This thread is privately moderated by RetoF3X, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 17, 2019, 01:50 PM
F3B and F3K
Thread OP
New Product

US F3K Team - Jakabszállás, Hungary

Dear all

This thread is intended to keep you up to date with news from the US F3K team, during its preparations for the worlds and when the big show is happening.

The US team for the upcoming F3K world championship consists of the following senior pilots : Toby Herrera, Nathan Bartley and Reto Fiolka. Gavin Trussell is the alternate. The junior team consist of Noah Myers, Owen Haugh, Paul Reese. Ryan Gonsoulin Jr is the alternate.

Team manager for the senior team is Charles “Mickey” Nowell and the Junior team manager is Scott Myers. Rick Jay will complement the team as a helper. The worlds will take place on an airfield near the town of Jakabszállás, which is about 65 miles from Budapest. See also the official homepage for more information: http://www.f3kwch2019.com/

As you may know, going to the worlds overseas is a very costly endeavor. We will have a traditional raffle and promise to deliver the prices more timely than last time. To ensure that, we will shift the logistical burden from one person to all team members to make the load more bearable. We also prepare some unconventional fundraising projects, so please stay tuned.

Your support is needed and greatly appreciated, as it allows us to focus more on the handlaunch part than the financial aspects. If you want to support the team now, you can make a payment to [email protected] .
If you do not like Paypal, please contact Colleen Pierce at AMA (either check or credit card ). Please indicate that it is for the F3K team fund.

We are all very excited to represent the US at the worlds and we are very motivated to represent you well over there. The team is a good mix of experience and talent. Both the senior and junior team have great potential to do well. We hope you will enjoy following our journey and hope to see you at a flying field across the US.

US F3K team
Last edited by RetoF3X; Feb 05, 2019 at 04:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 17, 2019, 01:51 PM
F3B and F3K
Thread OP

Toby Herrera

I have been flying RC sailplanes since 1990. My passion for the sport came at an early age while watching some of Americas greatest soaring Icons compete in F3B and Thermal duration events within my local Club (Albuquerque Soaring Association) and regional/TS events in the late 90’s. Taking a break from soaring to pursue education I came back into the hobby in late 2013 finding F3K and reigniting my love for soaring and competition. I am excited to represent and fly for my nation once again in Hungary this July. Expectations are high and a team medal is all that is on the mind!
Last edited by RetoF3X; Jan 18, 2019 at 04:27 PM.
Jan 17, 2019, 01:51 PM
F3B and F3K
Thread OP

Nathan Bartley

I started flying sailplanes with my dad in my early teens & kept with it until I was about 20. Got back into modeling in my early 30s building, flying, and crashing powered planes. Flying all types of models, 3d, canards, helicopters & anything experimental that I could build. I always kept a sailplane to fly, & got into competing in LMR contests, until I picked up my first dlg about six years ago and now, all my powered stuff is collecting dust. I'm Proud to be a National Champion and even more honored to be a part of the team representing the US at the World Championships. All this would not be possible without the support of my wonderful wife.
Last edited by RetoF3X; Feb 23, 2019 at 12:44 PM.
Jan 17, 2019, 01:52 PM
F3B and F3K
Thread OP

Reto Fiolka

I started model flying in 1994 with a rudder elevator sailplane and fell in love with rc-soaring. I flew my first F3K contest in 2006 and was in the fly offs at the first F3K world championships in 2011. Since moving to America, I have been very active in the US F3K scene. I would say that I have gained a lot of experience over the years in F3K, which has helped me to achieve consistent results.
I am very excited about our team for this cycle and representing the US at the worlds.
Last edited by RetoF3X; Jan 18, 2019 at 10:43 AM.
Jan 17, 2019, 01:52 PM
F3B and F3K
Thread OP
Noah Myers will be traveling to his 4th FAI World Championship in Hungary this summer representing the USA on the US F3K Jr. Team. Noah was a member of the 3rd place Jr. Team at the 2015 F3K World championships in Croatia and looks forward to working with his current team members as they take on the best Jr Teams in the world this summer. Noah would like to thank Team Armsoar, and all of those folks back home who have supported him these many years!
Last edited by RetoF3X; Feb 23, 2019 at 12:42 PM.
Jan 17, 2019, 01:53 PM
F3B and F3K
Thread OP

