Jan 22, 2019, 06:54 AM
It’s good that the yellow scheme isn’t available in the 120 or 170cc size. If it was I’d be explaining to my wife why I had to have another plane!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 22, 2019, 01:20 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the man
Chris,

Excellent work. I'm just curious what sort of weight reductions are we talking here over the V1 Extra. Also have there been any aero modifications?

All the Best

Danny
Here's a copy and paste of my reply to the same question presented on Facebook this morning:

"First, aerodynamically the model is the same. There is simply nothing that needed to be changed. The 60" Extra remains our top selling model in the 60" class for a reason, it performs extremely well in all flight regimes. In looking at how to improve the model, we knew that by incorporating our more recent construction techniques we could make a more rigid model and reduce the weight a bit as well as making the model easier to assemble, all wins in my book. The yellow/red/blue Extra that I just assembled and that is featured in the pics above is 4.51 pounds ready to fly less battery. That is roughly 3 ounces less than the last V1 version that I built. That may not sound like a lot but in a model this size that is significant. More importantly the model is extremely rigid, it features the strongest landing gear mounting system we've yet incorporated in a model this size and it utilizes a self aligning stab mount that makes the most difficult assembly step (for most people) a snap. And of course the V2 features two badass new color schemes. Hope this helps."
Jan 22, 2019, 01:49 PM
Team Extreme Flight
Man, that self aligning stab is the best construction aid I've ever seen. I've built five 52" Slicks and two 60 with this, and all of them came out perfect with no tinkering. The only important thing is to get the stab pushed all the way forward. That way the notched face of the stab presses up against the alignment former in the fuse and assures dead on alignment. I still measure them just out of paranoia, but they have all been perfect.
Jan 22, 2019, 02:34 PM
Watts Up
Sounds awesome Chris! Can we get a couple pics from inside the fuse? Thx
Jan 22, 2019, 03:20 PM
Certified Wingnut
Does this mean there will not be the 57" Extra that was discussed earlier?
Jan 22, 2019, 03:58 PM
Well referring back to what Chris originally posted about this plane, I am definitely in the "failing eyesight due to old age" group. And the fact that I am very partial to the Extra design and flight characteristics.....wow....I had my eyes on a new 52 soon but this one just may have to go on my wishlist!
Jan 22, 2019, 05:10 PM
Thread OP
A couple detail pics:
Jan 22, 2019, 05:13 PM
Crazy 3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREME FLIGHT
A couple detail pics:
Awesome airplane, sure I will get one
Jan 22, 2019, 05:22 PM
Watts Up
Sweet thanks!
Jan 22, 2019, 05:30 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREME FLIGHT
A couple detail pics:
Anyone else feel a brief urge to buy a second fuse and just hang it on the wall as shown in that pic (no canopy, cowl, etc) as a work of art?
Jan 22, 2019, 05:49 PM
Watts Up
Not sure about that but I'm trying to resist purposefully crashing my 60" edge so I can buy this plane.... and yes I know owning them both is the obvious reality!!

What I really want in the 91" updated into these schemes and construction, my 70 need a new home
Jan 22, 2019, 05:51 PM
awesome to see the v2 series continuing, just a quick question, is there anything in the pipeline for a v2 64" mxs?
Jan 22, 2019, 08:23 PM
Chris is there a 50 cc Slick, Extra or somthing else in the 3D 50cc class coming anytime soon?
Jan 22, 2019, 09:27 PM
I also sent pics to my son showing him the new version of his white/blue extra. He liked the idea of the CF and a lighter airframe but was not as stoked by the schemes as I was. Guess young eyes don't need the "busy" look...lol

I think having a spare 60" EF airframe ready to assemble is just good fun management should one re-kit theirs. I never felt so bad as when I trashed my 59" 3DHS slick and they were out of production. I will always have a backup now

Daryll
Jan 22, 2019, 09:46 PM
Chris,

Many thanks for the reply mate - I do appreciate it.

All the Best

Danny

Quick Reply