Jan 26, 2019, 09:53 PM
Hummingbird Assassin
Yep, I've got about 30 Blades including 3 MCPX BLs and they handle 'good'. But the XK handling blows them away and the durability of the K110 is unreal plus parts are 1/3 the cost of Blade. I used to fly a lot of non-stop 3D on the MCPX BLs and was always burning up tail motors or 3-in-1 MOSFETS. And that was while flying 3 so 2 could always be cooling while 1 was flying.

The XK stuff costs literally 1/10 the money to keep flying and the handling is like it can read your mind. No more burnt up $70 3-in-1s or $20 MCPX BL brushless tail motors that use cheap bushings instead of bearings. I was lucky to get 4-5 weeks out of those brushless tail motors and had to buy several 3-in-1s a year.

I'm not near as big of a fan about my K120s as my K110s, and my 2S K110s are amazing. I'm hoping the K130 can compare to the 2S K110s but without having to do the 2S mods before you fly.
Last edited by BirdBarber; Jan 26, 2019 at 09:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 27, 2019, 01:12 AM
Let's Go Mets!
Does the K130 allow switching between 6g and 3d modes like the K110? Or do you have to land first like the K120?
Jan 27, 2019, 12:58 PM
the k120 has 6g? huh, never noticed
Jan 27, 2019, 01:14 PM
Heligamist
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi46
Does the K130 allow switching between 6g and 3d modes like the K110? Or do you have to land first like the K120?
It can be switched mid flight. I fly everything in stability mode
Jan 27, 2019, 02:18 PM
Let's Go Mets!
Awesome to know there's a failsafe switch to hit before TH
Jan 27, 2019, 02:50 PM
Sir Crashalot
Had mine yesterday. Test hovered in the backyard for about 2 minutes just now, in normal mode (not idle up), landing several times to get used to the controls. No comments regarding flyability right now, but I felt around the heli after the brief flight and found that the tail motor and the battery were both quite warm, while the main motor was down right hot (to the touch). May be too soon to levy judgement, but I don't have high hopes as far as durability. The outside temp is/was about 71 by the way. Oh, and the tail motor was whining almost the whole time, just hovering.
Jan 27, 2019, 03:02 PM
Slideways at warp speed.......
Thread OP
From listening to the videos to date it sounds like it’s underproped on the tail. I’ll be trying a k123 blade on it.
Jan 27, 2019, 03:25 PM
Let's Go Mets!
I have a selection of tail rotors from different past helis. Do you think it needs a bigger rotor, Craig?
Jan 27, 2019, 05:21 PM
Hummingbird Assassin
This may be the first heli that we take 1/4 of a ducted fan quad and mount to the tail boom.
Last edited by BirdBarber; Jan 27, 2019 at 05:30 PM.
Jan 27, 2019, 05:25 PM
^ lol!
Jan 27, 2019, 08:07 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdBarber
This may be the first heli that we take 1/4 of a ducted fan quad and mount to the tail boom.
Thatís not a bad idea. Frankenheli freastron tail !
Jan 27, 2019, 08:44 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi46
I have a selection of tail rotors from different past helis. Do you think it needs a bigger rotor, Craig?
Remlen uses the k123 tail blade with a slight trim on his 2s twin brushless
Jan 28, 2019, 09:48 PM
30 yrs. Of Aircraft flying!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_craig
Eco8gator if you haven't flown an XK heli then your in for a treat, they are miles ahead of that old blade stuff, piro comp is damn near perfect on these guys ! the XK k110 makes those old MCPX BL units look like a dinosaur.............
I was blown away first time i flew a XK120 after years of mcpxs there so much better flying machines i really need to get another one. now the jumper tx is around think i would like it over stock tx
Jan 29, 2019, 01:43 AM
Thread OP
Okay, units arrived, been through it and note the following

3mm drive shaft, vs 2.5mm on the K110/120 etc so the main gear is not a swap.

Rotor head, swash etc very nicely made, by the size of everything"m guessing a 2mm feathering shaft for sure.

Chassis is quite beefy, even though some what narrow it has decent cross section depth, nice and stiff, reinforced canopy mounts like the K120. Tail mount all solid.

Tail boom is 6mm vs 5mm on the K120

Tail fin has a locating screw so it can't spin around into the tail blade the K120 can do.

10mm tail motor, very powerful and very fast reacting, suspect it needs more prop diameter to quieten it down.

Canopy is allot thicker than the 100/120 units and should be pretty durable. Canopy though is a very tight fit as it quite narrow and is snug on the main motor wiring on the LHS.

Board is firmly fixed to the chassis plate by three screws. Front 2.4ghz unit is the RX aerial, no blue tooth..........

Battery inserts at an angle up into the canopy nose. Longer batteries will stick out and down a bit more, don't think it will be an issue.

ESC unit just seems to be sitting in there contained by the wirings ? no foam mount obvious ?

Fast bind on the X6 transmitter supplied.

First Hovers:

Feels nice in the hover with smooth fluid reactions, 3g / 6g hi and lo rates all feel nice. did not try idle up yet, RPM range is very high easily in the 6000 plus rpm range. it very much like teh trex 150 with a very high head speed deal going on !

feels very much like the trex 150, nice and fluid but you know it will move extremely fast if you fang the sticks

Servos
desk top testing the servos, on high rates the travel is enough to get the head unit binding and the servos straining if you hold the travel to the max, low rates no issues. Servos are a bit jerky, I think a run with a servo tool to help bed them in would be a good idea.

Servo's, same size as the Trex 150 units but have conventional servo lug mounts. The blue Arrow servos for the V950 fit perfect, but the plug size is still not right, 1.5 vs 1.25. Clearance to the servo horns and the chassis is tighter then than the Trex 150 X.

Tested the ES9251, Trex 150 and JX 56MG servos with a range of adapter plugs, all run fine - good. I didn't have a correctly setup plug for the Blue Arrow but 99% sure it will run fine if all these other guys do so. Blue Arrow and JX servos are pretty much drop in and go but need to sort the correct ends.

the JX56MG looks to be the best bang for the $, metal geared and around $6 -$7 each.

pretty sure the stock servos are the "new" digital units from PZ servo co when you run-through there online catalog

the max 9251 are a tad small, though the newer S II version might be better, also a bargain but the K130 rotor head might find their limits.

The things that have me pondering:

The ESC does have a kick then a nice slow spool, buggy start like the K120. Once spinning then a very slow idle speed and nice spool up, tail was some what fussy and kicking around until it was spun up and then everything behaved and lift off was very smooth and gentle, very nice indeed and precise into initial hover.

Been through two gentle hover cycles on the battery to give it a fighting chance.

The possibly not so good; The main motor gets damn hot, 70 degrees hot, this is not good and must be on the limit of what's survivable........ and thats only garage hovering, I'm thinking a swap out of the esc will be in order ....... if it gets that hot then thats also why the loctite on the pinions have let go on others !!

Tail motor is a cool 39 degrees C, well survivable.

First Impressions

Overall a damn solid well built bird IMO and the flight manners seem very nice indeed, this is going to a super fun flier, plenty of power also noting theTX only shows 60% throttle on linear mode and only 80% on Idleup ? there is more "go" in there me thinks ???

ESC seems to be the only question mark, and if needed plenty of options on the servos

next to check the Devo 10 sets using my K110/120 flight models.

WEAPON GRADE FOR SURE
Last edited by kiwi_craig; Jan 29, 2019 at 02:21 AM.

Quick Reply