Mar 09, 2002, 11:43 PM
steve neill
steve neill

Vampire rides again

Well it was time to get the Vampire I designed 2 years ago into shape for a kit. It's been sitting in the
Shunkworks for a while now and the original one I built has 2 years of flights and going strong.
So test flying phase in done. EAM will be cutting these as kits soon as I send them the templates. Foam and
balsa construction, sp 400 to 480. AUW 26-28 oz. Wing span 41 inches.
This thing goes like hell on a sp 480 race and 8 800 ar's.
Anyway Gregg traded me a nice L-39 kit for the second prototype, that got me off my butt.
I'm sure Gregg will report back on the flying part. I hope next week to get video of mine and his flying
together.
BTW, yes it hand launches with ease, no it's not EDF, but it does fly like a jet, look's like a jet and is a great
practice plane, when you don't want to risk that epoxy beauty.
Steve
to remove ads between posts
Mar 09, 2002, 11:44 PM
steve neill
steve neill
Mar 10, 2002, 02:28 AM
steve neill
steve neill
Flight video of the first prototype is at:
http://www.SNeill.com/SneillAirforce2.html
Mar 10, 2002, 05:31 AM
Nice model Steve,and good colour scheme too!
I use a Wattage Mirage for a bit of fun flying,looks like yours goes well.What flight times are you getting?
Good luck with kit sales,any idea of costs yet?

Matt
Mar 10, 2002, 05:44 AM
steve neill
steve neill
Thank you Matt,
In the flight video the plane only has a sp 400 on 8 600 ae's. So the flight times were about 4-5 mins. With the sp 480 race it's about the same with 8 800ar's. Not as fast but 7-8 mins. on 8 1700 au's.
Don't know what the price will be yet, but it is a foam wire cut kit, so it won't be bad. Now get back to that F-14.
Steve
Mar 10, 2002, 05:47 AM
steve neill
steve neill
Here's a size reference. Don't pay any attention to the tired model builder, it's been a long week.
Steve
Mar 10, 2002, 07:55 AM
Do I see an itty bitty F-14 in the corner?
Looks quite a large model for the motor size,all that wing area comes in very handy for hauling more cells around though!

You think you look tired?I'm permanently in F-14 build overload!
I once built a little E.E. Lightning in a pusher config. Flew beautifully,but ran out of lift,and had to land with virtually full power in a straight line,throttling off before touchdown.
The Lightning is a project I one day intend tackling again,not really much use in EDF,but who cares?
Would be great to see a nice scale Lightning whizzing around with it's 'invisible' prop running.I think I will build a larger version from foam again,but lighter finishing,1/2 oz. GF cloth with a tiny amount of resin still pushed the wing loading up too much!

What prop./make/size are you using steve?
You have whetted my appetite again to 'redo' the Lightning.
More wing area,lighter airframe,more cells,seems to be the formula!

How about a twin Meteor,using twin pushers (for simplicity and speed of build?)

Cheers,
Matt.
Now,back to the fretsaw!
Heres a pic.of the little Lightning:
Mar 10, 2002, 02:30 PM
steve neill
steve neill
Matt,
Your lightning looks fantastic! You should go back to it.
The prop I'm using is an out of circulation 3 bladed pusher prop from Cox. It's a 5x3-1/2. Works very well.
Think of it as an un shrouded EDF. Motor is just a GR 480 race. I'm thinking about putting this 480 bb I
have in it.
The plane does look big for some reason but the span is only 41 inches and the length 34. It's Silkspan
covered and that's where the light weight comes from.
It is tempting to more pusher prop jets. Set up right on low money, most will leave behind the expensive EDF
true jet. But those darn thing's are so neat, it seems I build more of those. Like that K&A Albatross I got in
exchange for the Vampire. Now Gregg got me in trouble again.
Matt thanks for the chat. Love the work you are doing.
Steve Neill
Mar 10, 2002, 06:26 PM

Steve's stuff

you're a good modeler Steve...I'm jealous

Bruce
Mar 10, 2002, 07:25 PM
steve neill
steve neill
Bruce,
Thank you. Don't be jealous, just get building.
Steve
Mar 10, 2002, 08:30 PM

get building

okay lets see,
sticks.yup....sheets..yup..glue sandpaper and a plan yup...I know! Ive got arf-isitis....lol
Mar 11, 2002, 06:40 AM

Vampire

Hi Steve, a while back on the B29 thread I mentioned a Vampire that I was doing, smaller than yours @ 28" , with speed 400 6v, 8 x 800AR NiCads, and a Gunther prop....flies great and goes very quick. Bungee launch.
Here she is after a mishap. I attached the nose with silicone so in the event of a crash, the cells get out of the fuselage with the least damage, and so it came to pass.................
Last edited by warbird; Mar 11, 2002 at 11:02 AM.
Mar 11, 2002, 03:53 PM
steve neill
steve neill
Warbird, That's a great job! Seems Vampire's always fly nice. Fast too. I flew my old one today, it had me shaking. No lack of power here.
Gregg test flew his today, I launched it and away it went. Great flying, better than the first.
I'll let him tell you all about it since it's his plane.
Gregg, report pilot!
Steve
Mar 11, 2002, 05:29 PM
steve neill
steve neill
Gregg. Lets see those pictures you took today of the 2 birds.
Steve
Mar 11, 2002, 06:27 PM
Purple power
i was taking a nap.

Quick Reply