Jan 18, 2019, 08:03 AM
InJamNoOneCanHearYouScrea m
Thread OP
Discussion

2019 Soaring NATS: COUNTDOWN T-2 days to go!

Folks,
With the concurrence of the LSF BOD I have submitted this morning the following schedule and fee structure to Yolanda Jones at the AMA. She is gathering the information from all the SIGs for upcoming release.
V/R,
Wally

Event Rosters: https://www.modelaircraft.org/nats-s...=212&year=2019

RC Soaring July 31 August 12
-Jr/Sr; Free
-Adult: Basic Registration fee plus fees listed below.
-All entries must be postmarked by July 15, 2019. Matrices available 7/22.
-Walk-Ons Accepted: Separate checks for 1) AMA Registration Fee and 2) LSF Event Fee plus $5 late fee made to LSF accepted at scoring trailer.

Event Director(s) - Gil Gauger and Wally Adasczik

WEDNESDAY - FRIDAY July 31 - August 2
446 F3H/ LSF Tasks (Monroe Central parker City, IN) FREE --- Wally Adasczik CD

SATURDAY- SUNDAY August 3 - August 4
462 F3K HL Glider (Site 4) $30 Wally Adasczik - CD
463 ALES (Site 5) $30 --- Ron Smith CD

8/3/19 - NATS Catered Dinner - Yardbird, corn, mashed pots, dessert...all the fixins
8/4/19 - TALES hosted by a Jack Iafret standin! This is an awesome 3 round mini-contest!!

MONDAY - TUESDAY August 5 August 6
464 F5J (Site 5) $30 --- John Marien CD

WEDNESDAY - THURSDAY August 7 August 8
444 Unlimited (Site 5) $30 Walter Adasczik
Annual Meeting 8/7/19 @ AMA headquarters

BBQ Dinner courtesy of John Deniz

FRIDAY - SATURDAY August 9 August 10
460 RES Sailplane (Site 5) $10 Jim Deck
461 Nostalgia (Site 5) $10 Jim Deck
442 Thermal Soaring 2 M (Site 5) $10 Jim Deck
456 F3J Thermal Duration Gliders (Site 4) $30 Jim McCarthy CD

SUNDAY - MONDAY August 11 August 12
F3RES (Site 5) FREE <----------
F3B (Site 4) FREE <----------
Last edited by wadasczi; Jul 30, 2019 at 08:21 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 19, 2019, 11:39 PM
Maarten
Nice Job Wally.

Thanks Maarten
Latest blog entry: CR Climmax pro
Jan 22, 2019, 07:56 PM
Service Engine Soon
Thank you Wally. It's a long time before then but I am planning to be there this year for the hole thing.
Feb 09, 2019, 08:21 PM
I do not know if this is the correct place to ask this question. I plan to fly in 464 F5J and will disable the the altitude and vario by deselection them on my transmitter. I have receiver that has those function built in which I use when flying ALES. If that is not ok then I guess I will skip 464 F5J event as I'm changing receiver between events. Changing the telemetry set up is simple task that does not affect the plane set up with a Spektrum DX9. F5J is something I'd like to try. I've read that the receiver may have to be changed to fly F5J at the Nats level.

Art
Feb 16, 2019, 02:57 PM
Thread OP
Art,
First glad you are thinking of possible coming to the NATS for F5J and ALES.

Second, turning off the gizmodic vario/altitude aspects via transmitter switch is questionable. If you forget to do it and flip the switch by accident during a round, get caught, you will no doubt plead mea culpa, but you will still get a zero for the round. That decision is up to you. When in doubt just put a normal receiver along with your CAM or ALTIS or similar recording device in for F5J. Sure its a little extra work but the guys you fly with will be happier, the CD will be happier, the Event Director will be happier, and most of all the President of the LSF who has to break up all the fighting on site and in the Groups will be ecstatic.

V/R,
Wally
Feb 16, 2019, 06:04 PM
The Mr. Rogers of RC soaring
I think you guys (people who are leaders in RC soaring) are going to have to decide on this sometime and I would suggest leaning towards the honesty of the competitors. Receivers with built in stability systems, altimeters, etc. are going to be more and more the norm. If the event doesn't allow those things I would suggest that if they can be disabled by the contestant that should be sufficient. I could be wrong on this but we seem to really need every contestant we can get. I really doubt that anybody is going to be lining up to fight Art for having disabled altitude sensing devices in his plane.

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Feb 17, 2019, 10:02 AM
Thread OP
Ryan,
I agree it is a matter of honesty and integrity and the advancement of electronic technology is faster than the rule base can ever keep up with. I have never met or flown with Art but I bet he is an honest and outstanding individual.

