Aug 10, 2019, 09:16 PM
Well of course it does. Of course we would want telemetry , but what does any of this have to do with ESC braking? All of the telemetry is functioning perfect. Never had an issue with telemetry. Brake is not active at low throttle, which unless I'm mistaking, doesn't have anything to do with updating receiver software, or binding with telemetry enabled.
Last edited by seng30904; Aug 10, 2019 at 09:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 11, 2019, 08:47 AM
No Hangar Queens!
Quote:
Originally Posted by seng30904
Well of course it does. Of course we would want telemetry , but what does any of this have to do with ESC braking? All of the telemetry is functioning perfect. Never had an issue with telemetry. Brake is not active at low throttle, which unless I'm mistaking, doesn't have anything to do with updating receiver software, or binding with telemetry enabled.
This isn't really that hard. You need to use the "brake on stop" setting. 100% is all the brake when your throttle stick is at the lowest point. I've been able to use 20% successfully to help slow down an airplane in a down line. Still not working? Have you done a throttle calibration? All of this can be learned from the MANUAL that is INCLUDED in the BLHeli_32 software. Open the software and at the top click BLHeli_32 Info... direct access to the manual.
Aug 14, 2019, 06:44 PM
Rick
Here is a Neuron installation that might be a bit different from most. This is a re-build of a wrecked foamie seaplane. The original was designed with the idea that the ESC would be in a sealed compartment for water protection but with a heatsink exposed for cooling. On the original (shown first) the esc heatsink was removed and replaced with a computer component heatsink with many fins exposed to the air and sealed to the foam around the base. There was no telemetry on this but it was in use for years without any esc burnout so it seemed effective.

On the rebuild the esc was replaced with the Neuron as shown. Since there was no practical way to replace the Neuron heatsink with the computer heatsink It's hoped that simply exposing the built-in heatsink to the air will provide adaquate cooling but that if a problem does occur the telemetry will provide warning. The plane was flown for several flights but only on one day so far. I'd like to report that the cooling worked perfectly but unfortunately I just don't know. It turns out that there is no telemetry logging for the Neuron data in FrOS so there is no record of in-flight temp or other values. What is known is that the one time temp was observed during flight it was 40 something C, and the alert set for 60C was never triggered, so I'm tentatively assuming the cooling works fine this way. Should I learn otherwise I'll let you know.
Aug 22, 2019, 11:34 AM
ErskyTx Developer
I have full logging working in erskyTx, so have logged the temperature from a number of flights. My neuron is inside the fuselage, supposedly with cooling air from vents in the nose. However, I don't think much air was getting to it as the last flight a few days ago showed the temperature starting at 40, and peaking at 85! It did, however, perform without any problem.
Being concerned at this high temperature, I added a small air scoop to the side of the fuselage to bring more air over the neuron. The result was very surprising as the temperature now stays around 30 for the whole flight, just rising a bit after landing when the 'plane stopped moving. I flew 4 flights in total with this air scoop added with a similar temperature on all of them.

My log files start automatically after two seconds of more than 20% throttle and stop when I engage the throttle safety switch.

Mike
Aug 22, 2019, 05:57 PM
Rick
I had a similar experience a few years ago with a Polaris. Like the Drongo shown a couple of posts back, I wanted the ESC in a sealed compartment to protect it from water. Concerned about the temp, I put in a TM1100 telemetry unit (this was back when I was using Spektrum). It showed the temp climbed quickly and I had to keep flights limited to about 2 min. On the advice of people familiar with the Polaris, I installed a couple of "spoon scoops" to let air in over the esc and out the rear. As you found, the benefit was dramatic. The only time temp became an issue after that was taxiing. During taxi the airspeed is too low for the scoops to be effective and temp climbs surprisingly quickly so its a good idea to expedite. This is likely a bigger issue on a seaplane where it may be necessary to taxi some distance in adverse conditions.

