Jan 16, 2019, 02:56 AM
FrSky-MKT
Thread OP
New Product

FrSky New Arrival - Neuron 40 / 60 / 80 ESC

The FrSky Neuron Series ESC is a professional grade control unit, integrated with built-in telemetry like high-precision current sensor, voltage sensor, motor RPM, power consumption and ESC temperature sensor. Features optional DShot signaling and an adjustable SBEC voltage, that can be changed via LUA script. The Neuron ESC is encased in a CNC aluminum protective shell which also aids in heat dissipation. As with most FrSky products, the Neuron series is completely S.Port compatible, allowing you to use our full line of S.Port Telemetry sensors.

Name: 2.jpg
Views: 47
Size: 119.7 KB
Description: Name: 4.jpg
Views: 49
Size: 125.8 KB
Description:

SPECIFICATION
● Dimension: 59*33*17mm (LWH)
● Weight: 58g
● LiPo Cells: 3~6S
● Adjustable SBEC Voltage: 5~8.4V (Voltage Step: 0.1V)
● Cont. Current: 40A/60A/80A
● Peak Current: 60A/100A/120A

FEATURES
● Smart Port enabled and telemetry data transmission supported
● Telemetry data for ESC: Voltage, Current, RPM, Power Consumption, Temperature.
● Telemetry data for SBEC: Output Voltage, Current.
● High performance 32-bit micro-processor
● High-precision current sensor ACS781KLRTR-150U-T (Resolution 125mA, Precision 2%) and ACS711KEXLT (Resolution 50mA, Precision 2%)
● Over-temperature and over-current protection
● SBEC supports [email protected]~8.4V (Adjustable through LUA or through FreeLink App with Airlink S)

Neuron 40 MORE DETAILS: https://www.frsky-rc.com/product/neuron-40/
PROMOTIONAL PRICE (TAX EXCLUDED): US$ 49.99

Neuron 60 MORE DETAILS: https://www.frsky-rc.com/product/neuron-60/
PROMOTIONAL PRICE (TAX EXCLUDED): US$ 54.99

Neuron 80 MORE DETAILS: https://www.frsky-rc.com/product/neuron-80/
PROMOTIONAL PRICE (TAX EXCLUDED): US$ 59.99

Estimated Time: February 2019
Last edited by AndreaHuang; Jan 28, 2019 at 01:56 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 16, 2019, 09:45 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
This looks like exactly what people have been asking for in a fully-integrated ESC.

The one thing I see missing is the ability to program it via LUA (beyond just setting SBEC voltage). Being able to fully program the ESC is a great feature that's currently available on Jeti & Graupner ESC's with their transmitters.

That said, if you're heading down that path, F.Port support might be an idea as well. Why have two wires where you can have one.

Also I note the manual says to not turn on the braking function. Braking is a critical feature for any ESC driving a folding prop, as well as regularly used on smaller belly-landing aircraft to avoid prop damage.
Last edited by mawz; Jan 16, 2019 at 09:51 AM.
Jan 16, 2019, 04:34 PM
As far as using the braking function, I think sumthin got lost in translation
I suspect that warning is not to enable the brake in applications where you're slamming the throttle open and closed frequently. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't apply to a folder on a sailplane.

I have a project that needs a new 40A ESC for the spring. I'll be keeping an eye on these when they are available through the NA FrSky dealers.
Pete
Jan 16, 2019, 07:00 PM
https://hmvc.eu/
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaHuang

FEATURES
● Smart Port enabled and telemetry data transmission supported
● Telemetry data for ESC: Voltage, Current, RPM, Power Consumption, Temperature.
● Telemetry data for SBEC: Output Voltage, Current.
● High performance 32-bit micro-processor
● High-precision current sensor ACS781KLRTR-150U-T (Resolution 125mA, Precision 2%) and ACS711KEXLT (Resolution 50mA, Precision 2%)
Yay..... 10-bit current measurement using hall sensors instead of that being done by BLheli and also Current going to the receiver from the BEC.
You will not hear me anymore about their current ESC. It's now in a funjet. I just don't take the current readings serious.
I think this one will be much better.
Jan 16, 2019, 08:22 PM
Flying in OZ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpete2
As far as using the braking function, I think sumthin got lost in translation
I suspect that warning is not to enable the brake in applications where you're slamming the throttle open and closed frequently. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't apply to a folder on a sailplane.
F5J and ALES stop the motor once per flight, can't see that as an issue.

