This thread is privately moderated by Pat Lynch, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 24, 2019, 11:08 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Thread OP
Discussion

2019 Already.....

Life has a way of getting a bit hectic at times and 2018, with a wedding, two OS holidays, Xmas and visits to new relatives has left little time for a lot of model building But, life is great and I'm slowly getting organised. One thing I hadn't counted on was losing a bit of confidence in my flying! In the last 2 years or so, I've flown maybe a dozen times and now I have joined the local club, I have to do a 'flying test' just to show I can. So I must brush up my flagging skills a little and get on with it!
But building is my love (in the modelling sense) and I needed a smaller easy-to-fly machine to use at the local sports park and I was reluctant to buy an ARF so scanning back, my best model that taught me all the basics was a small Telemaster! At less than 48", it was small but very rugged and as I recall, easy to build so, again, I am doing a repeat build of an old favourite Another repeat is my 60" Lysander from an old free-flight plan plus my entry into the Peter Rake Memorial Build-off - the 53" Great Lakes Trainer.

So here we are with a big 67" Se5a in progress (Gary Sunderland design), a 58" Pietenpol Aircamper (by Peter Rake and almost finished), A Westland Lysander fuselage mostly complete, A tiny 28" French oddity (WEL-10) another P.R. design and now, a start on a tough little Telemaster! I forgot to mention a 60" Maule M7 foamy (with floats) - an ARF in my workshop. Sacrilege!
My cup runneth over, and my bench also

So here a a few pictures of the Telemaster which I must build quickly to 'get my hand in' again......

Pat
Latest blog entry: 2019 Already.....
to remove ads between posts
Feb 13, 2019, 11:45 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Thread OP

A bit more Telemaster

Just a tiny bit more - TM now has wheels and tail stuff. Very slow progress as weather has been a bit on the hot side!

But progress has been made - now I can hook up the servos......

AS an aside, the Telemaster's tailplane often causes debate (sometimes long and heated) as to what the advantage is in having a 'lifting' surface at the tail. Some versions have just flat sheet balsa but this one is a Clarke-y-ish shape and is seated negative wrt the main wing ???
Food for thought

....time passes...

The tail servos now connected to the back end and working well, plus, the ailerons and servo are fitted to the wing - almost time for covering
Pat
Mar 07, 2019, 11:29 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Thread OP

Got it covered

A wet day so some time in the shed. What colours to paint this near-antique design? I had some grey film (left over from the Heinkel 51 ill-fated journey up a pine tree) plus some Orange left over from the current Great Lakes Trainer build. So, grey and orange it is! The wing underside is all orange and the top is orange/grey. Might help my eyes tell which side is up
With everything installed, I took it for a run around a wet, uncut lawn and found the steering a bit lacking using rudder only. The original had a tail-wheel attached to the rudder so I may have to try that. An 11X7 prop gives plenty of grunt and the balance is right on the main spar where the plan says it should be so........a trip the local park anytime soon!
A whole model for which I purchased nothing - a scrap-box special

The idea was to get my hand (and head) back into flying but with something small enough for the local park but sturdy enough to take some knocks. We'll see!

Pat

Quick Reply