Aug 07, 2019, 03:23 PM
DS Junkie
Waiting for some metal servo arms to keep moving on the build. I've wired up the wings using MPX connectors and went ahead and glued them to both the fuse and the wing for a full auto-connect. A bit fiddly to get proper but they are working great now, and I'm glad I spent the time.

Pretty sure I'm ditching the frames on the X10s in the wings. The servos have a big footprint and the servo openings are not particularly large. There's also a lot of carbon in that spar and around the joiner box in the flap bay, so while I might be able to get frames in the ailerons, I wouldn't be able to fit a third bearing support frame in the flaps.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 07, 2019, 04:53 PM
Remember... Fly for fun!
I chop my frames up to just utilise the external bearings. Makes installs much easier
Aug 19, 2019, 12:59 PM
DS Junkie
One, two ... skip a few ... and Sonet is ready to throw. Totally got sidetracked and took no additional build photos, but here are the high points.

AUW is 99 oz on the dot, with the CG at 97.1mm (just at the aft end of what Vaclav recommends, which is 94 to 97mm).

Wing servo install was a little fiddly. Had to half-moon the clevises on the ailerons and do quite a bit of trial and error to get enough flap throw. I ended up using 8mm servo arms on the flaps and low horns. I have pics of that, and it's attached.

It was a challenge getting enough lead in the nose to hit the CG mark, using an 18650 stick pack. But it's all in there and I might be able to get another 14-21 grams under the rx if needed.
Last edited by Screamin' Eagle; Aug 19, 2019 at 01:23 PM.
Aug 19, 2019, 04:59 PM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Looks great dude!
Aug 19, 2019, 05:15 PM
DS Junkie
Same colors as your old Twister Alex. Can't wait to wind her up. I have high hopes for this one.
Aug 19, 2019, 07:45 PM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Looking forward to the video
Sep 01, 2019, 01:24 AM
DS Junkie
Maidened the Sonet yesterday at grass mountain. Not a lot of wind. 17-28 Max gust. Sonet flew straight out on launch and climbed like it should. 15 minutes on the front, mostly dialing down elevator and adjusting aileron differential, and she went in for some DS.

The plane turns hard and extracts energy very well. Top speed of 183 on the first flight and 187 on the second. Only one other plane on the hill for comparison, which was an opus Mc3. It looked a little heavy for the conditions and managed a 162.

Other observations: the plane has a ton of rudder authority, in addition to responsiveness on the elevator. I actually had to turn down both in my dual rates, which is unusual for an F3f plane with a vtail in my experience. Roll rate is great.

The plane shows no tendency to flick with my setup, even in a tight thermal pulling a lot of elevator. Correct differential is important to dial in otherwise the plane really complains.

A tiny amount of snap flap helped it really bang the turns.

CG feels good at 97.1mm. Maybe a little tucky but I won't know for sure until it goes faster. Inverted was good at that CG.

The kst ms320s in the fuse are stellar. Extremely fast and perfect centering.

Overall the plane flew just as I'd hoped. Given the very marginal conditions I think it preformed extremely well and left nothing on the table as far as speed.

Unfortunately no video or even pictures, as we were very short staffed on the hill.
Last edited by Screamin' Eagle; Sep 01, 2019 at 01:30 AM.
Sep 01, 2019, 04:56 AM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Great to hear Dom. Looks like a winner for sure!
Sep 03, 2019, 10:30 AM
DS Junkie
Sonet had its second outing yesterday, to Grass in pretty much the same conditions. I posted a 201 and between Bruce and I, it feels like we flew it consistently for about 3-4 hours and hundreds of laps. I'm very happy with how it flies, and Bruce said he liked it quite a lot as well. He got a 193 on it.

I made some further very minor setup tweaks, including adding a tiny bit of noseweight, and at least up to 200, it feels like everything is on point. The plane slows very well to land also.

Here's Bruce flying it;

Sonet @ Grass Mtn., Labor Day 2019 (0 min 33 sec)
Last edited by Screamin' Eagle; Sep 03, 2019 at 11:04 AM.
Sep 03, 2019, 12:46 PM
Thread OP
So happy they are working out well!
Sep 06, 2019, 03:29 PM
DS Junkie
Daniel just maidened his Sonet at Vincent. He was very complimentary of the quality and the flight performance. Here's a picture of it on his lawn.
Sep 06, 2019, 04:02 PM
Thread OP
I do like those colors.
Sep 07, 2019, 01:10 AM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Great colours!
Sep 09, 2019, 11:34 AM
"PULL IT" -- S.L.

VV Models Sonet_Fastest F3F Plane in Production Today

VV Models Sonet_235 MPH!

Congratulations to Václav Vojtíšek, and Dominic Messiha! The Sonet went 235 MPH at Weldon on Saturday in 26 to 34 MPH wind speeds. Here are some of the details..

Early in the day the Sonet went 201 in 18-22 MPH. Later in the afternoon we were getting 26-34 MPH wind speeds. The highest gust of the day was a lone 38. The Sonet had many laps over 200, and quite a few laps in the mid 220's. Some memorable speeds were Dominic's 227, Bruce's 232, and of course Dominic's 235.

I believe the 235 MPH speed makes the Sonet the fastest currently available 3 meter F plane in production. I know Alex went 229 at Weldon in May with Brent's custom triple carbon Pitbull. I don't know of any currently available 3 meter F3F planes that have a higher posted speed. If anyone knows of one, please let me know. Thank you very much.
Sep 09, 2019, 02:31 PM
Remember... Fly for fun!
All in the green! Haha

Congrats Dom!and thanks Josh for brining people a fantastic model.

Yep I went 233 with the pitbull in April

Quick Reply