The downside on the seaplane of course is that the scoops do expose it to water. The experts said that a scoop on top would not intake spray in normal operation and they are right but in one "lawn dart" landing water hit the scoop with the result shown in the pic. The esc had water protection and was still functioning perfectly when the pic was taken but it's better to keep it dry in the first place rather than rely on water proofing.
Aug 23, 2019, 07:42 AM
CorrosionX is your friend for anything that runs on the water...works great for FPV gear on my ICON.
Aug 23, 2019, 02:00 PM
Rick
Quote:
Originally Posted by formontoya
CorrosionX is your friend for anything that runs on the water...works great for FPV gear on my ICON.
I've been using this stuff for about 25 years now. May be the same thing for all I know.
Aug 23, 2019, 03:39 PM
25 years...mine is probably just a copy of yours...
Sep 08, 2019, 02:43 PM
I'm editing and rewriting this post:

Just finished reading this thread. I hastily purchased a Neuron80 for a HobbyKing Flycat - thinking that this would be a great solution for telemetry. I did not realize at the time I would also need to learn to use BLHeli configuration, or that this might be a complete waste of money. Really concerned after reading the thread....

What I have gathered from this thread is: (what am I missing or wrong about).
1. Update transmitter to OpenTX 2.2.4 INCLUDING the microSD contents (especially lua)
2. Remove the Positive and Negative wires from the Sbus Smart Port connection between Rx and ESC.
3. Remove positive pin in the BLHeli programming link and power ESC with flight battery when programming.
4. A separate USB interface for programming BLHeli is needed as the ESC programming is done via a chrome BLHeli extension You need to use BLHeliSuite32 -- this is not the same as BLHeliSuite or BLHeliSuite_S. The chrome extension does not seem to work).
5. Assure polarity of all connections before making connection.
6. Use relative heavy male/male servo connector for throttle channel as it has to handle current load for all servos.
7. If using S6R or S8R the Rx firmware must be updated to most current before LUA will work to set SBEC voltage.
8. ESC comes configured with brake active (strange choice!).
9. In BLHeli software you need to press a button to read the current settings - they are not automatically read when connection the ESC.
10. Stand alone BEC or battery is not a good idea with Neuron -- but if you must then be sure the PWM connection between Rx and ESC has center lead cut.

Please check that I have a complete list of caveats.
Last edited by scott page; Sep 18, 2019 at 01:07 AM.
Sep 08, 2019, 05:47 PM
32.4316 N, 80.6698 W
That's about what I went thru. No instructions provided with the early ones I bought to indicate how to prevent smoke. I don't mind software updates for new hardware but the lack of accurate instructions is not easily forgiven. Thank goodness for this site for how to make it work. Not very elegant of FrSky.

Now we have to find our own battery to use the new X9D, that's crazy. I love much of the stuff FrSky gives us and have for several years, but IMO it's getting silly. For the first time I am seriously considering a Jeti system (I know I am not alone). I hope this trend ends soon.
Last edited by mark426; Sep 08, 2019 at 06:11 PM.
Sep 08, 2019, 07:38 PM
Well Scott, I believe that you for the most part got it figured out. Jeti systems are nice, as I have one myself, although lately, I have been using the FrSky stuff more and more. I hope that you have a great paying job, or you own only a few models because retrofitting these types of telemetry ESC's with comparable Jeti Mezons are going to expensive. The Mezon lite 90 esc is just shy of $300, each! In fact, you can purchase 5 or 6 of these Neurons for about the price of a comparable Mezon. Note, your Jeti system will most likely require software updates as well.
Sep 09, 2019, 02:10 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Someone lent me a Jeti system (top of the line, ds24) because I needed to test something using the servo telemetry the DITEX servos provide along with telemetry from a jet engine and they're the only ones supporting that at this point.
Owner who supplied the lot including the servos passed me a CentralBox and the receivers that went with it. The updates were reasonably easy though not really more than what I'm used to from my FrSky gear, but then I spent half a day not getting my servo telemetry to work. After lots of searching, turns out that the CentralBox isn't compatible with servo telemetry (found the info on forums, not Jeti documentation). Had to go back to the owner and grab one of the few receivers that do it, luckily he had one. Interestingly it's a small and light receiver - while those DITEX servos are precisely the beefy powerful monsters that you'd want to run through a power distribution box... Jeti apparently had one in development that supports servo telemetry (afain found on forums) but it was not out yet so it didn't help me much.
Updated that, but then the setup menu for the receiver was not working. Bunch of searching, not much in terms of results. Found out by myself by looking at the radio SD card contents and figured out that another file that was in the receiver firmware update zip needed to be copied to a folder in the radio, that's the "program" the radio uses to know how to talk to that particular receiver FW version. No documentation or instructions. Got that working.
Turbine telemetry wasn't too bad as it's pretty well documented by the turbine manufacturer, but still needed to figure out that there are 2 different ways to obtain data (basic telemetry and lua) and not mix them up. Depending on your turbine version you may or may not require an external telemetry adapter - mine didn't.

