Jan 15, 2019, 09:01 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

SFV 2019 - 1955 Kirby Motor Tutor, RC ...

Waiting to receive ordered prints of the plans for this; they should arrive shortly. Meanwhile, here's what the plan, and the 'plane, look like, as published in Model Aircraft, May 1955 ...

I'll be building her for electric flight, with added elevator, hopefully. I asked for the prints in three examples, two 'normal' and one mirrored horizontally. That way I can build on one whilst consulting its twin, and build the second wing on the mirrored plan. Luxury..? Absolutely..! In the meantime, I'm dressing a list of wood to prepare, converting as I go from the original Imperial measurements to metric (I'm in France, Europe...).
That's all for now; more news as and when it breaks. Enjoy the ride ...
to remove ads between posts
Jan 15, 2019, 11:53 PM
I'd rather be flying.....
Looks like a really nice project ( again ) , Douglas......

Best regards,

jeff
Last edited by JeffMac; Jan 15, 2019 at 11:53 PM. Reason: sp
Jan 16, 2019, 03:09 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Another of your epics I'll be following with interest Douglas. I presume it will be electric, but what are your thoughts on controls? If built as per E. Fearnley's original which started life as a F/F model, i.e. with the non-scale dihedral, RET or even RT would be fine, but if (as I suspect from your previous builds) you want to go more true scale - i.e. eliminate the dihedral - you will need ailerons, and in that case, given the HAR wing a healthy dose of differential will need to be programmed in.

My personal choice would be to build it as a three function model sticking close to EF's original, to produce a light and nice flying RET powered soarer, but no doubt you will have your own ideas
Jan 16, 2019, 05:12 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffMac
Looks like a really nice project ( again ) , Douglas......

Best regards,

jeff
Thanks, Jeff; let's hope I can pull it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer
Another of your epics I'll be following with interest Douglas. I presume it will be electric, but what are your thoughts on controls? If built as per E. Fearnley's original which started life as a F/F model, i.e. with the non-scale dihedral, RET or even RT would be fine, but if (as I suspect from your previous builds) you want to go more true scale - i.e. eliminate the dihedral - you will need ailerons, and in that case, given the HAR wing a healthy dose of differential will need to be programmed in.

My personal choice would be to build it as a three function model sticking close to EF's original, to produce a light and nice flying RET powered soarer, but no doubt you will have your own ideas
We're on the same wavelength, George, as I'm planning to build her for RET flight, and, of course, electric power, hoping to create more a 'powered glider' than a cabin cruiser. I'll be building as per plan, except for the mods needed for elevator and outrunner motor, and maybe upgrading the rudder, which I think I'd prefer more 'scale'-sized. The plan rudder looks to me more like a trim tab for free-flight; the 'real' rudder swings almost all of the fin surface, it seems. Early days, of course, but will have to be decided at some point.
The other point requiring imagination will be the attachment of the struts, of course, as they're rather more functional than mere decoration. That's part of the fun, though, isn't it..?
Jan 16, 2019, 05:58 AM
Watching with interest Douglas. I still have my little KK Kirby Prefect glider somewhere. I suppose the Motor Tutor was developed from this glider.
Have fun!
Jan 16, 2019, 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad3353
.............. and maybe upgrading the rudder, which I think I'd prefer more 'scale'-sized. The plan rudder looks to me more like a trim tab for free-flight; the 'real' rudder swings almost all of the fin surface, it seems.
The small rudder as shown on the drawing showing the layout of the radio gear (Page 3 of the supplementary PDF) was the size you would use for a "bang-bang" escapement radio; with the luxury of proportional radio and powerful servos you are right to plan on something bigger, although maybe not as big as on the full size, that would need pretty small travel I feel.

It is interesting that, on that same drawing, EF appears to be suggesting that an increase in fin area might be desirable, but again I wouldn't think this would be an issue with our much better controls.
Jan 16, 2019, 07:09 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickharp
Watching with interest Douglas. I still have my little KK Kirby Prefect glider somewhere. I suppose the Motor Tutor was developed from this glider.
Have fun!
Cheers, Nick. Yes, the Motor Tutor sprang from the T7 and T8 gliders; the Prefect is from the same family. There are so many variants, though, through kit builds (of the full-size 'planes...) and interchange of parts over their useful life. I won't be going for full-scale accuracy, so it's rather academic to me, but interesting just the same, Slingsby being synonymous with gliders of the period.
Jan 16, 2019, 07:12 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
The small rudder as shown on the drawing showing the layout of the radio gear (Page 3 of the supplementary PDF) was the size you would use for a "bang-bang" escapement radio; with the luxury of proportional radio and powerful servos you are right to plan on something bigger, although maybe not as big as on the full size, that would need pretty small travel I feel.

It is interesting that, on that same drawing, EF appears to be suggesting that an increase in fin area might be desirable, but again I wouldn't think this would be an issue with our much better controls.
Once again we're in agreement here; these are exactly my thoughts on the matter. The fin/rudder proportions will depend largely on how I choose to do the hinging. I'll not be looking for 'scale' so much as robust ease of construction..!
Jan 16, 2019, 06:55 PM
Can not find where the originals were posted.
Jan 16, 2019, 07:40 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchopper56
Can not find where the originals were posted.
Wow..! Clean hi-res pdf's..! Thanks for that, it'll be a help. George had scanned the pages from his copy of the magazine for me, but, well, you know, [whispers...] George is not so young any more, so these technical things, well... He tried; he did his best, bless him, and it was good of him to make the effort. It must have been awfully tiring for him...

Jan 17, 2019, 04:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad3353
Wow..! Clean hi-res pdf's..! Thanks for that, it'll be a help. George had scanned the pages from his copy of the magazine for me, but, well, you know, [whispers...] George is not so young any more, so these technical things, well... He tried; he did his best, bless him, and it was good of him to make the effort. It must have been awfully tiring for him...
Well, right, we know where we stand now Douglas. Last time I drag myself up two floors to the library in the turret and heft all those heavy filing boxes about to find some info for one of YOUR obscure projects then! You will just have to rely on your NEW friends and their fancy technology.Exit stage left in a huff
Jan 17, 2019, 05:37 AM
Sorry to drive a wedge between you two. I'm not so young either, in my 70's.
Jan 17, 2019, 05:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchopper56
Sorry to drive a wedge between you two. I'm not so young either, in my 70's.
Don't worry Gene, I know you find the English sense of humour puzzling, Douglas and I are just having fun. Of course I'll continue to try and help the miserable old sod with his outlandish projects, he needs all the help he can get!! Especially now that he has this 3D printer thing to play with.
Jan 17, 2019, 05:58 AM
Quote:
Don't worry Gene, I know you find the English sense of humour puzzling,
Now your insulting me!
Jan 17, 2019, 05:59 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
Quote:
Don't worry Gene, I know you find the English sense of humour puzzling, Douglas and I are just having fun. Of course I'll continue to try and help the miserable old sod with his outlandish projects, he needs all the help he can get!! Especially now that he has this 3D printer thing to play with.
George, Douglas doesn't realise how lucky he is that it's you and not Ken...

Quick Reply