Oct 21, 2019, 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlattyFlier
Iíve found even the MA electric props suck compared to APC
Iím using an APC. Like was said, noiser but less flex and more thrust because of that.
Ha! I like it noisy!

thanks for all the input, guys!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 21, 2019, 08:30 AM
Regarding the high alpha/harrier comments. It may sound strange, but drop flaps a notch. if you are comfortable setting up a mix, just mix an unused aux channel to flaps so when switched on you get a small amount of flap, like 10~15 degrees. This will raise the angle of attack on the center of the wing, pushing it through stall sooner than the tips, so you get some stabilizing effect. It's like adding a touch of washout in the tips. It's not a huge effect but it can help if you're having trouble flying in high alpha . Assuming you have the cg far enough back, you may just be using too much elevator. it's a problem I almost always have until I learn the feel of where the elevator should be on a particular plane. If you actually have to hold full elevator , you're probably noseheavy in the first place, which dramatically hurts high alpha stability. always makes me mad when Ali or Dave fly a plane the first time, they get the right elevator deflection for harriers figured out in less than 10 seconds. Takes me a few flights, assuming I ever get it right
Latest blog entry: blog
Oct 21, 2019, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecheek1
It's not the plane as it harriers as good as my other 3d planes.
Your probably right. Taking that stabilization rx out of mine probably killed its ability to find a stable AOA and airspeed in a harrier. Or I have no idea what Iím doing, thatís certainly a possibility.
Playing in the creek with my yak551 (3 min 35 sec)
Oct 21, 2019, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWRIGHT
Regarding the high alpha/harrier comments. It may sound strange, but drop flaps a notch. if you are comfortable setting up a mix, just mix an unused aux channel to flaps so when switched on you get a small amount of flap, like 10~15 degrees. This will raise the angle of attack on the center of the wing, pushing it through stall sooner than the tips, so you get some stabilizing effect. It's like adding a touch of washout in the tips. It's not a huge effect but it can help if you're having trouble flying in high alpha . Assuming you have the cg far enough back, you may just be using too much elevator. it's a problem I almost always have until I learn the feel of where the elevator should be on a particular plane. If you actually have to hold full elevator , you're probably noseheavy in the first place, which dramatically hurts high alpha stability. always makes me mad when Ali or Dave fly a plane the first time, they get the right elevator deflection for harriers figured out in less than 10 seconds. Takes me a few flights, assuming I ever get it right
I agree. I think Iím nose heavy but I canít move the battery any farther back. It does feel better with a notch of flaps. Iím usually pretty quick to pickup on where a normal 3D plane like to lock into its harrier. This one I just canít find that spot where it feels locked in. Iím always fighting elevator vs throttle when upright.
Oct 21, 2019, 11:26 AM
You can move the battery pretty far back so that only a little is showing in the compartment, and only room to have one strap holding it, or if you're not comfortable doing that, there is a slot in the bottom of the fuse near the tail to allow you to insert some weight if you want.

The pocket for extra weight is mentioned at the top of page 11 in the manual
Latest blog entry: blog
Oct 21, 2019, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlattyFlier
Your probably right. Taking that stabilization rx out of mine probably killed its ability to find a stable AOA and airspeed in a harrier. Or I have no idea what Iím doing, thatís certainly a possibility. https://youtu.be/9isbjJhnpYw
LOL That poooor plane was abused Watched the 2 T X vids. Plane flown hi and hard. There was no low and slow. Not criticizing as my flying is mostly low and slow because i fly in small backyard surrounded by trees .Mostly hovering and harrier so i have lots of practice the last couple of years. No vid of T X but a vid of the QQ Extra flying like i fly the X...
QQ EXTRA 300 Low an Slow (3 min 10 sec)
Oct 21, 2019, 11:56 AM
Yeah man. No low and slow for me. Bores me to tears but I sure did love flying in my backyard
19/64 Glitter Jr (5 min 19 sec)

EE60 Backyard Challenge (7 min 32 sec)

https://youtu.be/afoXPdEb4b4
Oct 21, 2019, 12:17 PM
LOL It seems U can do everything but Harrier
Oct 21, 2019, 02:42 PM
Flying Low
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecheek1
LOL It seems U can do everything but Harrier
I promise you he can harrier. Seen it happen under some interesting conditions but what happens at NASH stays at NASH.
Oct 21, 2019, 03:04 PM
Iíll take your word for it because I tend not to remember such conditions.
Oct 21, 2019, 03:54 PM

Control Rods

Hello. I just picked up a X and after assembly and binding I went to mechanically trim the surfaces. One wing I had plenty play as the control rods were threaded about halfway on the rod end. On the other wing they were threaded all the way to the end so I cannot provide any inward adjustment. It is this for both the ailerons and flap on the left wing. The surfaces are close to flush but I was really perplexed by the difference, and the plane came straight from Horizon this way.

Anyone notice this on their plane?
Oct 21, 2019, 04:20 PM
Keep Flying Model Aeroplanes
No.
Oct 21, 2019, 08:06 PM
I am not a robot
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebcdic
Hello. I just picked up a X and after assembly and binding I went to mechanically trim the surfaces. One wing I had plenty play as the control rods were threaded about halfway on the rod end. On the other wing they were threaded all the way to the end so I cannot provide any inward adjustment. It is this for both the ailerons and flap on the left wing. The surfaces are close to flush but I was really perplexed by the difference, and the plane came straight from Horizon this way.

Nope not on mine. I would like to see what the trim looks like when you bind it. If it's way off, I would be inclined to ask HH to do and exchange. Sounds like maybe there is a goof in the control rods or someone at the factory is not very experienced. But they should not be that different from one side to the other.
Oct 22, 2019, 09:02 AM
Come on Spring
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebcdic

I didn't have the difference in control rod lengths but there was a fair amount of play in all of the wing control surfaces. A little medium CA to secure all of the control horn mounts and now there is no play at all. Made a noticeable difference in how consistent the trim was when flying the airplane.
Oct 22, 2019, 09:29 AM
Acft Attn Deficit Disorder
There should be two long rods and two shorter rods. Long rods for the ailerons, and short rods for the flaps. If you have them divvied up properly, should have no problem adjusting lengths to get it sorted. Factory may have put the wrong rods in the wrong place. It happens...
Latest blog entry: From the CC Paint Shop

Quick Reply