This thread is privately moderated by rowdyjoe, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 23, 2019, 10:03 PM
Nose down, you're gonna stall
Thread OP
Yippee!

Message from the President - SAE

THANK YOU THUNDERBIRDS !

The SAE competition was another smash hit with the students and team leaders as indicated in the post below. We could not have done it without the dedication and hard work the many volunteers from our outstanding membership.

We take great pride in hosting this event and our intent is to make it memorable for all participants with goal of encouraging them to continue their studies and return and try again. It takes an effort by the entire club to ensure success and you, the members, have done it again. We had significant challenges this year and everyone of our volunteers met those with typical "can do" attitude. For those of you affected by closure of the field for this event, thank you for your understanding and know that your sacrifice was appreciated.

This international event provides significant exposure for the club to local, state, national and international, modelers, corporations, and elected officials. This exposure gives us the opportunity to show the positive side of model aviation, and the many benefits and technological advances that have been developed, and are yet to be developed, through the efforts of modelers via model aviation.

We are scheduled to host this event again next year so and those of you who were fortunate enough to participate will, no doubt, be excited about doing it again. If you missed the opportunity to help this year, sign-up early for next year. You'll be tired when it's finished but, the you'll remember it for years.

James Meadows
President, Fort Worth Thunderbirds
Last edited by rowdyjoe; Mar 17, 2019 at 08:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 17, 2019, 07:40 PM
Thread OP

Great Job Thunderbirds !

On Mar 11, 2019, at 10:10 AM, Ed Hohenberg wrote:

On behalf of the University of Manitoba and our SAE student teams, I want to personally thank your club, and your members for the continued support of the SAE Aero Design competition. The event organization and facilities are truly world class, and we always look forward to attending the SAE event at your location. This year especially with the weather, your team of volunteers managed the situation like a well oiled machine. Little details like laying down straw to keep the field and pit areas from turning into a mud pit did not go unnoticed.

Please pass on our thanks to all your members and volunteers. We look forward to seeing you next time.

Sincerely,

Ed Hohenberg P.Eng. M.Sc., B.Sc. M.E, C.A.E.
Faculty of Engineering
University of Manitoba

Thanks for the kind words. We truly enjoy hosting this event and look forward to meeting the teams and seeing the unique airframe designs and capabilities. We always strive to exceed the standards and make the event about the students and flying

Thanks again and see you again!
James Meadows
Thunderbirds RC Association
President
Mar 21, 2019, 10:05 PM
Thread OP
SAE March 2019:by Lawrence Harville (District VIII VP)
I attended the SAE Aero Design Event this weekend in Fort Worth it had over 792 contestants from all over the world. Recognized and supported by industry leaders nationwide and worldwide. It is a feather in the cap of Model Aviation and exposes and involves hundreds of young college men and women in design and flight of models that compete in different levels and events each year.
I am not the best spokesman for this event because I am learning just like most of you. I will say "if you can get to this event next year PUT IT ON YOUR MUST SEE LIST !
There are several events featuring Electric airplanes most of us would not recognize, specially designed to carry heavy loads on limited wingspan. One event is the plane must carry a payload of Habits (houses) and food Pods that are air dropped into a circle--then same plane also carrying TWO planes attached to the wing--These two planes are detached and glide to the circle. The original plane must then make it back to the runway and successfully land. VERY ENTERTAINING and exciting to watch. The Cheers and hollers coming from each flight or attempt is like being at a college pep rally--GO NEXT YEAR--put on by the Fort Worth Thunderbird RC Club--making AMA District 8 VERY PROUD.

Quick Reply