Owen Haugh

Owen Haugh has flown F3K for three years, and represented the United States in Ukraine in 2017 on the junior team. He’s looking forward to reconnecting with F3K friends in Hungary this summer, and between now and then, he’s busy deciding if the BAMF, CX5, or Vortex 3 is the best platform to take to Worlds. When he’s not flying hand launch, Owen enjoys flying racing drones, mountain biking, 3D printing, and generally messing around in the shop, where he always has at least a few projects in the works.
Last edited by RetoF3X; Jan 21, 2019 at 09:18 PM.
Jan 17, 2019, 01:54 PM
F3B and F3K
Thread OP

Paul Reese

I have been flying (powered) RC since I was six. I started flying sailplanes when my dad would let me launch his Lyftworx Swyft, which was produced by a family friend. Over time, I flew the entire Lyftworx line, rebuilding them as necessary. Then, after a summer of flying increasingly beat up airplanes, it was recommended to me that I fly DLG, as it was a higher performance option over the SAL gliders I had been flying. I have since flown almost every local contest, though I only started placing well during the spring of 2018. I am confident in the abilities of our team and will be pleased to represent the US in Hungary this cycle.
Last edited by RetoF3X; Jan 18, 2019 at 01:38 PM.
Jan 17, 2019, 01:54 PM
F3B and F3K
Thread OP
Rick Jay:
I’d always been fascinated by RC aircraft, finally in 2007 I got started. Did the typical “I can do this on my own”, bought a RTF electric plane, crashed/repaired/crashed/repaired/etc. After a couple years of improving around 2009 I saw a YouTube video of a DLG launch and being a lifelong golfer was fascinated. Fortunately, the Seattle area has a large DLG crowd and getting help/instruction was simple. Flew my first contest in 2010. Since then have flown in 67 contests and CD’d over 40. I’m very passionate about all things DLG related and have spent the last year or so helping/teaching/tutoring Paul which has been very rewarding seeing his growth. I’ve built planes from scratch (vac bagged up to CNC molds), and repaired more than I like to acknowledge so will also be able to help keep things in the air if needed. I’m very excited to be a part of the team and help any way I can.
Last edited by RetoF3X; Jan 26, 2019 at 01:35 PM.
Jan 18, 2019, 01:51 PM
*Full Disclosure* Im a Gorilla
Thanks Reto!!
Jan 18, 2019, 03:45 PM
iVoid Warranties
Thanks for starting this up Reto!
Jan 23, 2019, 11:02 AM

Your flying sight

46°45’02N 19°36’17E. Per Google Earth looks to be an awfully good sight to fly at.
To bad they don't think the USA is coming as we are not listed anywhere.
Cary
Jan 29, 2019, 06:45 PM
How do you get on the team?
Jan 30, 2019, 12:48 AM
Mike M.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_crash
How do you get on the team?
It's easy . Just place in the top 3 at the official USA F3K Team Selection contest, held every other year. Last one (for 2019 team) was held Oct 19-22, 2018, in Americus, GA. The one before that (for the 2017 team) was held Sept 3-5, 2016, at AMA headquarters in Muncie, IN. Earlier TS events were held in UT, CO, NC, etc. I assume the next one will be in the fall of 2020 (for the 2021 team), location/date TBD.

It used to be that one had to "qualify" to compete in the Team Selects by finishing high enough in one or more major F3K qualifying events. But that requirement was removed this last cycle. Now anyone can compete for a spot on the team by just paying the entry fee, showing up, and flying your guts out. You do have to be a card carrying AMA member, and pay a fee to the AMA to enter the F3K TS program each cycle.
Feb 01, 2019, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly
It's easy . Just place in the top 3 at the official USA F3K Team Selection contest, held every other year. Last one (for 2019 team) was held Oct 19-22, 2018, in Americus, GA. The one before that (for the 2017 team) was held Sept 3-5, 2016, at AMA headquarters in Muncie, IN. Earlier TS events were held in UT, CO, NC, etc. I assume the next one will be in the fall of 2020 (for the 2021 team), location/date TBD.

It used to be that one had to "qualify" to compete in the Team Selects by finishing high enough in one or more major F3K qualifying events. But that requirement was removed this last cycle. Now anyone can compete for a spot on the team by just paying the entry fee, showing up, and flying your guts out. You do have to be a card carrying AMA member, and pay a fee to the AMA to enter the F3K TS program each cycle.

Hmmm ....., new life goal! lol
Feb 04, 2019, 02:52 PM
iVoid Warranties

Raffle Prize 1

Armsoar BAMF, custom paint scheme for Paul Reese.
They are all in the 210-230 range, with GRX-6s for receivers, X08s, and Rise 650 mAh batteries. There are 3 of these in the raffle.
Also include custom wing bags

More raffle info shortcoming
Last edited by flyinghedgehogs; Feb 04, 2019 at 03:32 PM.

Quick Reply