Jan 23, 2019, 03:35 PM
Thread OP
Video

TRAXXAS TRX 4 SPORT VS REDCAT GEN 8 SCOUT 2 & the WINNER IS?

This is my honest opinion after running both rigs for miles in the mountains.
TRAXXAS TRX 4 SPORT VS REDCAT GEN 8 SCOUT 2 & the WINNER IS? (6 min 40 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jan 30, 2019, 10:23 AM
Nice video! Great comparison footage! I debated between these two, and I realized the TRX 4 is more capable for only $39 more than the Gen8.

But I ended up ordering the Gen8 for these reasons:
- nicer body.
- 16 LED ready!
- NO body clips!!!!!!!!!
- $39 cheaper
- I don't have challenging rocky trails like you....my trucks won't be challenged as much.

Out of all these reasons, the lack of body clips really sold me on the Gen 8 for a cleaner look and much more convenient. I really like these newer trucks doing away with body clips...I really hate them. Especially when I get a rollover on my faster trucks and those post holes get strained and warped...next thing I know, I need a new body.

Anyway...Nice job!

BTW: did the TRX4 have a softer throttle tip-in than the GEn8? It looked like the TRX had smoother starts, and the Gen8 was a bit jerky...or was it just too cold to feather the trigger? (Gloves? Lol).
Jan 30, 2019, 06:17 PM
Thread OP
The gen 8's a nice truck you will be happy with it.
The TRX 4 has a little bit smoother ESC but the main reason why the gen 8 looks jerky is because it gets hung up a lot more than the trx 4 and you need to give it more gas to get up and pop over the rocks and with the trx 4 you can mostly drive slowly and it smoothly goes through the rocks a bit better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Flynow
Nice video! Great comparison footage! I debated between these two, and I realized the TRX 4 is more capable for only $39 more than the Gen8.

But I ended up ordering the Gen8 for these reasons:
- nicer body.
- 16 LED ready!
- NO body clips!!!!!!!!!
- $39 cheaper
- I don't have challenging rocky trails like you....my trucks won't be challenged as much.

Out of all these reasons, the lack of body clips really sold me on the Gen 8 for a cleaner look and much more convenient. I really like these newer trucks doing away with body clips...I really hate them. Especially when I get a rollover on my faster trucks and those post holes get strained and warped...next thing I know, I need a new body.

Anyway...Nice job!

BTW: did the TRX4 have a softer throttle tip-in than the GEn8? It looked like the TRX had smoother starts, and the Gen8 was a bit jerky...or was it just too cold to feather the trigger? (Gloves? Lol).
Jan 30, 2019, 06:20 PM
I'll admit..the TRX looked MUCH more capable!

I'm still happy with my choice....like you have said in so many words...really can't go wrong with either.

BTW: You see Traxxas is releasing a mercedes G500 body for the TRX4? and SNOW TRACKS?!? They look so bad-ass!!!!

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/big-traxxa...rom-nuremburg/
Last edited by Hugo Flynow; May 07, 2019 at 07:08 AM.
Mar 25, 2019, 11:07 AM
I just came across this, since I'm looking at new crawlers, specifically the Gen8.

It appears to me that the TRX4 has the advantage of better tires. They are wider, have a larger contact patch and siping that all favors rock crawling. I bet if you swap tires, the Gen8 will outperform the TRX4 on the rocks. For mud and very loose conditions, my money is on the super swamper tires of the Gen8.
Mar 25, 2019, 12:24 PM
You can't go wrong with either...but I chose the Gen 8 for the reasons above. Very happy with it.

For under $20 you can buy 2 sets of 8 LED's and fully light up the Gen8 as it's designed for.

My short videos of it's capability.

Gen8 Scout tackles wood pile (0 min 18 sec)

Tackling challenging gutter spouts...lol.

Redcat Racing Gen8 Scout Tackles Gutter Spouts (0 min 20 sec)
Last edited by Hugo Flynow; May 07, 2019 at 07:07 AM.
Mar 25, 2019, 01:49 PM
Is it me or that thing is loud?
Mar 25, 2019, 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptr1ck
Is it me or that thing is loud?
LOL..the first few runs the damn thing sounded like a coffee grinder....after a few runs it did quiet down as it broke in.
Mar 26, 2019, 01:14 PM
Well between Reptileman and RC Review, I decided on the TRX-4. I found a very lightly used one for $280 shipped! I'm very anxious now.
Mar 26, 2019, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptr1ck
Well between Reptileman and RC Review, I decided on the TRX-4. I found a very lightly used one for $280 shipped! I'm very anxious now.
That's a good deal! I mean...you can only thrash a crawler so much...lol. The worst you can do to a crawler is lightly use it.....unless he played submarine with it....

Even if you need a new motor...they are under $15.

Congrats!!!

Pics when you get it!
Apr 12, 2019, 08:15 PM
Quote:
LOL..the first few runs the damn thing sounded like a coffee grinder....after a few runs it did quiet down as it broke in.
Mine too. I only have ~15 minutes of use on it so far but itís still coffee grinderish

Itís performing perfectly so Iím not worried.
Apr 12, 2019, 08:16 PM
Quote:
You can't go wrong with either...but I chose the Gen 8 for the reasons above. Very happy with it.

For under $20 you can buy 2 sets of 8 LED's and fully light up the Gen8 as it's designed for.

My short videos of it's capability.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CXGl-Y4thq8

Tackling challenging gutter spouts...lol.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CK0EcIe6l8U
Awesome video clips! You make it look easy.

Which light kit are you running?
Apr 12, 2019, 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX
Mine too. I only have ~15 minutes of use on it so far but itís still coffee grinderish

Itís performing perfectly so Iím not worried.
It does quiet down!!! Run it some more! Hell, I put in a 7.4v lipo and the damn thing will go almost an hour!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX
Awesome video clips! You make it look easy.

Which light kit are you running?
Thanks! The Scout is 16 LED READY...I just buy the 5mm light packs from Amazon. Spent less than $15 for both 8 light kits. One string was 4 white/ 4 red. The other kit 2 white, 2 yellow, 4 red I think. They plug in the rx.

here's an example of one of the light "kits"
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ZJPWU7GA&psc=1

Here's a quick clip of the Gen7 and Gen8 running together. My wife running the Scout!

Gen7 and Gen8 backyard course (0 min 49 sec)

Quick Reply