Jan 15, 2019, 11:50 PM
I'd rather be flying.....
Thread OP
Build Log

CAP 2019 Jimmy Allen Thunderbolt 200% electric rc -Two better vids

All -

The Korda World Record Holder is now complete sans a flight, so time to move ahead with a long stagnant project :

The Country Club Aero Supply Jimmy Allen Thunderbolt 200% RC electric....

The Story -

In 2005 S.A.M. USA had an electric unlimited rubber event on the books..... A Speed 300 or 400 and a pre 1943 rubber model was the

requirement. The event was dropped from the books , and I have not been able to get to SAM contests, so the project halted and has been stored for

several years....

The details -

A copy made from an original CC Aero Supply plan was enlarged 200 %, with all the inaccuracies. ..... Reed was used for much of the stab outlines and fin outlines. The wing tips are reed as well. One has cracked and needs replaced.... Bamboo is used as the cockpit outline..... I had planned to use litespan, I had better hurry and get coverlite (?) before it is all sold out.... If litespan or equal is not available, I'm not sure which covering to use,,,,, Instead of a 400 brushed motor, I will do some actual work and research modern gear drives. My intention is to obtain another 12mm inrunner that can be used with a lightweight geardrive. i may attempt to use a carved balsa prop at least 12 to 16 inch size range. Overall, this build will be a very light ( < 20 ounce hopefully ) park flier with a little thermal fun on calm days....

Thanks , George, for the venue and motivation !

More soon,

Jeff
Last edited by JeffMac; Jun 02, 2019 at 12:01 PM. Reason: add plan pics/chg title
to remove ads between posts
Jan 16, 2019, 02:51 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Another nice project Jeff and well worth completing,
Jan 16, 2019, 02:53 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
This is exactly the sort of project that the CAP build offs were designed for!!! Watching....
Jan 16, 2019, 10:21 AM
Thread OP
Thanks George and Colonel B -

For now it will be cerebral - researching a power system using the 12mm inrunner.....

I have been seeing this plane ghosting by like a dream since 2006..... time to make it a reality

More later,

jeff
Jan 17, 2019, 11:40 AM
Thread OP
All -

I have been searching for a ( legal ) plan to post, can't seem to find one. So, I will locate my copy made from an original Country Club aero Supply Thunderbolt plan , scan it, and post it here and in the pre-1960 plan thread. It will be a couple weeks.

Best regards,

jeff
Jan 18, 2019, 10:10 AM
Thread OP
Some slight progress-

Gussets , many, many gussets are being added while thinking about a 12mm power system....

model cement chipping off the fingertips this morning.....

more later,

jeff
Jan 18, 2019, 10:25 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Mmmmmm - gussets! One of buildings little pleasures along with riblets and laminating.
Jan 18, 2019, 08:49 PM
Thread OP
Tonight - more gussets....... And George, I'm thinking riblets on this wing since it is a direct scale up, it would give some added support to the covering.... And be therapeutic on a cold snowy day....

Found a couple struts for the T-bolt, not sure if they are landing gear or cabanes .... Guess i should look into that

More later,

jeff
Last edited by JeffMac; Jan 18, 2019 at 08:50 PM. Reason: sp
Jan 20, 2019, 01:21 PM
Thread OP

Progress + plan and instruction pics posted

All -

A Cold, snowy winter Sunday brought fresh riblets to the TBolt wing.... Somehow , i managed to find my rib template marked March 2007....... that made short work of them .... the model cement is now being peeled off my fingers.... a trouble spot with the wing - the dried out cane reed on one wing tip broke several years ago..... I have wet the reed and am starting to gently hold it in the original shape, hopefully it will get there then the glue will then hold .... I will not use reed again, but it was contemporary to the Tbolt.... Bamboo is an excellent material and will be used on future ( Antique) builds....

Also, the copies of the Skelly Oil Thunderbolt plan and the building instructions were found in my " archives" - scans will be made in a week or two, but for now i managed to post a couple pics.......

More later,

jeff
Last edited by JeffMac; Jan 20, 2019 at 08:19 PM. Reason: sp
Jan 20, 2019, 04:06 PM
This is perfect for a cap build off!!! I'll be following closely, I'm planing on converting a couple of rubber powered models to light rc gear (hopefully for the SFV Build off) so this one is right up my alley!
Jan 20, 2019, 05:36 PM
Thread OP
Thanks, Martin...... Build your projects, the only be regrets will be if you don't

Best regards,

jeff
Last edited by JeffMac; Jan 20, 2019 at 05:37 PM. Reason: sp
Jan 22, 2019, 10:23 PM
Thread OP
All -

Slight progress on the Tbolt : all riblets are installed, nearly all gussets are too..... The rudder upper tip and one wing tip have reed which being brittle and dry, cracked and broke. i'm slowly soaking the reed again.... The wing tip looks salvageable without major work. The rudder tip, I'll have to replace a short section... Bamboo, heated and formed, will be used for that...

I " Found " online a Turnigy 12 * 30 mm inrunner with 4500 KV. That may do the job.... Have to find a suitable geardrive... These seem scarce these days. Sure wish i had a source of litespan. Wonder if I'm the only one wishing

More later,

jeff
Last edited by JeffMac; Jan 22, 2019 at 10:25 PM. Reason: sp
Jan 23, 2019, 07:57 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
I think broken spar built the gear drive for one of his.You may well end up building something as the prop size you want to turn may need 10 to 1 or more reduction. Come to think of it have you looked to see what GWS has?
Last edited by rabidrue1; Jan 23, 2019 at 08:01 AM. Reason: add stuff
Jan 23, 2019, 07:23 PM
Thread OP
Hi Scottie -

Yeah, i need to look closer at BS's build....... Yep, DACH used a 10.7 ? ratio for a large prop...... I have looked up GWS, unless I'm missing something ( i was ) , i did not see any 12mm gear drives.... may have to look again ( Edit - link added ) ....... I have a really nice 280 Fiego geardrive which is a really nice set up, but not for this bird.....

https://gwsus.com/english/product/powersystem/ips.htm

Hope your shoulder is doing better....

Thanks,

jeff
Last edited by JeffMac; Jan 23, 2019 at 09:00 PM. Reason: link
Jan 25, 2019, 10:00 AM
Thread OP
All -

Slight progress on the Tbolt - the wing tip riblet cement should be dry then the final shaping will occur. A piece of reed was soaked for 24 hours and is being held in a curve by tape for 24 hours. This should give some curved sections to repair the fin and wing tip. Then a final once over of the wing, then figure out my stock of litespan. wish I hade some yellow......

more later,

jeff
Last edited by JeffMac; Jan 25, 2019 at 10:00 AM. Reason: sp

Quick Reply