Jan 16, 2019, 05:45 PM
Lover of scale R/C
Thread OP
Discussion

Another Hawk

OK dont hose me guys for posting here, but thought I'd share what I made with you.

OK its a pusher, but I leaned a few things from my last EDF build.
I just wanted to get one of these up in the air so with the appearance of micro quad copters , I stole some of their tech for this build.

It's powered by a Diatone Edge 1104 600KV micro brushless.

It's flying weight is between 91 to 94 grams depending on the battery.
Runs off 2s 70c packs around 260 to 325 mah.

But I discovered an issue I hadn't realised before which I think caused one of the micro HK servos to fail before testing.

Found today on this one that the turtledeck was heating up and servos became snatchy and slow.

I had assumed the VD5M frsky micro rx put out 5v to the servos.
I used a regulator with a pot to put 6v into my rx ( which can run from around 3.3 to 7.2v )
Wrong! It puts out what you put in and these servos like 4.8v and no more.

Luckily these digital iterations of this 1.7 gm servo didn't fail completely so I knocked the voltage down to 4.8v.

Checked again, all good. Used my laser thermometer to check servo temps and both on 20 c now and steady, servos working well for over 5 mins of testing, so that's the fix.
Apologies if you guys know this already.

So here she is on a quick test.
141 grams on a mid 90s gram aircraft.
If I let go with the nose up, it'll accelerate away.

Pulls just 8.4 amps max , ESC is a mini quad version too, 20 amps in a ridiculously small package.

Test flying next week. I can't wait.
Set expo at 60% and about 5mm each way on the tailerons.

Hope you don't mind this post on here.

Cheers

Matt

Indoor test of the motor.

Power testing new GF 2540 tri blade prop. (0 min 36 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jan 16, 2019, 07:43 PM
Nice model!
Surely a two blade longer prop would be more efficient?
Jan 17, 2019, 02:36 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Nice stuff Matt!
What is the wingspan and the fuse looks plastic? More details!!
Jan 17, 2019, 06:52 PM
Lover of scale R/C
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged
Nice stuff Matt!
What is the wingspan and the fuse looks plastic? More details!!
Glad you like! Ha ha I sent you one of these to Aus.
You'll remember now

I made a little video of the process, actually thinking of going smaller on the prop to negate torque swings as much as possible..

Anyway a condensed video of the build all in one

A video with build sequence photos from my recent desktop static model conversion. (2 min 27 sec)
Jan 17, 2019, 08:38 PM
Great video too.
Thanks for posting.
Jan 18, 2019, 12:25 AM
GRUMMAN
Great Job, very nice model. Excellent finishing work, thanks for posting.
Happy Flying
Mo
Jan 18, 2019, 03:10 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
I thought it may have been - but wasn't sure.

It's still here waiting for me to cast it and use the clones so I don't lose the original unit.
Jan 18, 2019, 11:51 AM
Looks good/nicely assembled.
Ain't light tho.
My micro ALFA d9 at 17" ws (1;24th) weighs in at 65 gms.. its' max suggested flying weight
Jan 18, 2019, 05:06 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
My Micro Hawk with lipo weighs 92g. This sucker will scream through the air no worries. Landing will be fast though - find some nice slippery grass Matt.
Jan 19, 2019, 06:56 PM
Quad Erat Demonstrandum
Nice Hawk
Jan 30, 2019, 05:43 PM
Lover of scale R/C
Thread OP
Thanks guys
Just an update. Still no test flight as the weather has been appalling here in the UK.
I'll update immediately after I do get a chance.

Yes I think it'll be very fast, and an accompanying hot landing speed will definitely happen.
I have a spot here with 1' long grass, ideal
Feb 01, 2019, 04:45 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Feb 15, 2019, 11:19 AM
Lover of scale R/C
Thread OP
Well I might need a small cat launcher too.
OK just got back. 2 problems. Dead calm and the 3 blade prop oversize and waaayyy too much torque.
It went away flying magnificent torque rolls into the soft earth. Tried another launch with 60% power. It was level for about 2 seconds. Increased power and torque rolled again.
So, my plan is to put a smaller 4 blade on but with 2 blades cut off. Around 3/4 the diameter of this prop.
If there's enough go then it shouldn't suffer the huge effects of torque reaction. If I can get it flying on the wing, hopefully it'll be ok, and will only test in future into a breeze.
Nothing worth doing is ever simple! Sadly on the 3rd arrival it broke an outboard wing panel. Easy fix though.

I will be back!!
Feb 15, 2019, 06:52 PM
Hi Matt.

Interesting problem. I'm thinking that you may need ailerons to counter the torque or at least full flying tailerons.
Feb 16, 2019, 08:13 AM
Not a pusher person, but I have heard that they can require a significant thrust angle to offset the torque effect. Obviously not a direct solution, but from what I understand it keeps the tail in place, which lessens the tendency to roll by reducing the coupling effect.

Quick Reply