Jul 12, 2019, 02:20 PM
Rick
Andrea, I'm having a hard time relating your post to the failures that we have been discussing. Which mis-connection do you think would cause the 7A Neuron BEC to burn out while causing no damage at all to the attached receiver, the yellow one, the green one, or both?

For the yellow position those connections would be:

Neuron---RX
open-------gnd
gnd--------+5 in
+5 out-----signal out

For the green position:

Neuron-----RX
+5 out------gnd
signal in----+5 in
open--------signal out

Also, in the two cases that Seng posted the connection to the linker had the center wire removed so either the yellow or green mis-connections would have only a single wire connecting to the Neuron and no current path on the PWM port at all. This can't possibly cause damage.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 12, 2019, 02:27 PM
What he said.

I’m REconsidering shipping mine to China as invited. It will be accompanied with a jar of petroleum jelly to aid in dielectric testing.
Jul 12, 2019, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_Cole
You have to do that with the Lua script.. The default is 5 volts

BC
thanks Barry, I've never used lua scripts, another dark art no doubt......... is this ESC and lua stuff compatible with open tx 2.2.2
Jul 12, 2019, 02:30 PM
No doubt: bubble, bubble, toil and trouble....
Jul 12, 2019, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by locoworks
thanks Barry, I've never used lua scripts, another dark art no doubt......... is this ESC and lua stuff compatible with open tx 2.2.2
To use the lua script to change BEC voltage you need to have OpenTx 2.2.4

With 2.2.2 you will not have becV and becA sensors available but 0x50

In the SD card folder for 2.2.4 the Frsky tools are inclused in the Script folder
Jul 12, 2019, 02:46 PM
It's a Boolean thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by choochoo22
Andrea, I'm having a hard time relating your post to the failures that we have been discussing. Which mis-connection do you think would cause the 7A Neuron BEC to burn out while causing no damage at all to the attached receiver, the yellow one, the green one, or both?
The configuration outlined in yellow could cause a short circuit if
  1. the plug was offset as illustrated by the yellow outline, and
  2. it was also upside-down, and
  3. a plug was connected correctly to the smart port, whether the center pin was clipped or not.
This would cause a direct short circuit of the BEC positive output to GND. If the center smart port pin was present then that would only add a second parallel short circuit path.

And of course a similar error could be made when connecting the smart port plug.

But don't worry because FrSky assures up that (1) there is no manufacturing error, and (2) the error will be rectified in future production.
Last edited by Miami Mike; Jul 12, 2019 at 03:07 PM.
Jul 12, 2019, 02:56 PM
So, all of this would be avoided by a pwm line with a permanent connection to the esc per the apparent industry standard?
Jul 12, 2019, 03:02 PM
It's a Boolean thing.
Yes, that and one single wire on a separate plug to carry the smart port signal from the ESC to the receiver. That was something I suggested back in May in my post #218. It's the way Castle Creations handles the separate, multi-purpose input on their ESCs.

Jul 12, 2019, 03:03 PM
I’m adding a second jar to my return....

But, why am I surprised as I bought v 1 of the Horus 10s.
Jul 12, 2019, 04:05 PM
thanks Tonnie.
Jul 12, 2019, 04:10 PM
Rick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Mike
The configuration outlined in yellow could cause a short circuit if...
Good point mike. I had failed to consider the possibility of another connection through the s-port. Actually, the green position would create a direct path from +5 to the rx gnd and back to the Neuron gnd through the s-port ground. One might expect this to cause rx damage but possibly the rx gnd bus is robust enough to survive 7A+, but probably not the gnd trace to the s-port in my RX6R which was undamaged.

In any case I've adopted the personal practice of using only the signal line on the s-port as it seems no good can come from other connections.
Jul 12, 2019, 04:17 PM
Do you use an external bec to do this?
Jul 12, 2019, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeg
How I interpret the illustration is that it is possible to plug in with the connector shifted one pin in either direction rather than having all three pins in their respective sockets. Of course, I could be wrong. Either way, the red wire, if there is one, would go somewhere it shouldn't, hence the instruction to remove the red wire.
I think that if Frsky incorporated some type of housing around both pwn and s- port pin that would prevent you from inadvertently plugging in the connector in a shifted left or right manor, there may be less failures. The pwm and S-port pins are pretty obscured, and I too have plugged in my connectors in a “shifted” position. I am just really anal about really looking at those connections before applying power. Seem as if it would be easy for Frsky to incorporate some type of housing (similar to most receivers) to prevent to possibility of a shifted connection. With that said, I do really like these Neurons, as they really do offer a lot of bang for the buck, especially when I was spending $300 for a Mezon with similar features. The Neuron’s (imho) could use a little tweaking to make it more foolproof.
Last edited by seng30904; Jul 12, 2019 at 05:56 PM.
Jul 12, 2019, 05:35 PM
Rick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alopath
Do you use an external bec to do this?
If you mean me, no. Use the usual 3 wire PWM line but only a single signal wire on the s-port. This leaves the s-port power and ground lines open so no problems are caused through them while the usual throttle connection to the ESC powers rx and servos. Rather like Mike suggested a couple of posts ago. I have a collection of single wire jumpers with different pin ends that makes this easy but you could just pull the pwr and gnd wires out of any 3 wire jumper.
Jul 13, 2019, 08:56 AM
nearly there. is the perceived wisdom to just connect what would be the signal wire between the 2 pin smartport connection on the ESC and the 3 pin smartport connection on the receiver ? I assume the ground just goes back by a common connection through ground wire into the throttle channel on the receiver?

Quick Reply