Sep 17, 2019, 12:49 PM
Will these have fire suppression?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2019, 02:52 PM
Kip

help on finding USB linker?

Just ordered a Neuron 60A for my F5J. Not much of a computer guy, but sounds like a real nice ESC to go with my Horus X10S OpenTX setup. So I'll have to dig in.

Is the "Racerstar...." link (see attached picture) my best bet? Seems like far away- middle of Oct delivery. Any advice much appreciated.....

Thanks, Kip.......
Last edited by kipduff; Sep 17, 2019 at 02:57 PM. Reason: double posted picture
Sep 17, 2019, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipduff
Just ordered a Neuron 60A for my F5J. Not much of a computer guy, but sounds like a real nice ESC to go with my Horus X10S OpenTX setup. So I'll have to dig in.

Is the "Racerstar...." link (see attached picture) my best bet? Seems like far away- middle of Oct delivery. Any advice much appreciated.....

Thanks, Kip.......
I believe it has to support BLHeli_32 and the picture you shared shows BLHeli S. Probably won't work for Neuron ESCs.
This one is claimed to work and you can get it from Amazon.
DYS Mini USB Linker V2
Sep 17, 2019, 03:16 PM
Kip
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcelectron
I believe it has to support BLHeli_32 and the picture you shared shows BLHeli S. Probably won't work for Neuron ESCs.
This one is claimed to work and you can get it from Amazon.
DYS Mini USB Linker V2
OK found that. Is that what you use?

I'm gonna wait a few to see if there's more feedback before I order.

Thanks!!!
Sep 17, 2019, 03:24 PM
Scott Page may have just picked one up and programmed his new Neuron with it. Hopefully he'll chime in. I have one on order and can't comment on its functionality yet. One of the questions asked on Amazon was what software it takes and the answer was BLHeli_32, so it should work.
Sep 17, 2019, 05:29 PM
Rick
It definitely matters which linker you use, they do not all work. Here is a link to one I can vouch for. You need the V2 with the white label, the earlier orange label version does not work. Shop around, prices vary.

https://express.google.com/u/0/produ...oaAhdqEALw_wcB
Sep 17, 2019, 09:25 PM
Kip
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22
It definitely matters which linker you use, they do not all work. Here is a link to one I can vouch for. You need the V2 with the white label, the earlier orange label version does not work. Shop around, prices vary.

https://express.google.com/u/0/produ...oaAhdqEALw_wcB
Just ordered it- thanks so much guys......
Sep 18, 2019, 12:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcelectron
Scott Page may have just picked one up and programmed his new Neuron with it. Hopefully he'll chime in. I have one on order and can't comment on its functionality yet. One of the questions asked on Amazon was what software it takes and the answer was BLHeli_32, so it should work.
Yes - Amazon DYS USB Linker V2 did the trick. NOTE -- it must be the V2

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

NOTE: Be sure you disconnect/remove the positive wire on the connection from the USB Linker to the USB.

EDIT: O well -- already ordered -- and apparently cheaper (but with prime I have no shipping).
Sep 18, 2019, 10:05 AM
Kip
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page
Yes - Amazon DYS USB Linker V2 did the trick. NOTE -- it must be the V2

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

NOTE: Be sure you disconnect/remove the positive wire on the connection from the USB Linker to the USB.

EDIT: O well -- already ordered -- and apparently cheaper (but with prime I have no shipping).
Thanks for response, Scott.

Yes- I also bought thru Amazon- my Neuron is arriving today and I wanted quick.

On a related subject: the Neuron manual is not %100 clear to me at this point. I wanna be sure I have this right so I don't fry somethng:

*programming Neuron is done thru the PWM, upper, 3-pin port of the Neuron using a PC and a BLHeli compatable USB linker. Necessary to remove the middle, hot, red wire so no conflict of 5V power circuits.

*Telemetry is thru lower, 2-pin Smart Port port of the Neuron. The Neuron will have to be the last device in the Smart Port daisey chain because it only has one Smart Port connecting point.
Sep 18, 2019, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Thanks for response, Scott.

Yes- I also bought thru Amazon- my Neuron is arriving today and I wanted quick.

On a related subject: the Neuron manual is not %100 clear to me at this point. I wanna be sure I have this right so I don't fry somethng:

*programming Neuron is done thru the PWM, upper, 3-pin port of the Neuron using a PC and a BLHeli compatable USB linker. Necessary to remove the middle, hot, red wire so no conflict of 5V power circuits.

*Telemetry is thru lower, 2-pin Smart Port port of the Neuron. The Neuron will have to be the last device in the Smart Port daisey chain because it only has one Smart Port connecting point.
1. Yes, the programming is through the PWM - or upper port. Center wire (positive must be removed). Sam H has a link to a google drive folder with the correct programs in this post. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=376 I wasted a bunch of time getting mine to connect to the BLHeli app that is through Chrome. As I understand it -- the chrome based app will only work with BLHeli and BLHeli_S. You need BLHeli32 and their all different. (just about as confusing as the difference between FrSky and FlySky).