Took me a good day of work over several days to get the proper gear to get the whole thing running as intended, and probably would have been longer if I didn't know how these things tend to work nor had the ability to figure out things on my own.

Once it was working I reverse engineered the servo telemetry protocol and made my own interface to feed it to the smart port of a FrSky RX so I could give the stuff back to its owner.Interestingly enough that took me less time than getting the original stuff working...

TL;DR once you get into the "advanced" stuff beyond basic RC control even if you pay 5 times the price it's not necessarily a lot better in terms of documentation and support.

The DS24 is a very beautiful piece of kit though (apart from the LCD being pretty terrible when you're used to the one on the Horus radios).

Oh and also - the DITEX servos are highly configurable which is great, so there is a PC program to configure them... but which for absolutely no good reason you have to register with your name, address, phone, email... and you're supposed to get an activation code by email. But that sometimes doesn't work, and a search points out it's pretty common and you have to email support with your PC's "unique code" so someone will send the activation code. So if you were planning to set stuff up on a weekend and activation doesn't work, you're SOL. Got it working on my desktop PC as normal, but when you have to work on a setup at the bench the laptop would be a tad more convenient.
That drove me particularly mad.
Last edited by Kilrah; Sep 09, 2019 at 02:48 AM.
Sep 09, 2019, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark426
Th
Now we have to find our own battery to use the new X9D, that's crazy.
I have used a lipo battery that i used on a JR 9303. It is 3S lipo 2650mah but i used a 2S balancer plugand leave the last wire of the original 3S wiresconnected to the old plug. I have more weight but it is working good so far. Also before doing this i put all the 3 cells to storage status and after i used the internal charger circuit of the new X9D+ 2019 to charge it.

I have also a 3s 9.9V life that i can use but i have a doubt since in 2S configuration the V is quite low.
Sep 09, 2019, 05:55 PM
Rick
Scott

You don't necessarily need to jump right in to BLHeli and the complication that entails. The defaults are useful for most sport models as-is. The BEC voltage can be adjusted with a Lua if necessary. I agree that the brake being on by default is an odd choice but it shouldn't be a deal breaker in most situations. Just try to avoid rapid throttle cuts, especially from full. If it happens occasionally that shouldn't kill the Neuron.

As a product the Neuron isn't entirely "baked" yet, especially for use with FrOS, but it is still useful and will probably get better.
Sep 10, 2019, 12:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22
Scott

You don't necessarily need to jump right in to BLHeli and the complication that entails. The defaults are useful for most sport models as-is. The BEC voltage can be adjusted with a Lua if necessary. I agree that the brake being on by default is an odd choice but it shouldn't be a deal breaker in most situations. Just try to avoid rapid throttle cuts, especially from full. If it happens occasionally that shouldn't kill the Neuron.

As a product the Neuron isn't entirely "baked" yet, especially for use with FrOS, but it is still useful and will probably get better.
Good to know - Thanks. That's encouraging. I've used Emax BLHeli ESCs -- but they have throttle stick programming. In addition to being somewhat dismayed that FrSky choose to make Brake on the default I'm also somewhat surprised that they did not employ the time honored throttle stick and beep method of programming. I've got a flying buddy that is way into quads (who doesn't) so I ask him if he'd have my back in case I stumble. I'm very curious about the Neuron which is probably why I was so quick to go that way after smoking the stock ESC in the EDF FlyCat that I'm anxious to fly. Should have programmer and ESC in tomorrow's mail.

Quick Reply