Mar 04, 2019, 08:01 AM
'Douglas' to his friends.
Thread OP
Cheers, Mike; we're not doing so badly here in France. After a solid week of marvelous pre-Spring weather, we're now enduring high winds and sporadic heavy rain. It'll pass, though, and I'll not need to water the garden.
Some issues with WiFi liaison to the printer yesterday, solved (with no explanation...) by installing the latest updates to the Raspberry Pi. I managed to print another rib template, for the outer wing panel, which tapers to the tip. T'will be fun working out how to clamp the rib blanks securely in such a stack, but it'll work out, as usual; it'll have to..!
I have to share my Build time with my Aeromaster on the other table, but may still get to lay down the fuselage sticks today. We'll see...
to remove ads between posts
Mar 04, 2019, 08:53 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Being totally ignorant on the subject of 3D printing, would it not be possible to have holes in the templates - or maybe drill some afterwards - to take, say, 6 BA bolts to clamp the pack of blanks together, this was the way I always did it using ply or ali templates for cutting either constant chord or tapered ribs, although these days I usually cut the ribs one at a time using a template located with a couple of pins cyanoed in place (uses less balsa!)
Mar 04, 2019, 10:11 AM
Thread OP
6BA..! He said '6BA'..!

No, but seriously... I, too, am new to this 21st-century stuff, so, yes, it's possible to 'print' holes, but I'm taking this one step at a time. This tip rib template, for instance, would have to have the guide holes line up correctly. T'will come, surely, but later. Not too much later, but later just the same. Good Idea, though.
(6BA..? Just how old is this bloke anyway..? The sad part is that I do know what 6BA is, and have used the stuff, many years ago..! )
Mar 04, 2019, 10:29 AM
6 BA was the mounting bolt of choice for 1 to 3.5 diesels, 8 BA for 0.5 and 0.8 ones. Nothing wrong with BA threads, I still have a box full of 6, 8 and 10 and use them all the time. Better than this metric nonsense. And while we are at it, there was nothing wrong with 12 pence = 1 shilling, 20 shillings = 1 pound, 240 pence = 1 pound, 21 shillings = 1 guinea. Currency decimalisation was the first step in the downward slide of Britain which has continued ever since culminating in the present shambles. And don't get me started about HS2 (White Elephant Railways), the "Northern Power House", scrapping the TSR-2 and the Nimrod AEW and....... Bah, humbug!!
Mar 04, 2019, 10:46 AM
Thread OP

(Well, not the TSR-2, that was a war 'plane, so good riddance...)

We've forgotten the groat, then..? ;-)
Mar 04, 2019, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer
6 BA was the mounting bolt of choice for 1 to 3.5 diesels, 8 BA for 0.5 and 0.8 ones. Nothing wrong with BA threads, I still have a box full of 6, 8 and 10 and use them all the time. Better than this metric nonsense.
But BA threads are metric.
Mar 04, 2019, 12:46 PM
Thread OP

Shhh..! Not so loud..! He'll hear you..! He's sleeping so soundly, too, bless him.

Mar 04, 2019, 03:17 PM
No, I'm very much awake. Notwithstanding that the BA threads were originally based on a Swiss thread and derived by starting with BA 0 as 6 mm then deriving each subsequent one as 0.9 x, they were always quoted in thousandths of an inch when I was at school (which, admittedly, was a long time ago!) and as far as I am concerned anything with "British" in front of it and measured in thous wasn't metric in the 50s, so there!
Mar 04, 2019, 03:42 PM
Thread OP
Mar 04, 2019, 05:59 PM
I think George has been having a quick look at Wiki.

Actually the Imperial system can be useful in teaching different number bases to older people. I once took 10 - 15 minutes to teach a couple of fellow students on a training course how to work with hexadecimal using ounces, pounds & modified (16 lbs per stone) stones. The course lecturer had failed during 5 training days which included at least 4 hours of hex basics, converting & calculating examples.
Mar 04, 2019, 06:55 PM
Thread OP
Actually, world-wide, we all count using different bases quite naturally, without thinking about it. How many weeks is 32 days, for instance..? Sixty is how many dozens..? It's all around us; months of the year, number of football teams to be made with however many players, converting minutes into hours and minutes, and so many more... We do it all the time.
Mar 04, 2019, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmcc
I think George has been having a quick look at Wiki.

Actually the Imperial system can be useful in teaching different number bases to older people. I once took 10 - 15 minutes to teach a couple of fellow students on a training course how to work with hexadecimal using ounces, pounds & modified (16 lbs per stone) stones. The course lecturer had failed during 5 training days which included at least 4 hours of hex basics, converting & calculating examples.
14 pounds in a stone FWIW.
I can do either as imperial system changed to decimal here in the 70s..
Mar 05, 2019, 01:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossie
I can do either as imperial system changed to decimal here in the 70s..
Actually, putting the joking aside, that is really the point - I can happily work in imperial or metric, but what makes me gnash my teeth is when I see contestants in TV quiz shows drop slack jawed when any question involving inches, feet, yards, chains, furlongs (or even miles), ounces, pounds, stones, quarters, hundredweights, tons etc comes up. Almost as annoying as the stock excuse of "It's before my time" used when failing to answer a history question - well yes, that is rather the point, it's HISTORY which, by definition, will almost ALL be before your time!
Mar 05, 2019, 01:47 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossie
Howard, I think that's why Pat used the term "modified", which I took to mean an approximation to allow hexadecimal counting.
Mind you, it could be that I just didn't understand (again...).
Mar 05, 2019, 04:49 AM
Too many stones in this conversation!
Rock

Quick Reply