2. You ONLY need the signal wire from the lower port. Note that in the Neuron that I received (a week or so ago) there are 3 posts - despite what the instructions showed. You COULD damage the ESC if you leave the positive and you could damage the ESC if you leave the negative wires. I removed both positive and negative so it's a single wire like the Castle Creations telemetry ESC's and it works perfectly.
Sep 18, 2019, 05:53 PM
Kip
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page
1. Yes, the programming is through the PWM - or upper port. Center wire (positive must be removed). Sam H has a link to a google drive folder with the correct programs in this post. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=376 I wasted a bunch of time getting mine to connect to the BLHeli app that is through Chrome. As I understand it -- the chrome based app will only work with BLHeli and BLHeli_S. You need BLHeli32 and their all different. (just about as confusing as the difference between FrSky and FlySky).

2. You ONLY need the signal wire from the lower port. Note that in the Neuron that I received (a week or so ago) there are 3 posts - despite what the instructions showed. You COULD damage the ESC if you leave the positive and you could damage the ESC if you leave the negative wires. I removed both positive and negative so it's a single wire like the Castle Creations telemetry ESC's and it works perfectly.
This is all very helpful. Although I've only just started crossing the bridge of finding and installing the correct BLHeli program, my initial observations as I followed various instructions and links was just what you discovered. A lot of locations where I had various options with no clear path. Took me a while just to figure out whether it was a PC only program. Looks like there's a Mac OSX Beta application on the site you mentioned. I'm a Mac guy, but occasionally I need a PC (flight sims and stuff like BLHeli). I bought a nice 2012 Lenovo compact tower PC with Windows 10 on Craigslist for $150, so I can go PC or Mac, if the Mac Beta app works OK. I'm starting the process of getting a BLHeli program running on either my Mac or PC today or tomorrow. May need some more tips. I think you saved me a HUGE amount of wasted time with your info. If YOU had trouble geting it going, I'd really have been in deep sh__.

Aloft and other FrSky vendors need to be more proactive on this stuff- have direct links and info on their sites- maybe stock the linker. The FrSky manual for Neuron leaves you hanging.
Last edited by kipduff; Sep 18, 2019 at 09:05 PM.
Sep 18, 2019, 09:48 PM
Kip

Mac OSX app version installed

Thru somewhat crooked path, I was able to install and open the Mac version of BLHeliSuite32x application. Found at

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...0FYd3aMBrNzCig

which also has downloads of versions for other operating systems. Thanks, Scott.

My linker is arriving tomorrow- we'll see.
Sep 18, 2019, 10:02 PM
Rick
Quote:
...Aloft and other FrSky vendors need to be more proactive on this stuff- have direct links and info on their sites- maybe stock the linker. The FrSky manual for Neuron leaves you hanging.
I suggested that months ago. Seems like an opportunity as well as a customer satisfaction issue to offer for sale the appropriate linker when customers buy a Neuron.
Sep 19, 2019, 08:21 AM
Kip

a bit more work than I realized

Attached is a screenshot of main window of BLHeli_32 v 0.9.0.9 running on my Mac, Mojave OS. Not connected to Neuron because linker not here yet.

So:
*looks like I have to learn and install LUA scripts to set BEC valtage? At this point I'm not seeing a way to input that- will the option pop up when I link to the Neuron?
*Seeing no way to set Low Voltage Cutoff. Use LUA also?

I am looking farward to having the integration of an all FrSky flight system with the great additional telemetry. But the Castle ESC programming interface was really nice. I've been impatient, but I see now that I will have to slowly read thru all the pages in this thread.
Last edited by kipduff; Sep 19, 2019 at 08:31 AM.
Sep 19, 2019, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Attached is a screenshot of main window of BLHeli_32 v 0.9.0.9 running on my Mac, Mojave OS. Not connected to Neuron because linker not here yet.

So:
*looks like I have to learn and install LUA scripts to set BEC valtage? At this point I'm not seeing a way to input that- will the option pop up when I link to the Neuron?
*Seeing no way to set Low Voltage Cutoff. Use LUA also?

I am looking farward to having the integration of an all FrSky flight system with the great additional telemetry. But the Castle ESC programming interface was really nice. I've been impatient, but I see now that I will have to slowly read thru all the pages in this thread.
Rest easy it's not all that difficult. First -- the menu of options in BLHeli changes after the connection with the USB is complete and READ SETUP is executed. See attached. Note the occurrence of non dampened mode -- which was my issue when looking @ it without connecting. You also see current protection and low voltage protection.

Then -- the LUA for setting the SBEC is already written and just a simple program or app to run. You need the new SDcard contents for 2.2.4 -- I went ahead and updated my Transmmitter to 2.2.4 while I was @ it.
Last edited by scott page; Sep 19, 2019 at 08:27 PM.

Quick Reply