Aug 20, 2019, 05:17 PM
Ok was able to put together a similar device as shown earlier to check the CG. Where the battery is in the previous picture is nose heavy, 3 1/2" away from tube. 2 1/2" off of the tube looks to be about neutral.

Not sure why mine needs to be so far forward but I guess the test doesn't lie. I'm going to split the difference between the 2 Mark's which is just a slight nose down and go from there. Thank you for all of the help everyone! I'll let you know when I maiden it, how it goes.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 20, 2019, 06:14 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallguy44
Thank you. An inch away from the tube it looks to be very tail heavy. I used my fingers and a great planes CG tool and I feel this is the closest to balanced I feel it is. It's balancing at the middle of the tube to the back of the tube. In the front of the tube it seems to drop quickly in the rear. As you can see, my battery is way forward. I got a strap to work to hold it along with velcro but I feel like something is not right if you're against the tube on a 3300 and another is an inch off it with a 3700. I still have some wires to clean up but here is where it sits. After the last crash being very tail heavy I'm completely not trusting myself. Took me a long time to build this as I don't get a lot of time to work on my planes.

And btw, I am checking the plane inverted with spinner and prop on etc.
Don't balance inverted..

And unless they are 'really' off, neither EF or 3DHS planes are a problem if a bit tail heavy.

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Aug 20, 2019, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT.
Don't balance inverted..

And unless they are 'really' off, neither EF or 3DHS planes are a problem if a bit tail heavy.

SteveT.
Thanks. As described above in post #541, that was upright.
Last edited by Fallguy44; Aug 20, 2019 at 06:28 PM.
Aug 22, 2019, 07:49 PM

The Consensus

Removed

See the "Reason for Editing"
Last edited by Trill; Aug 22, 2019 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Ignorance of the Cross-posting rule and ignorance of the law is no excuse!
Aug 25, 2019, 10:19 AM
Crazy 3D
Good morning everyone, instead of go to the fiel and fly, I will be building this beautiful airplane, whatever I say it is not enought to describe the well done airframe EF has done.
So here I am
Aug 25, 2019, 10:26 AM
Team Extreme Flight
What's the tape for?
Aug 25, 2019, 11:11 AM
I am not a robot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin
What's the tape for?
I be a thinkin' it so you can mark the holes for the servo mounts. Not really a bad idea sense the PM servos are not the same size as Hitec servos.

Has me a little worried, because the mounts for the servos are composite material. I'm going to find out how hard it is to open those up a couple of mm without making a mess of it.
Aug 25, 2019, 11:31 AM
Crazy 3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin
What's the tape for?
I have to slightly enlarge the mounts to fit the Promodeler, so this way I know how much I have to sand .
Aug 25, 2019, 11:35 AM
Crazy 3D
“ I'm going to find out how hard it is to open those up a couple of mm without making a mess of it.”
It’s not that hard as it looks.
Aug 25, 2019, 12:15 PM
Team Extreme Flight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy 3D
I have to slightly enlarge the mounts to fit the Promodeler, so this way I know how much I have to sand .
Thanks. I'll try that next time. I'm getting ready to put a set of DS110 in my MXS, so that will come in handy.

How do you like the fit on that tail?
Aug 25, 2019, 12:29 PM
Crazy 3D
Its awesome Doc, I like the composite material around the servo mounts.
And the fit on the tail is wonderful
Aug 25, 2019, 12:44 PM
Crazy 3D
Where the short one goes?
Aug 25, 2019, 12:52 PM
I am not a robot
Geeze I hate getting old. But it's either rudder or elevator. You shouldn't have too much trouble figuring it out for sure. One of the surfaces (rudder or elevator) is thinner, and the long ones would go in too deep.

EDIT; It's the elevator. The following is from the manual. But the new horns have one short one for the elevator as you have discovered.

You may need to sand the bottom of the horn so that it does not protrude through the top surface of the elevator.
Aug 25, 2019, 01:22 PM
Crazy 3D
Thank you Sideslip

“Geeze I hate getting old.” You are not the only one , Iam in that way too
Aug 25, 2019, 01:40 PM

The Right Configuration: Efficient and Neat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan
Had the chance to get all the parts to finish my Extra. I ended up going with 4 Promodeler DS110CLHV for all surfaces, an Aura8, and dual lemon DSMX RXs. For power I use the Xpower motor, Airboss esc and Castle BEC. Had two flights to trim, figure out good battery placement and get comfortable. I have about 40 flights on my 60 Slick v2 and the Extra just as amazing, immediately locked in and able to harrier down fairly low. Luckily only brought 4 batteries with me because I might have been pushing a little bit much on a first day but I can definitely say I am impressed. Another solid home run from EF and once again Im in love!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HbMgGdHSSI4
Your configuration with Aura 8 AFCS and two Lemon satellite antennas along with ProModeler DS110CLHV servos is what I am considering for my 60" wingspan planes.

Is the speed of the DS110 servos in conjunction with your Aura 8 producing a noticeable difference in performance?

The "snakeskin" on your servo wires and satellite wires makes the interior look great!
Last edited by Trill; Aug 25, 2019 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Added photo

Quick Reply