Thread Tools
Jan 11, 2020, 05:59 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin
I haven't made the current 60" Extra yet, but I think that's all I've missed. I've done all the others and I built them on the best flying planes I could find. If you have an older Extra it's here: http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...s&userid=38513

Make sure you fly the Velox too. That's my favorite.
Thanks Doc for the reply.
In fact I'm not really looking for the exact replica of the Extra but more a good trainer that would reproduce the difficulty to fly a balsa plane of this size.
Not sure if I'm clear but to explain a little. I'm used to small foamie planes like Twisted Hobbies etc ... But when I did some flights on my EF Extra, I was disapointed by the difficulty and the fact that the foamies are WAY easiers.
This season I want to pursue my goal and work hard to be able to harrier, do some hovering etc ... with the EF Extra.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 11, 2020, 07:45 PM
Team Extreme Flight
Doc Austin's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimibar
This season I want to pursue my goal and work hard to be able to harrier, do some hovering etc ... with the EF Extra
Giver this a look...……………. http://docaustinextreme.blogspot.com...ide-to-3d.html
Jan 14, 2020, 03:29 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin
I got your point Doc, I've been reading your guide quite often and it is priceless !
I know that the sim won't be exactly the same as the reality but getting a plane close to the real one is helping a lot.
I used to train quite a lot for heli training and the most important part on the sim for me is muscle memory.
That's why I'm looking for something close to my extra or at least to a 60" balsa plane.
Is it possible to use the RFG3.5 on RealFlight 9 ?
How can I import your models ?
Should I consider using the Velox or is there a better plane ?
Thanks again !
Jan 14, 2020, 11:34 AM
Team Extreme Flight
Doc Austin's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimibar
Is it possible to use the RFG3.5 on RealFlight 9 ?
Have only tested them on 3.5, 6, 7 and 8 but generally older planes work with newer Realflights.

Quote:
How can I import your models ?
My planes are just color schemes, but I built them on the best flying planes I could find. On my plane's download page, there is a line that says "requires." That's the baseline airframe, and you need that before you can put my color scheme on it

On the upper toolbar, go to Simulation/import/realflight archieve , and then a window will open so you can choose the file. I usually put the file on the desktop because it's easier to find! Instal the baseline file first, then the color scheme.

Quote:
Should I consider using the Velox or is there a better plane ?
You mean for real or for the sim? My planes are just color schemes, so all the 3DHS Velox and Extras fly the same because I used the same base plane for both. I used another Extra (that is essentially the same plane) for my Extreme Flight Extras, MSX, Laser, and Slick 580 because I didn't want to compromise the flying and that plane looks pretty good with any color scheme I put on it anyway.

As far as for real, the Velox would be fantastic for a second balsa 3D plane. It's stable enough to be a 3D trainer, but the Edge is best for most new guys. However, it's the perfect plane for my style of flying. If you're a sharp young pilot, the Velox would be fine though. Especially if you have heli experience and good rudder skills, you can learn 3D on any of the Big X planes.
Last edited by Doc Austin; Jan 14, 2020 at 11:58 AM.
Jan 14, 2020, 06:02 PM
Registered User
Thanks a lot Doc, I was able to import the "old" model and your color scheme successfully !
For the Velox, I was talking about the sim but I can see that it is using the same base model.
I just tried it and it feel really easier than my Extra 60" v2, I think i'll have to deal with it and work the muscle memory !

Edit : can you disable the smoke ?
Edit 2 : Found it !
Last edited by jimibar; Jan 14, 2020 at 06:10 PM.
Jan 15, 2020, 03:45 AM
Registered User
Do you think it is worth a repair or should I just buy a new wing ?
Jan 15, 2020, 01:09 PM
Team Extreme Flight
Doc Austin's Avatar
If you are excellent at repair work, sure. If not, it might not be worth risking the plane when a single wing is pretty inexpensive. I generally don't like to repair high stress areas, but then again, I hate repair work and am not good at it.
Jan 15, 2020, 01:47 PM
Team Extreme Flight
Doc Austin's Avatar
Looks like I'll be building a white V2 soon. The yellow went together so beautifully and effortlessly that this should pure entertainment.

Of course I'll be using the Xpwr/Torque 4016 and Airboss 80 esc, with Castle 10 amp BEC or maybe even a the Castle Pro unit. Servos are kind of up I the air, but I'm so pleased with my DS110 that I'll probably go that way instead of the more expensive DS205s.

For a long time the original 60" Extra EXP was my flagship that I took out when it was important to leave a good impression, and it always delivered for me.
Jan 15, 2020, 05:38 PM
Registered User
Repair done !
Do you know what kind of covering EF is using ? Oracover ? Ultrakote ?
Jan 15, 2020, 05:50 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
Oracover and Ultracote are the same thing.

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Jan 15, 2020, 06:09 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin
Looks like I'll be building a white V2 soon. The yellow went together so beautifully and effortlessly that this should pure entertainment.

Of course I'll be using the Xpwr/Torque 4016 and Airboss 80 esc, with Castle 10 amp BEC or maybe even a the Castle Pro unit. Servos are kind of up I the air, but I'm so pleased with my DS110 that I'll probably go that way instead of the more expensive DS205s.

For a long time the original 60" Extra EXP was my flagship that I took out when it was important to leave a good impression, and it always delivered for me.
Definitely do not need a pro for a 60” but have you tried the Castle BEC 2.0? It’s now 14 amp and has dual servo plugs to share power to the RX. I have been using that instead of the 10 amp BEC and zero issues with my 60” Extra and Slick both running Promodeler DS110CLHV

Edit: The 2.0 is also pretty much the same price as the older 10 amp, so it’s worth the try if you go that route
Jan 15, 2020, 06:34 PM
Team Extreme Flight
Doc Austin's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan
Definitely do not need a pro for a 60” but have you tried the Castle BEC 2.0?
That's what I'm using now and they have been perfect. I think the V2 replaces the V1, but it's Castle, so I would trust it.

Quote:
It’s now 14 amp and has dual servo plugs to share power to the RX.
More current is definitely better. I'll have to try one.
Jan 15, 2020, 06:40 PM
I am not a robot
Sideslip's Avatar
It's only 11amps on 6S @ 8V. But still that should be plenty for a 4 mini servo plane?
Jan 18, 2020, 08:10 PM
Registered User
Trill's Avatar

Great video!


Quote:
Originally Posted by sensei
A little New Year’s Day flying. https://youtu.be/KWk1rQGEFk0

Bob
Great video!

I enjoy videos where I can hear the sounds of the motor. Sometimes you can hear the servos and movement of the control surfaces too!
Jan 18, 2020, 08:17 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
^^^^Agreed!!!^^^^

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log Official- Extreme Flight 60" Extra 300 EXP Build thread Ducati Mechanic 3D Flying 7013 Dec 02, 2019 06:52 PM
Discussion Extreme Flight 60" Extra 300 EXP - All Things Considered JC Spohr 3D Flying 490 Sep 25, 2018 10:36 PM
Question Next 48" plane: Extreme Flight Vanquish or Extreme Flight Extra 300 EXP bbrc77 3D Flying 7 Sep 27, 2017 12:22 PM
Help! Extreme Flight 60" Edge 540T EXP or 60" Extra 300 EXP Liberty10 3D Flying 12 Aug 10, 2012 10:36 PM