Jan 17, 2019, 03:43 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

CAP 2019. The "Meise", Italian OT glider

It has been a long time since I last published something here but I have constantly followed every building logs.
I have been busy, flying, mending or adjusting my planes and following other model projects.
Time now to mingle with you all and present The “Meise”, a vintage glider designed by Romano Mazzoncini and published in 1945 on “L'Ala” which was one of the few Italian aviation magazines of the time with some pages devoted to model planes.
Meise is German and stands for Tit. The plan shown here was redrawn by my friend Marcello Zunica, he is the current editor of the Italian vintage model bulletin “L'Aquilone”, the bulletin of S.A.M. 2001 Chapter.
Once redrawn, Marcello had started to build the model for R/C but, mainly due to the age, he had lost the itch to finish it and took the decision to give the frame to me.
My intention is to convert the model to R/C electric RET.
The picture shows the conditions of the model I got from Marcello.
For whom interested, I have sent Marcello's CAD plan to Outerzone and in few days it'll be part of the collection.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 18, 2019, 01:41 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
That is an elegant design Guizzo, typical of Italian models of the period. Are you planning on a nose mounted motor or a power pylon maybe?
Jan 18, 2019, 03:55 PM
Thread OP
Thanks SD for your kind comment. For what concerns the motor, I'm going to install it on the nose, doing my best not to spoil too much the look of the fuselage.
Bored to launch my Nibbio ( similar to the Maise for shape and dimentions) with the usual sling & rubber catapult, I initially made a pylon for battery, motor and controller but weight and glide efficiency were disappointing. I dismissed it and installed the motor on the nose improving performances.
I actually prefer even the look, once in the air!

For this model I may choose from a number of motors. All are rescued from my friends' crashed planes or helicopters.
I wonder if the last ones, being high revs motors, may be a wise choice for my Meise.
Pros are the limited dimensions which will make the motor and smaller prop less visible, cons are the high revs and the lower efficiency of the propeller.
Suggestions are welcome!

I Start to work on the stabilizer and elevator.
The stabilizer spar do not provide adequate torsional rigidity; the elevator needs a proper leading edge. Tips require a lot of sanding to reduce thickness.
Jan 18, 2019, 04:50 PM
B for Bruce
Guizzo, if you want to fly as a pure glider some of the time what about the idea of a replaceable nose block?

My thoughts are that for the motor version the nose block would have a tray attached that extends back into the fuselage and holds the motor and flight pack battery. A single long cross pin could pin the motor nose to the model and when pulled out the whole motor and battery tray slides out much like the old ignition systems did on the old spark engine powered old timers.

For a pure glider version a shorter tray with the radio battery and nose weight in the nose block would slide in and be pinned in place.

The old vintage gliders so often grab that "feel" of what a great looking model airplane really is. And your Meise and Nibbio have that look in large amounts.

Was there more than one Nibbio? I've got a plan from somewhere for a Nibbio which has strongly swept back wing tips and the stabilizer is mounted about half way up the fin.
Jan 18, 2019, 05:53 PM
Klaatu barada nikto
Gliders designs of the 40's were very elegant, Emmanuel Fillon created quite a few during his long career.
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=9016
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=4950
http://lesgpr.free.fr/construire/cha...hampionnat.htm
Jan 19, 2019, 04:07 AM
Yes Bruce, there was more than one "Nibbio" (Italian for "kite" - the bird I think rather than the flying toy). The first one I was aware of was by Silvano Macera and is a smaller version of his beautiful 140 inch "Turbine" which I used to have and left behind when I moved to France in 2006, it is the framework shown in the photo together with a small scale solid sheet version I also built. Guizzo's "Nibbio" is an entirely different design by Di Valenti - as shown in the jpeg.
Jan 19, 2019, 03:54 PM
Thread OP
Bruce, I like your idea! Thanks.
While I proceed with the building, I see what's possible to do.
Maybe a simpler solution could be a removable motor (quite easy to do!) and substitute the power battery with a smaller one while maintaining the C/G unchanged. Then, a balsa nose block may take the place of the motor, returning to the model its original profile!

Right SD! Nibbio means Kite, while the flying toy is Aquilone.
It seems there are a number of models named Nibbio, Di Valenti's is one of the many! Mine, although very similar for shape and dimensions, comes from the pencil of Mario Rodorigo. The main difference is the fuselage section. The first has an “ice cream cone” section, while mine is rhomboidal. Not easy to spot Though!
Actually, My Nibbio is another model my friend Marcello donated me; it had flown many times and I received it with the wing seat damaged. I mended it and flown as a glider for a couple of years, afterward I installed the motor pod and finally the motor went on the nose!
Jan 20, 2019, 06:14 AM
Ah right Guizzo, thanks for the correction, I was only aware of two Nibbios, but given that the name refers to a soaring bird it is bound to be a popular name for a glider!
Jan 26, 2019, 12:47 PM
Thread OP
This week I was sidetracked from working on the model since I had to take care of my lathe that was in need of a careful cleaning!
Sometime I use the lathe to work wood parts for my models and, in the years, the wood dust trapped by the lubricant made a messy blob that increased friction and slowed the moving parts.
It took me three days to dismantle, clean parts and put them together but it was time well spent.

I've almost completed the horizontal tail.
In Marcello's model the stabilizer was placed 20mm forward the position shown in the original plan ( now on Outerzone list!). I suppose he did this to facilitate to make the missing elevator and rudder. I'll keep this modification unaltered.
The elevator halves had the leading edges missing. I made them using two different strips of balsa glued together. The softer one is in front so it easy to sand a chamfer to form the hinge line. Added the two missing ribs and applied balsa gussets to the trailing edge (pics 1 , 2 & 3).
As designed, the shape of the elevator do not allow sufficient angular excursion to the rudder. I'm changing it and in the picture, the left elevator still has the original shape, while the right has the new one (pic. 3).
The last picture shows the tips of the stabilizer and elevators. I'm sanding them down as the one on the top.
Jan 26, 2019, 03:01 PM
B for Bruce
Appearance wise there's certainly no ugly ducklings named Nibbio! Everything in this thread so far has a very elegant and classic look to it.

I'll be following along and looking forward to the final photos.
Jan 27, 2019, 12:25 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews
Appearance wise there's certainly no ugly ducklings named Nibbio! Everything in this thread so far has a very elegant and classic look to it......................
It seems that adding the motor right on the nose, I'm doing my best to give to my model a more “casual” elegance!

Definitely a fashion show of vintage elegance!
Jan 29, 2019, 12:27 PM
Thread OP
Working on the vertical fin.

I can't see how Marcello would have fixed the stabilizer to the fin!

I choose to remove it from the fuselage and change the way it joints.
The fin required also a healthy sandpapering and, first time in my life, while sanding the fin base with my disk sander, the glue ignited and the fin started burning!! I had to dip it in water to extinguish the embers!
Jan 29, 2019, 05:40 PM
'Douglas' to his friends.
The speed at which I do sanding, that's unlikely to happen to me..! Slow down; you'll finish her all the sooner..!
Feb 03, 2019, 01:51 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad3353
The speed at which I do sanding, that's unlikely to happen to me..! Slow down; you'll finish her all the sooner..!
Oh no Dad! Don't expect a fast building for a sedate glider! I went ahead just a little bit...

Quick Reply