Jan 22, 2019, 07:35 AM
Alpha Whisky
Thread OP
Discussion

SFV 2019 - Pretty Baby

Vic Smeed is one of my favorite designers of small vintage vintage sport models - I have built a few of them over the years.

On being advised that I was lucky enough to have won the recent RCG draw for a short-kit ex Summit Model Aeronautics in Canada, I soon decided to order a short kit for his 'Pretty Baby' from them. This model contains a few notched fuselage formers and it appealed to me to have someone else take care of these ....

Several days after placing my order I learned that this model will comply with the specs for this current SFV build-off, so it was logical that I registered this model to take part.

I expect it will be a week or so before that short-kit arrives, with a fullsize plan, so right now I am sort-of cooling my heels awaiting it`s arrival. While waiting, I have being giving some thought as to how I will approach the R6-B project for Oily Hand at Cowra in August, and have made a start on my amended plans.

Also, at the urging of the guys out at the field, I have managed to produce a small O/D control line model. The last CL model I built was a 'Princess'. That was back in 1974... That one flew well, but there has been a lot of water under the bridge since than and I don`t think I`ll be hanging off the handle for this one ....

Alan W
to remove ads between posts
Jan 22, 2019, 03:00 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Subscribed.
Jan 23, 2019, 01:35 AM
Subs

Ross
Feb 15, 2019, 12:16 AM
Alpha Whisky
Thread OP
OK - so the short-kit prize for this model has arrived and all looks very good. Despite having another model on the go, R6-B for OH at Cowra, and a few other loose ends to tie up, I have committed to this project and will now get underway.

Steve at 'Summit Model Aeronautics' who supplied the short-kit suggested I wait until it arrived so I could compare his included fullsize CAD drawing against my OZ download and check that both drawings were same size to avoid any conflict. In the event, there was no variation to worry about and so my first action has been to prepare my own rough wings and tailplane drawing inasmuch that my wing construction differs greatly from the Vic Smeed plan, and Steve has cut the ribs etc to my specification.

My plan caters for my preferred full 'D-Box' construction, In doing so I have relocated the mainspar - shifted it forward - to cater for the LE sheeting to be most economically cut from 4" wide sheet balsa. Also, the T.E, detail has changed to comprise 2 x strips 1/16" balsa rather than the more difficult to source triangular TE stock shown, so the ribs have been extend to a sharp point. Also, I have detailed for the multi-hedral wing to be fabricated in five separate panels and simply butt-joined at the dihedral breaks.

I have attached a copy of both the original plan and my amended version if anyone wants to compare. Steve has programs for both the original plan and my altered version in his inventory so either is available for order. I can provide a PDF version of my drawing if anyone is interested.

It`s too late in the day to set up another building board, that will have to wait until the morning .....

Alan W
Feb 15, 2019, 12:37 AM
Alpha Whisky
Thread OP
Here`s a copy of that PDF wing detail if anyone is interested...

Alan W
Feb 15, 2019, 01:28 AM
B for Bruce
The CL stunt model looks great!

Did you do a lot of CL flying back in the day? If you did then it's pretty much like riding a bicycle... it doesn't go away.

I proved that to myself when I got "voluntold" that I was to be the other pilot on a CL combat demo two years ago. I was a bit rusty but it sure didn't seem like the 15 to 17 year hiatus that it turned out to be when I got talking to the guy that dragooned me into the demo. Seems that the last time I'd held a handle was a previous demo by the same guy and it was in fact 15 to 17 years previous.

Mind you I did LOT of CL flying in my teens and early 20's. So that may count for a lot.

But the moral of this post is don't count yourself out of the action. In particular if you're OK with flying figure 8's when you get dizzy that can save the day. If you feel yourself starting to loose it just start some nice big lazy figure 8's on the downwind side of the circle and get your feet tucked back in under your keester and carry on..... but along with that it's not a bad idea t all to start with half a tank of fuel....
Feb 15, 2019, 09:36 AM
Summit Model Aeronautics
Alan,

Looking forward to seeing this come together! For anyone else interested in the CAD plan, it's available on the Outer Zone downloads page for the Pretty Baby. Scroll down to the "Supplementary PDF Files" and it's the download entitled "Pretty_Baby_oz34_PDFvector_hogal.pdf". It's a faithful tracing of the original plan, but done in CAD and as a result very clean.

Steve
Feb 19, 2019, 05:23 PM
Alpha Whisky
Thread OP
Have at long last managed a start. The tailplane items were laid up a few days ago. Looking good and have since been lifted from the (well used!) building board.

This morning`s efforts will be aimed at laying up the, in this instance, five separate wing panel items, including the centre-section.

[QUOTE=BMatthews;41180147]The CL stunt model looks great!

Did you do a lot of CL flying back in the day? If you did then it's pretty much like riding a bicycle... it doesn't go away.

