May 21, 2019, 07:28 PM
I'd rather be flying.....
Thread OP
Thank you both Rabid and Colonel....

And yes, HE is always underwhelmed... Unless it is time for HIS canned food, and later, HIS Night Cap of Catnip.....

All wishes/hopes of flying around here are out the window - 25 -40 mph winds and downpour rains happening now.... And for the most of the week. Rain for the weekend

Thanks,

jeff
Last edited by JeffMac; May 21, 2019 at 07:29 PM. Reason: sp
to remove ads between posts
May 27, 2019, 05:31 PM
Thread OP
All -

Tbolt progress : The controls are getting hooked up to the surfaces...... Still need to hinge the rudder.....

Ran a power test ( no wattmeter) and a 12-6 GWS Slow flyer prop seems to give good thrust that should fly the bird. This prop is well under the specified size of the gear drive. A Balsa ( spruce, hardwood ? ) prop may come later, who knows.

High winds here discourage me from finishing up quickly - although last evening the wind calmed and a wonderful flight of the Korda World Record Holder was able to occur....

The Tbolt will be finished tonight, then flight attempts await.

More later,

jeff
Last edited by JeffMac; May 27, 2019 at 05:33 PM. Reason: sp
May 28, 2019, 10:10 PM
Thread OP
All -

The Jimmy Allen Thunderbolt 200% is now ready to test fly...... The weather forecasts for this week are not favorable for flying, but who knows.... a lull could happen and I will hope to be ready....

More later,

jeff
May 29, 2019, 12:07 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Good luck Jeff, hope she goes well.
May 29, 2019, 06:56 PM
Thread OP
Thanks George......

All -

The weather broke slightly choppy but calm enough between storms after work to get a

maiden flight in on the Thunderbolt 200%.

It flew right out of my hand requiring no trim changes. However, only about ten foot altitude

was reached due to lack of thrust. The 12-6 prop is not enough pitch to provide quite enough airspeed.

So another day a 12-7 or 12-8 will be attached and another test flight to see what those results will be.

For now though, the Tbolt has flown and sure was a pleasure to handle in the air.

A typical video will be made when some altitude can be had during the next flight, hopefully

Thanks George for the CAP 2019 which got this stalled project off the ground.

I will be making plan scans soon and posting.

More later,

jeff
Last edited by JeffMac; May 29, 2019 at 06:59 PM. Reason: addtl
May 29, 2019, 10:06 PM
Great job Jeff! We'll done!
May 30, 2019, 05:29 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
Nice!
May 30, 2019, 08:14 PM
Thread OP

Tbolt completed - two short flight vids added

Thanks Al and Scottie.....

All -

Tonight after work a lull again in the nasty weather brought calm, partly cloudy flying conditions. I was able to find an old GWS Direct drive type 12-8 orange prop. The increase in pitch was enough to at least fly the model up into bouncy thermal territory..... It is still slightly under propped but got about a 15 + minute pleasant flight. Two short vids were taken using my cell phone.

The 200% Thunderbolt has excellent flying charactoristics- it is a fun flyer !

More later, but will consider this CAP 2019 model completed.

Jimmy Allen Thunderbolt 200% (0 min 27 sec)

Jimmy Allen Thunderbolt 200% 48" electric RC (0 min 30 sec)

Thanks,

jeff
May 31, 2019, 04:15 AM
Nice to see the pretty Thunderbolt take to the air Jeff, it looks well behaved, congrats.
May 31, 2019, 05:38 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Looks great Jeff, a really smooth flyer. I'll post it as "finished and flown" - great to see the CAP build off doing what it is meant to do - giving that extra push to get projects finished.
May 31, 2019, 05:41 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
Love the way she looks in the air.
May 31, 2019, 08:13 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the kind words Tony, George and Scottie..... The Tbolt is just a d##n good flier

Thanks George for the CAP venue....

Best regards,

jeff
May 31, 2019, 09:46 PM
Culper Junior
Jeff,
Nice to see a scale speed on a good looking model.
Congrats!
Jim
May 31, 2019, 09:48 PM
Nice little plane, the colour scheme suits it, and it flies ssooo nicely!
Jun 02, 2019, 12:03 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Jim - yes, it sure is slow and scale like. And fun

Thanks Martin, yes, the simple color scheme for simple me does look really nice in the air. I can't fault the flying qualities

Best regards,

jeff

Quick Reply