Sep 17, 2019, 11:16 AM
I finally got an X

Setting it up per instructions with my DX8 on 3.01

I have two problems.

1) My right flap is much faster than the ailerons and other flap (full span ailerons)
2) my left flap isn’t working when the flap switch is flipped

What am I doing wrong?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2019, 11:30 AM
Ok I fixed my speed issue

I now just need to know how to get my left flap working as a flap.
Sep 17, 2019, 03:02 PM
I got the above figured out.

One new question is how can I get more elevator throw? Changing the end points doesn’t make the surface move more. What’s up with that? And yes I have it maxed out mechanically but I still run out of elevator in a normal approach to land with full flap.
Sep 17, 2019, 03:20 PM
I am not a robot
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlattyFlier
I got the above figured out.

One new question is how can I get more elevator throw? Changing the end points doesn’t make the surface move more. What’s up with that? And yes I have it maxed out mechanically but I still run out of elevator in a normal approach to land with full flap.
Longer servo arm will get you more throw. But you'd either have to make one or find a suitable arm somewhere. Does it bounce and tip over on it's nose?

Oh I take it you have both servo travel and dual rate set to max. 150 in travel and 125 in dual rate?
Sep 17, 2019, 03:48 PM
My dx8 goes upto 150% but it doesn’t add any throw. It doesn’t move the surface past 80%. I’m guessing that’s because of the as3x? I have safe disabled via the binding instructions
Sep 17, 2019, 03:59 PM
I am not a robot
Try moving you battery back further. As explained to me by Gary Wright, doing so will make the elevator more effective. You may have to retrim for level flight. Should help some. Do you have the steel joiner in place. If not install that and see if it helps.
Sep 17, 2019, 04:21 PM
It’s not a cg issue. I’m trying to figure out why the rx doesn’t let the service move past 100% end point.
Sep 17, 2019, 06:32 PM
What size is the stock prop and what’s a good replacement?
Sep 17, 2019, 06:41 PM
I am not a robot
It's in the manual. As well as listed in the parts tab online. Several companies make good replacement props of the correct size.
Sep 17, 2019, 07:29 PM
Rust: The poor man's Loctite.
Quote:
What size is the stock prop and what’s a good replacement?
Stock prop is on their website under parts and accessories. https://www.horizonhobby.com/timber-...select-efl3850
Sep 20, 2019, 08:10 AM
I see that. I was asking for a recommendation over the stock prop whitch they’ve admittedly made a compromise with so it can fly on 3 or 4s
I’ll be flying mine on 4s only so can someone recommend a good 4s prop? 12/6 maybe?
Sep 20, 2019, 08:41 AM
I am not a robot
12X6 not recommended by the guys who designed it. But you could always try one and report your results. Use of a watt tester would be a good idea.
Sep 20, 2019, 08:47 AM
Stock prop is better set up for 4s flying than for flying on 3s....I guess you did not read in the manual about what prop to use to get better flight if using 3s. Stock is best for 4s.
Sep 20, 2019, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourist_603
For no particular reason, I put the Turbo Timber wing on my Timber X. I noticed that the aileron was reversed, and switched this in the transmitter (DX-9). I then noticed that the SAFE system worked to roll AWAY from horizontal, increasing the bank angle when it should have been doing the opposite.

So, a word of warning to those who may try this. The wings are physically interchangeable, but not electronically interchangeable. Why HH should wish to do things this way is a mystery to me. I have not tried my original Timber wing on the Timber X.

Bottom line, if you are switching wings among the Timbers, be careful and check all surfaces for proper direction of movement both with stick input and without stick input while rotating the aircraft in SAFE mode.
Got an email answer from HH on this. They say the TT wing is a fit for the TX. But I suspect you need to load the TT SRM into the AR636A to get all surfaces to work properly. Very easy fix.

I replied with detailed questions about Rx and Tx setups and SRMs. Will post the HH answers as soon as they arrive. Would be ideal if a single SRM would work for both wing configs with possibly only different Tx model setups.
Sep 20, 2019, 10:56 AM
If it Works, You Better Fix It
Quote:
I see that. I was asking for a recommendation over the stock prop whitch they’ve admittedly made a compromise with so it can fly on 3 or 4s
I’ll be flying mine on 4s only so can someone recommend a good 4s prop? 12/6 maybe?
This has been covered in great detail by Gary at HH that the stock prop is the only recommended prop for 4S. They even custom wound a motor just for the TimX when they couldn't achieve exactly what was needed. This wind motor went into the production TiM's. Anything else will reduce performance or overheat the motor / ESC. And aparantly overheat fast according to Gary. They pushed this one to the max during many hours of testing to ensure the best performance and reliability. Many options were tested.

The manual will tell you what prop to use with 3S Just in case you want to try it.

Bill S.

Quick Reply