All my aircraft that land on wheels, I've set the motor to idle just like real aircraft, I have found that if the prop is not free wheeling (enough power not to create drag) landings are smoother. Idle is a mix on a switch.
Jan 16, 2019, 08:25 PM
FrSky-MKT
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
This looks like exactly what people have been asking for in a fully-integrated ESC.

The one thing I see missing is the ability to program it via LUA (beyond just setting SBEC voltage). Being able to fully program the ESC is a great feature that's currently available on Jeti & Graupner ESC's with their transmitters.

That said, if you're heading down that path, F.Port support might be an idea as well. Why have two wires where you can have one.

Also I note the manual says to not turn on the braking function. Braking is a critical feature for any ESC driving a folding prop, as well as regularly used on smaller belly-landing aircraft to avoid prop damage.
Hello Maws,

The continuous and frequent throttle stick movements (switch between the maximum and minimum values ) under the braking function activated in a very short time (like in 1 minute) would damage the products, it not means you can't turn on this function. This is just a notice to protect the products from the potential damage.
Jan 17, 2019, 03:20 AM
Hello Andrea,

please add the maximum rpm (2-pole motors) in the specs.
It's an important value for users which are using high speed / multi pole brushless motors.
So they could see if the esc would fit for their application.

Thanks
Udo
Jan 17, 2019, 03:34 AM
FrSky-MKT
Thread OP
Hello everyone,

This short video will tell you where to read the continuous current of BEC and guide you to change the BEC voltage output with 2 ways, one with LUA script, another with AirLink S through FreeLink App. Please check the enclosed connection diagram and you can easily have the function work. ; )

Current Precision
Name: Current Precision.jpg
Views: 104
Size: 232.4 KB
Description:

Connection Diagram (Part 1 LUA Script)
Name: Connection Diagram (Part 1 LUA Script).jpg
Views: 105
Size: 2.47 MB
Description:

Connection diagram (Part 2 AirLink S)
Name: Connection diagram (Part 2 AirLink S).jpg
Views: 94
Size: 2.72 MB
Description:

How to change the voltage output of BEC for Neuron ESC (1 min 41 sec)
Jan 17, 2019, 04:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaHuang
Hello everyone,

This short video will tell you where to read the continuous current of BEC and guide you to change the BEC voltage output with 2 ways, one with LUA script, another with AirLink S through FreeLink App. Please check the enclosed connection diagram and you can easily have the function work. ; )
That LUA-script could also give the value of RxBt
In many applications that's the one that is connected to the BEC.

It does need to find out in which telemetry slot it is, but after all it's a programming language....
Jan 17, 2019, 09:50 PM
FrSky-MKT
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by strgaltdel
Hello Andrea,

please add the maximum rpm (2-pole motors) in the specs.
It's an important value for users which are using high speed / multi pole brushless motors.
So they could see if the esc would fit for their application.

Thanks
Udo
Hi Udo,

Please check the RPM information, and thanks for your suggestion, we will update the manual as well.
Jan 19, 2019, 04:38 AM
Hi Andrea,

Thanks a lot for the info.
I guess for those of us who intend to use the ESC in planes it would be also interesting to know the erpm value for controlling the device via usual PWM / Servo Output Signals.

Best regards
Udo
Jan 20, 2019, 05:36 AM

The new ESC and the FROS

Dear all,

have some one a information if with the Horus X10 / X12 the ESC via FROS can controll ?

Kind regards
Willi
Jan 22, 2019, 10:26 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruchpilot-64
Dear all,

have some one a information if with the Horus X10 / X12 the ESC via FROS can controll ?

Kind regards
Willi
Based on the spec sheet the only programming from the transmitter is setting the SBEC output voltage, everything else requires the BLHeli USB programmer.

I would expect the LUA for SBEC voltage will be published for FrOS and OpenTX.
Jan 23, 2019, 10:29 PM
Are these available for purchase now?
Jan 24, 2019, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seng30904
Are these available for purchase now?
No, but HorusRC has them in their "coming soon" section, which often means you can get them next month.
I have the, now obsolete, FrESC32_80A which is however a lot cheaper with its $ 45,-
The Neuron is $ 60,-

Quick Reply