She's looking gooderer and gooderer.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 09, 2019, 11:33 PM
Looks really great, waiting for the finished product

Greg
Mar 30, 2019, 09:18 PM
Alpha Whisky
Thread OP
Update - as at yesterday I completed the doculam covering. No pics at this time, but I`m very pleased with the way that came out. Next move is to make a start with the tissue (Esaki) covering. Not sure when I`ll get to this - all is going slower than I anticipated ....

Alan W
Mar 31, 2019, 09:33 AM
More pics for our admiration please.
Intermediate stages since last pic, like with cheeks/cowl, then with doculam and so on...
Apr 01, 2019, 07:35 AM
Alpha Whisky
Thread OP
OK - so here`s several pics taken this afternoon....... The fin and rudder are tissue covered, as is the underside if the stab. Since these pics taken I have managed to cover the underside of the wing. All yellow tissue used so far. Intention is to get out some red.

Soon after these pics taken more distraction - this time by a visitor bearing a pack of stubbies. Dammit - nothing is easy in this heat ..... I`ll plan for more progress tomorrow ...

Alan W
Apr 01, 2019, 09:14 AM
Lovely, as expected.
But Iím missing something. Whatís that gaping hole in the fuselage just ahead of the u/c?
Apr 01, 2019, 09:25 AM
'Douglas' to his friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by k k iyer
...Whatís that gaping hole in the fuselage just ahead of the u/c?
See post nį 15 ...

'This morning`s effort was to make up a small tank - to fit the space directly behind the firewall. That in turn will require a hatch to be built in the underside directly in front of the u/c.'
Apr 01, 2019, 09:30 AM
Dad, as I mellow (i.e., age), I get simpleton-er...
Apr 01, 2019, 11:23 AM
'Douglas' to his friends.
I concur wit my learned friend.^^
Apr 01, 2019, 05:18 PM
Alpha Whisky
Thread OP
Mystery solved .... The tank is made up and will fit between the engine bearers. It has a couple of lugs soldered across the bottom and will be screw-fixed up into place.

The upper edges of the hatch shown here locate between rails in the fuselage. It is a neat slide fit (upwards) and will be retained by one horizontal screw through the the firewall applied from inside the engine bay - simple ....

Depending on the final model balance, the Rx battery pack may locate in here too.

Alan W.
Apr 12, 2019, 04:46 AM
Címon Alan.

I know itís nearly finished. We need photoís
Apr 12, 2019, 06:39 AM
Alpha Whisky
Thread OP
Tissue covering is completed, except for the undercarriage legs. Gear is installed. I plan to drop in the engine and tank tomorrow - then maybe .....

Alan W
Apr 13, 2019, 07:43 AM
Alpha Whisky
Thread OP
Well, here you go 'fiery'.... I guess she`s pretty much completed now. I took these pics on the driveway mid afternoon today. Since then I have fitted both sides of the cockpit glazing - windscreen goes on tomorrow. I`m using 'Formula 560' adhesive for this so a little slow going. I`ve also trimmed the tank overflow pipe back a little.

Final act will be to fit the undercarriage leg-trim per plan. I`ll plan to do that next week.

Model is 3-function r/c - rudder, elevator and throttle. Engine is an Aurora Mills 1.3 with r/c carb.

Gear is installed but needs final programming, expo`s dialled in etc. Rudder needs to be reversed, but I`ll catch up with that. Elevator and throttle look good and range-check is OK.

AUW as is is 630gms - 22.2 oz. I`m reasonably happy with that. CG is spot on with the position shown on the plan.

Despite many unscheduled disruptions along the way, I have really enjoyed this build. The project was initiated through my 'win' of the recent short-kit supplied by Steve at Summit Model Aeronautics in Canada. Supplied material all first class and matching. All CNC cutting was spot-on and the model went together as straight as a die with no problems at all. Even my 're-hashed' wing evolved as planned - full 'D-Box' construction is both light and strong.

It won`t be ready to test-fly tomorrow, but forecast is for upwards of 20kts wind with possible showers so I won`t even consider that. Still plenty of time before the cut-off date. Next report here will be after we`ve tried for a maiden flight ....

I`ll take a few days off and then it`s back into the R6-B for OH Cowra ....

Alan W
Apr 14, 2019, 01:34 AM
So pretty. Aptly named. Well done Alan. This latest creation has the look of an airframe that will waft along beautifully on low power.
Apr 14, 2019, 03:07 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Lovely Alan - a worthy rendering of one of Vic's nicest designs. I particularly like the trim lines.

Quick Reply