Jul 22, 2019, 02:54 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by seng30904
Do not use "dampened light" for you fixed wing, as it is usually a quad copter function.
Yes, which means you need "nondamped" ON, for some reason they went with reversed logic.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 22, 2019, 03:54 AM
.....and that's why I crashed
doesn't damped light = active frewheeling, which is a good thing for fixed wings as it increases efficiency and reduces heat build up at intermediate throttle settings. I use it always for FPV planes, but do turn it off for 3D planes because it feels a little weird for hovering etc.
Jul 22, 2019, 05:09 AM
Happy FPV flyer
It recovers the energy from slowing down the prop. Makes sense on a quad where the prop is constantly making huge RPM variations and they need to happen as fast as possible, but completely useless on a plane.
Jul 22, 2019, 06:41 AM
hmmm, not sure I'd describe active freewheeling as 'completely useless' on a plane, DEO (driving efficiency optimisation) which is the hobbywing implementation of freewheeling on their fixed wing only ESCs is extremely useful. The implementation is a little more aggressive on multirotor ESCs, but the benefits are still there.....
Jul 22, 2019, 08:56 AM
I agree with Kil, which isn’t necessarily saying I think I’m right, however, I can’t see any benefit of employing active braking on a fixed wing, especially on an endurance Type of craft where there is ( for the most part) a stable, non-changing rpm. If there were any benefit, in terms of increasing flight times, I think it would be very small, and possibly not even measurable. But, if you feel it helps, by all means use it
Last edited by seng30904; Jul 22, 2019 at 09:12 AM.
Jul 22, 2019, 10:36 AM
Happy FPV flyer
It might have an advantage for 3D acro in terms of response time, but that's about it.
As far as getting back some energy from a flying airplane, the efficiency of driving the prop from the plane's airspeed is terribly bad so you're way better off keeping that energy to glide than trying to convert it back to electricity.
Jul 22, 2019, 10:46 AM
All Fixed

The out of the box Neuron required a read and write cycle from BLHeli32
no variables changed.

Re connected and the sensors were discovered

So this one just needed a boot up the USB to kick it into life.

Cheers
Charlie
Jul 22, 2019, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah
Yes, which means you need "nondamped" ON, for some reason they went with reversed logic.
Thanks Georgeg and Kilrah for your help.

It appears that in BLhelli if you want to disable the stock factory brake setting (Brake ON Stop) which is set to OFF as default you also need to reset the "Non Damped Mode" and set it to ON.

Once you have set the "Non Damped Mode" to ON, the motor will now freewheel down to a stop onec the throttle stick is moved down to the off position instead of stopping dead which appears to be the stock setting.

Thanks once again for all your help guys, just need the wind to drop now in the UK and its maden flight time of my Skywing Lazer 260 which the Neuron is fitted to.
Jul 22, 2019, 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah
It might have an advantage for 3D acro in terms of response time, but that's about it.
As far as getting back some energy from a flying airplane, the efficiency of driving the prop from the plane's airspeed is terribly bad so you're way better off keeping that energy to glide than trying to convert it back to electricity.
Naa, as I said, I prefer it off for 3D but on for everything else. Also a free spinning prop has more drag than braked prop even if it isn't a folding prop. It isn't really about energy recovery either. I thought I'd just point out that it isn't a completely useless feature and that maybe people should make an informed decision in regards to their specific application before making the choice.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2&postcount=22
Jul 23, 2019, 06:46 AM
No Hangar Queens!
Recently picked up one of the 80A versions at an event and I cannot seem to use the LUA script to change the SBEC voltage. I get an error when I try to run the script on my Horus X10S. I'm using the one on the FrSky website. I found another on github and there are a few differences in the lines of code but I'm not familiar enough with it to know what's what. Are there any tutorials on how to use the script?
Jul 23, 2019, 08:17 AM
It's a Boolean thing.
Go back and start reading at post #340 in this thread. I think the answer to your problem is there.
Jul 23, 2019, 09:04 AM
No Hangar Queens!
THANK YOU! I love the resources of RCG but sometimes finding the material you need can be a cumbersome affair.
Jul 25, 2019, 06:43 PM
Question for the experts. I'm 97% sure this should work, but would like to run it buy the collective first.

I am planning on using the Neuron together with a secondary battery circuit, where the Neuron will be the backup RX power. As we have seen that the Neuron has a tendency to let the magic smoke out if voltage is feed back into the PWM wire, I'm planning on using a schottky diode (12SQ045) which has a max 0.5V dropout at 12A) on the VCC line of the Neuron. If I set this Neuron to provide about 6.0v, the RX would get about 5.6-5.5volt if feed by the ESC.

The secondary 2S LiFe pack will likely be feed directly to the RX, or via this electronic switch circuit. Not sure if I would need the Schottky diode on that side as well, but it would be preferred as far as I understand. With a schottky on the LiFe side, the RX would get about 6.1 - 6.0v, so it should work as the primary source, while the ESC will be the secondary. Alternatively, I could up the voltage output on the Neuron to 7.0v for it to provide about 6.6-6.5v to the RX and act as primary, letting the LiFe pack act as secondary.

Anyone see any issues with this setup?

- Thomas
Jul 25, 2019, 07:49 PM
It's a Boolean thing.
If you can get the BEC output through the diode just right, maybe you could use it to provide main power to the model and also keep the LiFe pack fully charged so that it'll always be ready to supply power if and when the BEC fails. In that case you wouldn't need a diode in series with the battery pack. You could use voltage telemetry to sound an alarm if the BEC fails.
Jul 25, 2019, 08:06 PM
Maiden flight using another of my 80 amp Neurons today. Max amps was about 70'ish, until I burned the motor up. At that exact point, amps shot up to about 140, I have another motor on hand, and it will be flying again tomorrow. No damage to the Neuron as far as I can tell.
One thing that really concerns me is the esc temp. If you view the attached log file, you can see that after plugging in the flight battery, the ESC temps slowly rise from ambient temp, and peaks about at about 132F. This all happen when the model is just sitting on the tailgate of my truck. Immediately after the model takes to the air, ESC temps then drop to about 90F. If you watch the video, the last minute or so shows the model at wide open throttle, and the ESC temps increase only a couple of degrees. After the motor burns up, and the model lands, the esc temps again creep up again to the same 130ish F. Why is the ESC showing the highest temps while just sitting on the ground, without the motor running? Is this normal? I realize that air is cooling the esc as the model is flying, but should the ESC see such high temps sitting on the ground, and not running the motor?

Multiplex FunRacer reaches 140 mph sustained on 6s (11 min 51 sec)

Quick Reply