I didn`t do a lot of CL flying although it was my first venture into powered model flying. Five of us young school kids felt our way without any parental or outside guidance although the school sanctioned our model building in the craft class for about an hour a week. My first effort was a copy of a KK Phantom Mite powered with my ED Bee. Such was our self-taught learning that even now I would fly with the handle 'upside down'. The ED Bee was eventually replaced with a new Mills .75 ( I still have and use it ).That wasn`t well suited to CL flying and I soon drifted away into free flight. I did build a few other CL models along the way, APS 'Princess' was one and my favorite was an ED Racer powered 'Peacemaker'. Could manage that OK, but never got into serious combat. I still have plans here somewhere for a 'Nobler' and also a 'Thunderbird'. Unfortunately, one of my afflictions due to age is poor balance. I even have trouble looking skywards to fly r/c unless propped against something solid and any further hands-on CL flying is unlikely to happen....

Alan W
Feb 19, 2019, 05:49 PM
B for Bruce
Yeah, that would sure put a crimp on flying CL in general and in particular for doing any combat.

I see you've gotten a start on the Pretty Baby. It's going to be a cute one.
Feb 20, 2019, 03:41 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
I can sympathise with the balance issue Alan, that is one of my problems in the last few years together with reduced mobility. I would love to fly a C/L model again (would be electric though) but know I would definitely fall over. As it is I find faster R/C models challenging enough; fortunately our field at Vayres is equipped with plenty of chairs and I have become quite proficient at flying sitting down, even models like the Sharkface, Extra 260 and Scorcher from a chair conveniently positioned by the runway. Strangely enough I have no problem with doing take-offs, general flying and aerobatics from this position, but find that I just HAVE to stand up to do the approach and landing. Weird.
Feb 20, 2019, 05:19 AM
I have a cunning plan ...

Installation of removable galvanised steel pole in the centre of the circle for Alan to hold on to as he walks around.

I flew Alanís C/L trainer. My first session on the handle in 41 years. Needless to say it performed its role with aplomb. I also came out with aircraft and balance intact.
Feb 20, 2019, 11:29 PM
Alpha Whisky
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer
I can sympathise with the balance issue Alan, that is one of my problems in the last few years together with reduced mobility. I would love to fly a C/L model again (would be electric though) but know I would definitely fall over. As it is I find faster R/C models challenging enough; fortunately our field at Vayres is equipped with plenty of chairs and I have become quite proficient at flying sitting down, even models like the Sharkface, Extra 260 and Scorcher from a chair conveniently positioned by the runway. Strangely enough I have no problem with doing take-offs, general flying and aerobatics from this position, but find that I just HAVE to stand up to do the approach and landing. Weird.
Hi George, seems we may be in the same boat. A previous club, well established, had a permanent pilot station comprising a substantial tubular steel fence about 6 metres long with steel mesh infil. I could lean up against that and fly r/c all day long. For r/c gliders I would pull up one of those plastic BBQ chairs. Stand up to hand launch, sit down to search for thermals at leisure, and then stand again for approach and landing - all good ....

Back to topic . Have been chased from the workshop owing to the heat and will bail out from here shortly for a session in the pool .... I have managed to get the main wing panels to a state of near build completion . Shear webs, top sheeting and top cap-strips applied. Next move i to lift the panels from the board and apply most of the lower cap-strips - easy. The I will cleanup the wing-roots and butt join them with epoxy. I elect to fit the plywood braces to the glued result rather than fit them first and try to arrange the dihedral to suit the braces... I`ll leave the centre-section panel for later. Haven't decided whether to go for rubber band wing retention or use a couple of dowels and bolts which may be neater ....

Alan W
Feb 21, 2019, 08:45 AM
Summit Model Aeronautics
Alan,

You're not wasting any time! Build looks very nice so far.

Steve
Feb 28, 2019, 11:12 PM
Alpha Whisky
Thread OP
A little more progress .....

Outer wing panels have been joined and roughly sanded. I have decided I`ll retain the wing with dowels and bolts rather than rubber bands and so won`t make the centre-section until I have properly prepared the top of the fuselage.

The fuselage is coming together well. I`m very impressed with the precision of the CNC produced formers - everything aligns and fits beautifully. This model was obviously not designed for r/c. All formers, cut to the plan detail, are solid with no provision for control runs etc. Prior to gluing the formers into position, I cut voids in all but the rear-most former to cater for radio gear, servo cables, pushrods etc.

All in all, I`m really enjoying this project. Despite all my design interference, it`s coming together very nicely - so far .....

Alan W
Mar 09, 2019, 09:00 PM
Alpha Whisky
Thread OP
I managed another good morning in the workshop yesterday. The wings are now joined and fitted to the fuselage. I elected to mount the wing with a couple of dowels and bolts into blind-nuts at the TE - neater finish than rubber bands.

The tailplane has also been fitted. All has come together straight and true with minimal coaxing - couldn`t resist taking a couple of pics. This model is coming together nicely and really model appeals to me as the epitome of a small balsa sticks and tissue model.....

This morning`s effort was to make up a small tank - to fit the space directly behind the firewall. That in turn will require a hatch to be built in the underside directly in front of the u/c.

Torrow I will start closing things in ....

Alan W

Quick Reply