May 04, 2019, 01:04 PM
Martin
Thread OP
6 Teams and perfect conditions. It's a great day for XC at SVSS!
Mart
to remove ads between posts
May 04, 2019, 11:59 PM
Bay Area Model Flyer
Some pitcures from today. I did not get a chance to eveybody. Great day of Flying. Thanks Marty and SVSS for hosting.
Last edited by dbaya; May 05, 2019 at 10:53 PM.
May 05, 2019, 06:56 PM
Martin
Thread OP

XC at SVSS

It was a great weekend for XC at SVSS.
Six teams turned out to try their hands at some distance racing on Saturday and a little Speed on Sunday.
Saturday was a perfect day for thermals and a 27 mile course. John Ellias and team made it all the way around the course while teams Chase and Norsworthy landed just short of the full distance.
Sunday started out nice but the forecast was for strong winds coming in and they did. Four teams got to the far point but only team Ellias got close to finishing the course.
Final scoring was:
1. Team Ellias. - 2,000
2. Team Norsworthy/Bayani - 1429
3. Team Chase -1216
4. Team Rolle - 688
5. Team Washington -150
6. Team RnR - 0

The photo is of Team Ellias Bill Curry, John and Steve Henke and the coveted SVSS XC trophy!
We'll be trying this again maybe even in the fall.
Lots of thanks to all who came out and helped make this a very fun contest.
Mart. 😃
Many donuts were hurt during the making of this contest but no sailplanes or cows.
May 05, 2019, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the contest summary.
It's great that everyone got two days of flying in.
Also thanks for keeping XC alive. That's a difficult task in today's environment.

Mike
May 05, 2019, 10:34 PM
Saturday June 4 was the first day of the X/C competition at the SVSS field near Davis. I don’t recall being at a X/C event since 86 or 87 at the TOSS comp. at Taft. What an eye opener! The SVSS field has a big shed roof to keep the sun off, a far cry from the first comp in the Mojave Desert in 74. Temps were mild and from I understand, lift was about average for the time of year.

Fiberglass airplanes and Telemetry that works have made a big difference in the event. Most of the models are factory made and perform beautifully. Six teams showed up including a team from Washington/Idaho.

I was pressed into service as a driver for Greg Norsworthy and hi flying Buddy. I say Rich Spicer for probably the first time in 30 years and met Rich Tillman.

I was driving Greg’s VW convertible with a very stiff clutch. My left leg is still sore. At the start, you go through a tunnel of trees about 1 block long, so there were a couple of times that the model is out of sight. Fortunately, this light air model is very stable and was found without too much difficulty. We set out on the upwind leg and it is so amazing to hear an audio variometer telling you sink rate, climb rate and something like altitude gained in the last 30 seconds or so. This ended up being about a 1.5 hr. Flight. At the upwind turn we were down to 150 to 200 meters and started heading back. About 1/2 way to the finish Greg CENTERED into a good thermal for about 45 sec to a minute and gained about 200 meters of altitude. That was a nice thermal. The return trip was not very eventful, just riding the up’s n downs, except for missing a turn and finishing from the wrong direction.

We attempted another climb out gut gently landed in a plowed field.

After we got back to the field, Greg put together a smaller model and that was impressive. It will ballast to 17 to 10 oz sq. Ft. And it is really impressive. It has camber changing TE and it climbs really fast and when you roll out and go down course, it truly moves out. I would love to have flown it.

Here is a post I made a couple of years ago about the Second X/C comp the Silent Fliers had in the Desert.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ry-Competition

Thats Desert. One of the things I enjoyed about the Saturday event was the smell. Just like the 20 mile course at Taft. Crops, plowed ground, Buzzards and Hawks. Great memories.
May 06, 2019, 09:41 AM
Thanks again to Marty and SVSS for putting on a very fun contest. Many thanks to Steve Henke and Bill Curry for teaming up with me. It is quite an advantage to fly with two super experienced XC pilots.

It was great to see the new team from the Spokane area (Kurt, Curtis, Mike and Rex). It was their first XC contest and they did really good.

Also good to see RnR (Rich Spicer and Richard Tiltman) out there. They definitely won the "Coolest Chase Vehicle" award with the yellow convertible Mini!

Saturday weather was kind of unusual. We never got above about 2100 feet, but never got below 700 feet. Generally weak lift topping out low. Sunday was much tougher with weak lift and wind.

Marty and SVSS came up with a really nice trophy. Solid brass sailplane!

John
May 07, 2019, 08:44 AM
Who Has It Better Than US?
Mart,

Thank you and your crew for putting on this contest and everyone’s warm welcome into the XC world.
It was great to be able to learn from the worlds best on our first XC contest.
We managed to successfully negotiate the tree tunnel 3 times which we felt really good about. We didn’t get very far on course so we left some room for improvement.
It was a great time and we plan to return for future XC events.

Rex
Team “Two Centers”
Spokane, Wa
May 07, 2019, 06:30 PM
Martin
Thread OP

XC at SVSS

The team photo from Saturday.
We have got to do this more often.

Quick Reply