Jan 21, 2019, 11:32 PM
Wow, 300 ft hedge to hedge, that is a challenge for anything other than a foamy EDF. With 10 ft obstacles at either end, that'll give you only 150 ft of runway rollout length.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 22, 2019, 02:49 AM
I have access to a field as described. I would only consider flying my Avanti there but the flex would work as well. My Fw A10 handles grass well and can take off quickly but the landing would be tricky. Even foam edf don't like to slow down. You have to clear the hedge and then you have little room left to land. The flex or an f16 can use high alpha to slow.
Jan 22, 2019, 02:59 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofro
With EDFs or any jet you need long and shallow approach for an ideal greese on landing, 10 ' hedge on each side doesn't sound very good. I battle a bit with some heavier wing loaded jets on my grass, rather ragged 70x8m strip with the ditch and creek on each end.
Short footage of one of flights yesty with 12S powered "hunk", pretty heavy for a foamy at close to 5 kilo, no flaps to slow it down. Always good challenge to taxi it back to your feet, after landing.
https://youtu.be/U9iSzUiGDNY (SS dead calm)
Quite a lump for a foamy, that’s about the same as my Trex 700! Nice video and thanks for sharing, it helps quite a bit, I haven’t watched many edf videos to see how they land
Jan 22, 2019, 03:01 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quorneng
TrexDominator700
A modern looking EDF?
Attachment 11589429
Actually the original first flew in 1954 but it did get to Mach 2 in 1956.

Scratch built as a super light EDF and being a delta it has plenty of area but also a scale very thin wing.
Its an easy hand launch/belly land.
Nice plane, not sure I’d fancy scratch build though, are deltas more ‘floaty’, I’m making the assumption that they have more wing area?
Jan 22, 2019, 03:03 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruff
How about a Flexjet. lies great on 6S off of grass and comes with the Aura 8 already installed. Great aerobatic jet.
Bob
I’ve a read a few posts on here where people haven’t had much luck with them on grass, that was my first choice tbh, I own the flex qq’s And the cap, so a flex jet makes sense to me. It was the posts about them not handling longer grass very well that put me off.
Jan 22, 2019, 03:05 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruff
Both are good EDFs! I just wanted a bigger EDF then the 80mm.
Bob
Is there much difference in power between the 90mm and the 80mm? Is there anything the flex can do that the avanti can’t? And visa Versa?
Jan 22, 2019, 04:03 AM
jofro
90mm will give you much wider range than 80 and naturally more power. There is no limit what any EDF model can do if you have the power and keep it reasonably light. With 10 feet obstacle on each end forget about EDF jets. Rather look for the new field. Att. few more flights of my short strip with hotted up foamies both 90mm on 8S .
2018 1203 162700 085 (3 min 58 sec)
(Mirage at field)
2019 0106 154125 092 (3 min 36 sec)
(F16 dead calm)
Jan 22, 2019, 04:52 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofro
90mm will give you much wider range than 80 and naturally more power. There is no limit what any EDF model can do if you have the power and keep it reasonably light. With 10 feet obstacle on each end forget about EDF jets. Rather look for the new field. Att. few more flights of my short strip with hotted up foamies both 90mm on 8S .
https://youtu.be/tr7sbDkNtJM (Mirage at field)
https://youtu.be/pHOpEBVBjJI (F16 dead calm)
Not sure I would want to look for a new field tbh, and seeing as I can land a 120cc there, it covers my current needs. Thanks for the vids though.
Jan 22, 2019, 08:29 AM
Foam addict
Find a used FW Avanti and you will not be disappointed. If you want scale, go with the FW Venom. They both fly with the same battery.
Jan 23, 2019, 04:19 AM
jofro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrexDominator700
Not sure I would want to look for a new field tbh, and seeing as I can land a 120cc there, it covers my current needs. Thanks for the vids though.
Landing 120cc powered 3D model and landing a jet are two different things. With the slight bit of head wind even 20m strip was good enough to land my 100cc Katana.
Jan 27, 2019, 09:03 PM
IDIDNTFEELATHING

Not modern but awesome EDF

This many people cant be wrong. And they are NOT. I currently have 17 EDF jets RTF any given weekend and If I was only allowed to keep one this would be it NO question. Although it is in no way modern looking, It is a Beautiful unusual incredible flying jet and is perfect on short grass runways 90mm and a full flight envelope.

Jason

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Swiss-Edition
Jan 27, 2019, 11:20 PM
jofro
Body, awesomness is in the eyes of beholder, I currently fly over 30 EDFs and turbines, but "the" above is one model I would never get my hands on just for its ugliness! Yakk!
Jan 28, 2019, 04:34 AM
Foam addict
Thankfully we all don’t have the same taste!
Jan 28, 2019, 05:50 PM
jofro
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheonixarrison
This many people cant be wrong. And they are NOT. I currently have 17 EDF jets RTF any given weekend and If I was only allowed to keep one this would be it NO question. Although it is in no way modern looking, It is a Beautiful unusual incredible flying jet and is perfect on short grass runways 90mm and a full flight envelope.

Jason

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Swiss-Edition
Just as ugly as "Venom", (I have always wondered who for the heaven sake ever design these?) but pretty nice for a beginner to start with, even with the tiny wheels and the stock set up I have no problem taking off my rugged grass strips, tho, the beach hard packed sand is magic to fly it off.
Jan 29, 2019, 04:51 PM
I fly my SeaVixen off ice when it's smooth. Makes a great runway!

Quick Reply