Jan 28, 2019, 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole
In order for Theory 3 to be correct, the drone would have to remain in place relative to the ground while the plane moves around it. I don't think that's what we are seeing in the videos. I think Theory 2 is the closest to reality.
Did they actually show in the video the drone hovering while stopped then accelerating hard? I don't remember seeing that in the video (and on a call so I can't check now). It was super clear when they turned that the air wasn't significantly affecting the orientation/position, same with under braking.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 28, 2019, 10:50 AM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Yeah, I'm basing that off the braking. While the drone did move forward, it did not appear to move forward at the same rate of the deceleration of the truck. Hard to tell though really. We need better video of this.
Jan 28, 2019, 08:49 PM

What Happens if You Fly a Drone in a Plane

Its a falcon 3D, its quite a capable little thing, I really enjoy flying it, what about yourself? okay, ignore that, i see what you have.
Jan 30, 2019, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole
Yeah, I'm basing that off the braking. While the drone did move forward, it did not appear to move forward at the same rate of the deceleration of the truck. Hard to tell though really. We need better video of this.
You'd need another point of reference to really see.

Video from another car moving the same speed filming the truck beside it, car keeps going the constant speed when the truck hits the brakes.
Then video inside the truck shooting across the width of the truck showing the drone in frame.

Compare the relative speeds of the two, if the drone moves less compared to the truck than the truck compared to the car then the air is affecting it. If the drone moves about the same amount relative to the truck as the truck relative to the car, then the air isn't doing anything.

The cameras need to be in a fixed position too, with the camera moving around it's really hard to judge speed/distance at all.
Jan 30, 2019, 07:26 PM
I Hate Orange Props
You could simulate the effects on a drone by releasing down feathers or dandelion seeds or something while the airliner is taking off.
Jan 31, 2019, 08:29 AM
wow, repaid1, some people are really stubborn. Using your "logic" a seaplane will never take off from a river with a strong current. Exact same principles at work here. Since you claim to be a pilot (as am I), then you know that a plane accelerates forward due to the propeller chewing into the air in front of it, nothing else. The wheels aren't driving the plane forward nor will they hold the plane back.

You are so wrong. The wheels of my plane would spin faster to match the treadmill but my AIRSPEED indicator inside the plane will continue to increase just like any other takeoff roll.

As for the OP question, I am not 100% sure. I do know that on takeoff roll, the hair of the hot blonde in the seat in front of me doesn't blow back from the cabin air moving backwards. I just don't know for sure if the cabin air has enough force to carry the drone forward as the air accelerates forward. There isa forward force of the cabin air moving forward with the plane holding that hot blonde's hair perfectly still.
Feb 07, 2019, 01:15 AM
lurking in the HOLE :)
What controller does the Tiny Whoop have?

We are all getting lost in the less significant issue of what the air is doing. The main issue here is what the controller is doing.
Feb 17, 2019, 10:11 AM
I have not read each and every post yet.
1. if the aircraft has cabin pressure it does Not actually mean pressurized. Just that it is at an approxamation of pressure at close to sea level.
2.With out a seat belt and (this is a second tricky part) and kind of gyro control the quad will move just like any unbelted passenger in an aircraft or train for that matter. If there is a rapid acceleration the quad will move toward the aft till pilot of the quad or structure stops it. When the aircraft stops suddenly the quad will continue forward along the aircraft till the same happens. If the aircraft rises or drops suddenly it should hit the roof or land on the floor suddenly for the same reasons , But the drone is held at a hight in the cabin while the plane is somewhat stable by the air under and below it. Slow rises and declines should make only miner changes in the drone height. But the presecense of a gyro. which will redude any sudden movements of the drone will change all of this...
. at least based on newtons laws this is the way I see it happening.....
Feb 21, 2019, 04:08 AM
jab
jab
Unregistered User
Can't belive this thread is still going.

Next time you fly, bring a tennis ball or something with you. Throw it up in the air during take-off while the plane is accelerating and it will 'fall' towards you (back of the plane). Then throw it up in the air after the plane has leveled of at cruising altitude and there is no turbulence, and the ball will behave as normal. Or to put it in even simpler terms. If you can't feel any acceleration forces while sitting in the airplane seat. Then there are none, and things will behave as expected.
Last edited by jab; Feb 21, 2019 at 04:13 AM.
Mar 06, 2019, 04:25 PM
OP......................................

"Anyone remember the old trick question about a plane sitting on a treadmill running at the same speed as the take off speed of the plane? The question was would the plane take off or sit still? It takes off of course."

I disagree.

Quick Reply