Jul 13, 2019, 10:27 AM
Save the ALES.
Quote:
Originally Posted by locoworks
is the perceived wisdom to just connect what would be the signal wire between the 2 pin smartport connection on the ESC and the 3 pin smartport connection on the receiver ? I assume the ground just goes back by a common connection through ground wire into the throttle channel on the receiver?
I can't speak for the "perceived wisdom" but that's how I see it, and it's what I stated back in my post #217. If a positive connection shouldn't be made through the smart port then it follows that a negative connection shouldn't either.

Since the positive and negative connections providing power to the rest of your model are made through the PWM throttle channel, that one extra wire is the only connection needed between the Neuron's telemetry sensors and the receiver's smart port, and it is a signal wire, although it carries a different kind of signal that travels in the opposite direction of what you would normally call a signal wire.
Last edited by Miami Mike; Jul 13, 2019 at 10:39 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 13, 2019, 10:43 AM
thanks very much, time to give it a go once I've found a double ended lead that isn't made with 30 gauge wire ( the ones that come with smart port sensors ) I have some really short ones for connecting flight controllers to receivers using PWM but I don't fancy making a frankenlead of extensions.
Jul 13, 2019, 01:50 PM
even better, i found a longer one and it reaches. updated horus to opentx 2.2.4, discovered new sensors and hey ho, lots of new numbers, even RPM. but i'm not convinced the RPM is accurate. the model is the hobbyking vampire and the specs list a 3000kv motor, it runs 4s so lets optimistically say 17 volts, i should be looking at ( if it can reach max revs static ) 51k revs, the telemetry is giving me 106k revs. is there somewhere to calibrate this and if so where and how?

edit; i didn't have the battery fully charged, it was in storage and the voltage was getting dragged down at full stick so i'd be surprised if i actually 14.5 volts.
Last edited by locoworks; Jul 13, 2019 at 01:56 PM.
Jul 13, 2019, 01:57 PM
The RPM that is shown is eRPM. The ESC can not determine how many poles your motor has so it shows the number of times it has done a full cycle of 3 fases.

In the telemetry menu page you can edit the sensor value. Here you can add number of blades as a devider. Set it to the number of poles.
Jul 13, 2019, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonnie78
The RPM that is shown is eRPM. The ESC can not determine how many poles your motor has so it shows the number of times it has done a full cycle of 3 fases.

In the telemetry menu page you can edit the sensor value. Here you can add number of blades as a devider. Set it to the number of poles.
Actually, set pole count to exactly 1/2 of total number of poles. ie, if you have a 14 pole motor, set it at 7. eRPM accuracy is about perfect when compared with my electronic tach
Jul 13, 2019, 02:51 PM
ErskyTx Developer
Use HALF the number of poles. I have a 14-pole motor and my "Number of Blades" is set to 7.

Mike
Jul 13, 2019, 03:09 PM
thanks folks, I will give it a go, how do I find out how many poles the motor has? I guess I'm going to be looking for the durafly vampire thread.......

edit; found the thread and asked the question.
Last edited by locoworks; Jul 13, 2019 at 03:15 PM.
Jul 13, 2019, 04:41 PM
ErskyTx Developer
If you rotate the motor by hand, you often find it "cogs", that is it moves in steps rather than rotating freely. Each step is a "pole". Just rotate the motor exactly one turn and count the steps.

Mike
Jul 14, 2019, 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Blandford
If you rotate the motor by hand, you often find it "cogs", that is it moves in steps rather than rotating freely. Each step is a "pole". Just rotate the motor exactly one turn and count the steps.

Mike
great idea, thanks again.
Jul 15, 2019, 09:42 PM
Rick
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22
Thanks Sam.

Fingers crossed; I ordered this: https://www.rotorquest.com/categorie...html?limit=100

It now says they are out of stock, perhaps I got the last one. They confirmed my order and took my money, but so did Banggood and they reneged later. (Banggood did issue a refund but they were vague on why so I didn't know which order item, if any, was missing until the package showed up.) Hope it works. Hope it shows up.
Well the linker arrived today and I am very happy to confirm that it works. After setting the interface to USB and selecting the port where the bridge shows up, it was able to connect and communicate with the Neuron.
Jul 16, 2019, 03:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22
Well the linker arrived today and I am very happy to confirm that it works. After setting the interface to USB and selecting the port where the bridge shows up, it was able to connect and communicate with the Neuron.

I couldn't get my linker to work, the one Kilrah linked to earlier did work though.
Jul 16, 2019, 02:35 PM
Rick
Quote:
Originally Posted by locoworks
I couldn't get my linker to work, the one Kilrah linked to earlier did work though.
The one I have looks like the pic below. It is marked V2. Apparently there is a V1 with an orange label I think that is reported to not work with the Neuron.

It didn't work automatically when plugged in. Here are the steps:
  • Run BLHeli_32 so the window is open.
  • Connect a battery to the Neuron and connect the Neuron PWM port to the linker using a wire with the center +5 conductor removed.
  • Plug in the linker.
  • At the top of the BLHeli window, click on "Select BLHeli_32 interface" and select the one that says "USB/COM".
  • At the bottom left of the window click on "Port" and look for one that says "USB to UART bridge". On mine that shows on COM 5.
  • Click on "Connect".
  • Click on "Read Setup".
  • Should be ready to use at this point.
  • It seems to remember the interface settings so next time you can go straight to connect.
Jul 16, 2019, 03:32 PM
that's the one I have choochoo22 and I couldn't get it to work, It could of course be operator error on my part, but I had no problems getting the one Kilrah linked to to work perfectly.
Jul 17, 2019, 02:34 PM
Rick
Since you already have one that is working you may not care very much but of curiosity, have you tried the sequence above?
Jul 17, 2019, 04:19 PM
I will give it a try tomorrow choochoo and report back, what operating system is your pc running?

Quick Reply