Sep 16, 2019, 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page
I'm using BLHeliSuite32 version 32.7.0.0 I don't see anything having to do with Dampened or non-dampened. Can you provide further light and knowledge.

Signed
Anxious learner.
I wonder if thereís a newer version of BLHeli_32.
Have you watched Bardwells video yet?
BLHeli32 100% Explained - Part 12 - Brake On Stop, Damped Light Off, And Others (8 min 36 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Sep 16, 2019, 01:01 AM
His video uses an older/different version of BLHeli_32 - 32.6.0.7.
Sep 16, 2019, 01:20 AM
The Bardwell link I posted was only part 12. If you go back to part one it covers installing the BLHeli software and where to download it from. Also, some of the parameter selections didn’t show up until after connecting to the ESCs.
Sep 16, 2019, 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcelectron
Also, some of the parameter selections didnít show up until after connecting to the ESCs.
And therein probably what I need to do ... again. (just to be sure). Thanks for video link.
Heck as long as I'm going to connect to computer again I guess I should program in some custom startup music. Perhaps Darth Vaders march.
Sep 16, 2019, 09:47 AM
in awe of glide...
Anyone know why all three ESC's (40, 60 and 80) are the same weight and size??

I'd prob just get the 80A.
Sep 16, 2019, 10:11 AM
Given the small difference in price between the different models, it hardly makes any sense to buy anything but the 80. Now, with the new S models, there is a considerable difference in size between models so in the future, I will buy the size I need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkerik
Anyone know why all three ESC's (40, 60 and 80) are the same weight and size??

I'd prob just get the 80A.
Sep 16, 2019, 10:21 AM
I haven’t seen anything yet stating the S models will maintain the same features- such as telemetry. Without telemetry, would there be any reason to stick with FrSky ESCs? Hopefully they will still have the same features!
Sep 16, 2019, 10:34 AM
I agree, telemetry is key.
Sep 16, 2019, 01:15 PM
Quote:
I guess I need to input the number of poles into the ESCR parameter in telemetry to get the correct RPM. By default it was 1.

I see in post #256 AndreaHuang shows how to count poles by counting the magnets and using 1/2 of the total magnets.

I can't see the magnets -- but I can see the stators. If there are 12 stators would I be safe to assume there are 14 magnets - hence 7 poles? I'm really completely ignorant of brushless motor anatomy - but assumed there are always/generally two more magnets than stators. Correct - or not? TIA
See post #443 for magnet counting. It's harder than it sounds, as there are minor and major "cogs" on the motors I tried this on. On some of my smaller motors there is almost an imperceptible difference in these cogs. You would only count the major cogs to get the correct number of magnets. I know this because I can actually see the number of magnets in some of my motors that I tried this method on.

I have one motor that has 9 stators and 12 magnets. So I'm not sure what the physics require when designing a motor. Most of my brushless motors large and small have 12 stators and 14 magnets. So, 7 would be a good number to start with and then use a tach to verify its set correctly. I'll bring my tach out if you don't have one.
Last edited by rcelectron; Sep 16, 2019 at 02:23 PM.
Sep 16, 2019, 02:20 PM
Rick
As far as magnet counting, it may not be necessary at all. You can use a tach to read the RPM directly from the prop and then set the pole count to whatever value gives the closest reading.

In FrOS currently this is the only way to calibrate the RPM anyway, there is no calibration option in the telemetry menu. Does OTX have an option for calibrating the telemetry parameters for the Neuron?
Sep 16, 2019, 03:45 PM
Rick
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcelectron
I havenít seen anything yet stating the S models will maintain the same features- such as telemetry. Without telemetry, would there be any reason to stick with FrSky ESCs? Hopefully they will still have the same features!
If they don't do telemetry there wouldn't be much use for the included s-port.

The spec sheet doesn't mention BEC current. The existing models have a fairly generous 7A rating.
Sep 16, 2019, 11:31 PM

S Series ESCs

Although I haven't flown my Neuron80 ESC yet -- it was not all that difficult to set up -- Thanks to the fantastic information in this thread. However it will be impossible to change the ESC BLHeli32 parameters @ the field since it doesn't use Stick Programming -- even for rudimentary features such as brake, or direction reversal. ACK!

I hope FrSky is following this thread and notices that at least one person thinks they should include some stick programming capabilities. I understand that with as many parameters as BLHeli32 have it might be difficult to have ALL of the BLHeli32 featurs available for stick programming. HOWEVER - there are some basic parameters that really SHOULD (in my opinion) be available to change without using a computer with interface.

Sep 17, 2019, 03:09 AM
Quote:
I hope FrSky is following this thread and notices that at least one person thinks they should include some stick programming capabilities. I understand that with as many parameters as BLHeli32 have it might be difficult to have ALL of the BLHeli32 featurs available for stick programming. HOWEVER - there are some basic parameters that really SHOULD (in my opinion) be available to change without using a computer with interface.

Following this thread from begining, absolutly noob in programing.

Sticks programming should be a must...

Anyway, still thinking why not using LUA for that programing thing...

Too much computing power needed on ESC?
Sep 17, 2019, 05:32 AM
No Hangar Queens!
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22
If they don't do telemetry there wouldn't be much use for the included s-port.

The spec sheet doesn't mention BEC current. The existing models have a fairly generous 7A rating.
Another IG posts says that the telemetry is still there along with the 5A BEC, 5-8.4V that is adjustable. Pretty clear it’s the same just in a smaller footprint. Although you lose 2A on the BEC, it is ample current for the intended applications.
Sep 17, 2019, 12:47 PM
Basically they will have all the bells and whistles, but better packaging with the new ones. Less weight and space for the smaller amp loads. All good.

Quick Reply