My conundrum as the President of the LSF is this is a 5A contest, the Sailplane Nationals, and the rules are specific. The CD of the event can modify the rules as they seem fit, file a sanction modifying said rules, advertise those changes and it will be all good, but for now I wish to respect the rules as written.

Wally
Last edited by wadasczi; Feb 17, 2019 at 10:12 AM.
Feb 17, 2019, 10:09 AM
Thread OP
Ryan,
As you are more astute in the technological advances of the receiver phenomenonology would you please write up a rules change proposal.
Wally
Feb 17, 2019, 10:47 AM
The Mr. Rogers of RC soaring
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadasczi
My conundrum as the President of the LSF is this is a 5A contest, the Sailplane Nationals, and the rules are specific. The CD of the event can modify the rules as they seem fit, file a sanction modifying said rules, advertise those changes and it will be all good, but for now I wish to respect the rules as written.
Wally,

The Nats organizers modified the Nostalgia rules several years ago without following any process at all. Just decided that it was the thing to do. Allowing disabled devices in F5J seems to me to be a smaller variation than changing what models are allowed in a limited model design contest. So you could just as easily make the same call here as "the right thing to do to encourage more participation". The precedence has already been set.

For that matter, what Art is asking about might not even be fully disallowed in the rules. Have we even read the rules to actually confirm that what he is asking about is for sure explicitly disallowed?

Quote:
As you are more astute in the technological advances of the receiver phenomenonology would you please write up a rules change proposal.
HARD PASS. I tried that a few years ago with the Nostalgia rules. I spent a lot of time working on a rule change proposal. It seemed to be voted on by the contest board. It seemed to have passed. Then I got completely over by the contest board deciding to completely rewrite the soaring rules without informing the community that they were doing that and definitely without informing the people who took the time to submit rule change proposals they were doing that. So yeah, I am not wasting my time with the rc soaring rule change process again.

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Feb 17, 2019, 11:21 AM
Sorry but I’d like to get te answer before the event. If not allowed I’d watched. I’m not going to risk a glider, they are to hard to come by. If I fly in any F5J event I would do it by disabling the vario and altitude. If one has a vario set up they would have to ave some sort of read out that everyone observed.

With the Spektrum DX9 I can disable the vario and altitude and I would not receive any info. If I forgot to disable or did it wrong the altitude and vario would be heard by anyone near by. I always have the voice on to keep up with what flight mode the transmitter is in.

At an event when I changed out a CAM I messed up the antenna and crashed a glider. So changing out a receiver is to risky for me. I’m not a flier who will expect to be competive but would like to fly in the ALES and F5J events. I’m sorry but I’m old and depend on altitude read out allot, vario not so much for ALES.

Art
Feb 27, 2019, 12:17 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
I had just about decided it is too far to come from Weatherford to Muncie to fly 2 events. But I have changed my mind. I'll be there. I cannot commit to when, but hopefully I'll be there a couple of days early and will be able to help the organizers in some way. Wally, I'll look you up when I arrive so I can be of some use to you.

Jack... AKA... Darth Midair
Feb 28, 2019, 02:37 PM
Thread OP
Darth,
What days are you planning to come? I wont ask you to CD but maybe help the CD round up the troops or score keep of an hour or two.

I am already planning on making sure you and I don't fly in a round together to avoid a three-pete in whatever we fly against each other.

I also say fly a couple other events and be a spoiler! Nothing better than jumping into a contest with no plans and then taking home some wood!

Yer Humble Bumble,
Wally by Golly
Last edited by wadasczi; Mar 01, 2019 at 12:39 PM.
Feb 28, 2019, 08:37 PM
Play loud, Fly high

Get together

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman
I had just about decided it is too far to come from Weatherford to Muncie to fly 2 events. But I have changed my mind. I'll be there. I cannot commit to when, but hopefully I'll be there a couple of days early and will be able to help the organizers in some way. Wally, I'll look you up when I arrive so I can be of some use to you.

Jack... AKA... Darth Midair
Hey Jack, unless I suffer a relapse , God forbid, I can play a bit of guitar again and I have a few new models to show off. You have to come.
Mar 08, 2019, 03:13 PM
Thread OP

Be A CD and Fly The NATS For Free

Title says it all. Volunteer to CD an event and fly that for free!
Last edited by wadasczi; Mar 16, 2019 at 06:38 AM.
Mar 11, 2019, 06:47 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Quote:
Darth,
What days are you planning to come? I wont ask you to CD but maybe help the CD round up the troops or score keep of an hour or two.

I am already planning on making sure you and I don't fly in a round together to avoid a three-pete in whatever we fly against each other.

I also say fly a couple other events and be a spoiler! Nothing better than jumping into a contest with no plans and then taking home some wood!

Yer Humble Bumble,
Wally by Golly
I'll probably show up about August 2 in the late afternoon...

Darth PapaJack

Quick Reply