Jan 16, 2019, 08:58 PM
I'd rather be flying.....
Thread OP
Build Log

SVF 2019 1st 1/2 The Falcon Model Airplane Co. Westwind 24" 1946 rubber model

All -

For the 1st 1/2 2019 SFV this is the Falcon Model Co. Westwind, a 24" rubber powered fuselage cabin model. I have an original kit. The attached plan is a scan of the original kit plan. I will attach parts sheets scans when i locate them....

I will build this model per plan for rubber free flight..... Thanks Bruce for another fun build .....

More later,

jeff
Last edited by JeffMac; Jan 16, 2019 at 09:11 PM. Reason: finish post
to remove ads between posts
Jan 16, 2019, 11:47 PM
Summit Model Aeronautics
"I have an original kit" - holy smokes, an original kit of a 1946 model? Are you sure you want to build it?

Steve
Jan 17, 2019, 04:23 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Yeah, get it built Jeff - models belong in the air not in boxes on shelves!!
Jan 17, 2019, 06:07 AM
That's right: build it!
That's exactly what I am now doing and have been for some time.
However, I do photocopy the printwood and do a rough parts list so that I can always do a second build later, with the plans and scrap-wood etc. all kept in the original box.
So, blow of the dust and stick the knife in Jeff!!
Jan 17, 2019, 07:44 AM

Falcon Westwind

Darkened and did a little cleaning. One of the better scans posted.
Jan 17, 2019, 11:36 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Gene for your fine work !

Guys, this kit is not of any premium quality so there will be little lost by building it. All the wood and plan is scanned and I may scan the box as well. Besides, there are mainly just about 20 wing ribs and some stick wood , nothing elaborate on this model.....

And, it looks like a throwback , even for 1946, and will please me to see one flying .......

Thanks for the comments....

More later,

jeff
Last edited by JeffMac; Jan 17, 2019 at 11:36 AM. Reason: sp
Apr 01, 2019, 10:51 PM
Thread OP

Westwind has begun

All -

Well ,the Thunderbolt is winding down ,time to really start up the SVF Falcon Models Westwind 24" rubber model from 1946.

Closely inspecting the kit : the wood is very, very bad - only the 3/32 square , Trailing edge 3/32 * 1/4 , the nose block and the nicely sawn prop blank are useable. So, some sheet wood was selected and stripped to provide 1/8*1/16 and some 1/16 square. The printed parts sheet was copied and the patterns mod podged lightly to some nice 1/16" sheet.
The wing ribs are die cut on a very poorly sawn sheet - the plan pattern will be used to make a template.

The plan call outs have an odd error - 1/14" wood.

Luckily , I have in stock some Sig and Esaki tissue to cover this model - the original tissue is not useable.

Some printer copies of the plan sections are being used to build the tail assembly , not the actual kit plan sheet. I need to have a print made of the full size plan, thought i had that part done already......

More later,

jeff
Last edited by JeffMac; Apr 01, 2019 at 10:55 PM. Reason: sp
Apr 03, 2019, 09:21 PM
Thread OP
All -

Westwind progress : The stab( pale white with blue tips ) and rudder/fin ( orange ) are completed and covered with Esaki tissue.....

I need to get to the office supply and copy some plans, including a full size Westwind, to continue this build.....

More later,

jeff
Apr 04, 2019, 07:00 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
This ought to be a fun build,makes me think I need to build the sky master.I still have my old winding rig in the rafters of the garage,just need to get some new rubber.
Apr 07, 2019, 11:23 AM
Thread OP

Progress

Do it, Scottie...... be prepared to chase it a mile

All -

Yesterday i spent 70 USD on printer cartridges to save 4 USD on printing a full size plan of the Westwind.
Who says rubber powered models are inexpensive ?

The 8.5 * 11 copies were trimmed and aligned - this Sunday morning a fuselage side was built up. The cement is now drying. Leter, the second side will be assembled.....

More later,

Jeff
Apr 13, 2019, 02:48 PM
Thread OP

Westwind Progress

All -

Slow Falcon Westwind progress has occurred...... The fuselage is nearly complete, the tail assembly is complete and covered. The fuse and tail used a few original kit 3/32 stick....

A couple pics are included...... The wing, prop and nose block are next.....

More later,

jeff
Apr 20, 2019, 10:14 AM
Thread OP

Westwind fuselage progress

All -

The Westwind is moving slowly, but moving.... Got the landing gear bent and installed this morning. My fingers would not fit in the fuselage to wrap the thread without using some surplus surgical hemostats/clamps......

I'm enjoying watching all builds wether i comment or not, keep going and having fun..... I must get back to the Jimmy Allen Thunderbolt wing mounts......

More later,

jeff
Apr 22, 2019, 05:55 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
Looking good,how many strands of what size rubber do you plan to use?
Apr 23, 2019, 10:32 PM
Thread OP
Scottie, I was /am planning on 6 strands ( equal to 3 loops ) of 1/8th Tan II a few inches longer than the fuselage. It's a fairly large 11 inch saw cut kit prop so i want a mild burst, long motor run...

The wing rib template and ribs are next.....

Best regards,

jeff
Apr 24, 2019, 05:31 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
That ought to do it.You may want to fit a D/T had the same set up in my first Guillow's arrow and lost the bugger and that was with the plastic kit prop.

Quick Reply