Mar 12, 2019, 04:56 PM
Looks good Jeff. Nice work!
to remove ads between posts
Mar 12, 2019, 05:13 PM
robinson727

T-Bolt

Following along with great interest.. Superior has prop blanks and next time you might consider the ASX "Brick" with on board ESC. It has SAS (stability augmentation system) that works great and isn't "intrusive" and the linear servo's and RX.are bullet proof. The BL -180 brushless motor that is normally used with this system (eFlite GeeBee, Pitts, ect) can be geared and the whole works will fly on 2S 200mah and less. I'm probably going to do a Jimmie Allen enlargement like you have or a Jabberwock (fav.) and while the carbon prop worked great on the scaled up Boston canard, "Valient" a slow turning carved wood prop is a must !! pics: All 3 models used the brick and it's very lightweight and works great..

Sorry for your loss,
Al and the Greyhounds
Mar 12, 2019, 07:20 PM
I'd rather be flying.....
Thread OP
Hi Al - - thanks for the condolences and the Tbolt compliments.....

I like your extension shaft set up , and eliminating that gear drive would be a plus....

I have an original Jabberwock plan and need to build that one up someday.....

Thanks again,

jeff
Last edited by JeffMac; Mar 12, 2019 at 07:20 PM. Reason: sp
Mar 13, 2019, 07:31 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the kind words, Bob....
Mar 17, 2019, 02:46 PM
Thread OP
All -

Tbolt progress has been creeping forward..... Installing pushrods, fitting the nose block to the motor and misc covering has been quietly occuring.....

Good news - weighing all the components : fuselage with all electronics/rods; tail assembly 3/4 covered ; landing gear ; flight battery ; covered wing - came out to 11.1 ounces ( 314.685 grams)..... I'm very pleased....... Adding a wing mount and a few rubber bands + fuselage covering will not add much more .....

More later,

jeff
Mar 17, 2019, 05:11 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Should have excellent performance at that weight Jeff.
Mar 18, 2019, 09:55 PM
Thread OP
Yes, George..... Weight goal is being modified to a much lower all up weight ....... 13 ounces or less i think is realistic.....

Tbolt progress -

All the electronics are now installed in the fuselage, including the motor assembly. The fuse bottom and rudder are now covered in litespan red. The Gloss Mod Podge sure works well, I'm very content with the technique.... The covering will continue as the week unfolds....

Then , a wing mount must be fabricated. The basic design on the plan will be used except mounting rails will be added for the wing, and a couple cross braces for mount stability will be added.

The Tbolt will be tested and flown first with a plastic slow flyer prop until i get motivated to carve a balsa prop...... outdoors.....

More later,

jeff
Last edited by JeffMac; Mar 18, 2019 at 10:01 PM. Reason: addtl
Mar 19, 2019, 09:15 PM
Thread OP

Tbolt covering moving along

All -

The Tbolt covering is moving along.... It is amazing how a surplus of covering becomes a scarcity..... The fuse is red, the opposite side needs covered yet..... The wing mount has yet to be figured out and built up....

More later,

jeff
Mar 20, 2019, 06:00 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
Looking good!
Mar 20, 2019, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidrue1
Looking good!
Yes, very nice indeed.
Mar 20, 2019, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffMac
All -

The Tbolt covering is moving along.... It is amazing how a surplus of covering becomes a scarcity..... The fuse is red, the opposite side needs covered yet..... The wing mount has yet to be figured out and built up....

More later,

jeff
One day I hope to learn to cover like this...
Mar 21, 2019, 08:00 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Quote:
Originally Posted by k k iyer
One day I hope to learn to cover like this...
You and me both - I always start by thinking it's going to go perfectly, but............
Mar 21, 2019, 10:50 PM
Thread OP

Tbolt progress

All -

Guys, thanks for the support and encouragement... and undeserved compliments. My photography skills are quite poor which greatly enhances the appearance of my covering efforts. But i am VERY HAPPY with the results so far - the fuselage is completed .... Next, attach the stab and fin. Then, the dreaded wing mount..... Of course, i have not thought much of balance so am hoping for some good luck there.

Anyone using litespan, if you have not tried the Mod Podge process, try it. It made covering a pleasure compared to prior models..... And, it's a really cheap method. Wish everything on this model cost as little as that.....

More later, thanks again,

jeff
Mar 22, 2019, 03:41 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Looks great Jeff, love the colour contrast.
Mar 22, 2019, 06:05 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
Nice,ought to be one fine floater when it's done.

Quick Reply