me to make car, truck and tractor tyres. I now have a small bag of each size.

These truck tyres are made up from 3 x 1.2mm discs glued together, with a slightly smaller diameter 0.5mm disc on the facing side. Easy but tedious.

15 in total (I already 3 on my spares box). One extra to cover any mistakes along the way. Next they get an undercoat and a thick brushed on coat of very dark matt grey (95% black), and the fender tie loops attached.

Yes, I know you can buy them but they cost more than I am prepared to pay, by the time you include freight and tax to get them to New Zealand. This method of making them actually works out quite cheap and the end result looks good. Plus I like the idea of scratch building as much as possible.
Nov 13, 2019, 05:46 PM
Nice !
Nov 14, 2019, 07:43 AM
Wow, She looks good!
Nov 14, 2019, 03:40 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Tim, Jerome. After so long away from the build I just want it finished now and things are moving quickly – hopefully not too quickly. I'm trying not to think too much about the next project. Luckily I haven't decided what will be next so I can't start a new build until this one is all done.

The tyre fenders are all finished and attached. The burnt cut edges actually look a bit like tread when all glued together and painted.
The real boat has them tied on with rope. Over the years the rope has been blue, orange, yellow and white nylon. I've opted for pale grey which is what the white nylon looks like after a few years. That's also how it looked the day I was onboard.
Last edited by steve mahoney; Nov 14, 2019 at 03:45 PM.
Nov 18, 2019, 09:15 PM
Thread OP
Well, she's all finished – at last.

The last task was to make 3 fire buckets. At 1/50 they are pretty small. Let's just say that next time I have to do that, I'll get them 3D printed.

Anyway, here it is:
Nov 18, 2019, 09:24 PM
Thread OP
...and a few more.

I'm sort of pleased with how it turned out. A 6 month break in the build didn't help. I sort of rushed a few things at the end just to get it finished.
The decals turned out OK.
Nothing in the pipeline at the moment but I'm sure that I'll get back into another project in the next few weeks. I've got a long wish list, let's see who makes it to the top.

Thanks for following.
Nov 19, 2019, 12:05 AM

Sharp detailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve mahoney
I'm sort of pleased with how it turned out.
Cracking Job Steve !

Once again you turn out another model bristling with detail.

Looking forward to your next choice ...
Nov 19, 2019, 01:27 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Tim. I usually have the next project settled and planned as soon as one finishes. I have a few options but nothing decided yet. Also, straight after having a 6 month break, my wife has just booked a month long stay in Australia, so i guess i won't be starting anything new until January.
Oh, I still have the last 0.5% to do to finish the Hikurangi which has been neglected for almost 2 years.
Nov 19, 2019, 05:18 PM
Brought to you by letter Arr!
Great job Steve! I love the subject and the details are top notch.
Nov 20, 2019, 11:24 AM
Quote:
I still have the last 0.5% to do to finish the Hikurangi which has been neglected for almost 2 years.
Looks done, what's left to do ?
Nov 22, 2019, 03:33 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Alan, I followed your lead and fully detailed the engine room.
No, not really.

Thanks Tim. Not much to do on the Hikurangi. I only had the search light, some bollards/fairleads and a forward radio mast to make but I kept slipping other projects in front of it. I started Hikurangi in late 2016 and had almost finished it but managed to leave it sitting in a cupboard for nearly 2 years while I built the Parahaki, James O'Brien, Tumeke and Tika.
Not sure why the reluctance to finish it as it is one of my favourites. It's now back on the bench and has my undivided attention – almost.
Nov 22, 2019, 09:31 PM
Lot of water; some gets thin
Quote:
Well, she's all finished – at last.:
Finest kind Steve.
Nov 23, 2019, 03:00 PM
Brought to you by letter Arr!
Quote:
Thanks Alan, I followed your lead and fully detailed the engine room.
No, not really.
Ah- but you could always make that part of your next build!

Quick Reply