Feb 04, 2019, 09:07 PM
Crashing is not a crime
Anything happening with this?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 05, 2019, 08:33 AM
"PULL IT" -- S.L.

202 MPH with a B Plane!

FWIW: We just heard back from Vaclav regarding the layup of the Sonet I’ve been flying (below). Apparently I went 202 MPH with his F3B layup. I thought you guys might like to know.

The ones we’re having him produce for us on the group order will be manufactured with:
160g/m2 / herex / carbon 160g/m2 in the wings, and DC V-tails.

Best, Josh

From Vacalv
Composition of your existing model:
Wings: carbon 90g/m2 / herex / carbon 90g/m2
Wing beam - Carbon DIALEAD
Big V-tail - carbon 30g/m2 / herex / glass 17g/m2
Last edited by Any Day Flying; Feb 05, 2019 at 09:57 AM. Reason: typo
Feb 05, 2019, 09:22 AM
Crashing is not a crime
Is the fuselage beefed up too?
Feb 05, 2019, 11:48 AM

Interested in the xtail!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk
Remember the Nyx DS? This new plane shares a lot of DNA, but with a few important changes to the tail section to handle those 250 mph speeds the old Nyx posted.

We have been working on getting this new plane into production for a while, and I expect to have it for the DS Fest along with the other new ships. Should be fun!

We also have another plane in the works that has a little more heritage for DS Acro work and a cross tail. Should have a prototype of that one soon.

-Wayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX HEWSON
Now this has my interest. I'm not a v-tail fan...
Interested in the xtail like a NYX!! It would be nice to get a semi symmetrical section, flatten out the dihedral a bit, over a 100" ws, dump the polyhedral wing, floating x-tail w super strong geometry. AND like Aaron said a beefy fuselage. I agree w Alex when it comes to acro ds I'm not big a fan of Vtails.

Way back when, a few of us ordered double and triple carbon NYX's. They did a few other mods and called it the Nyx Atomic. BUT they never went to full ACRO DS optimization. It's such a fun plane to fly. The weak point being the empennage, the xtail and mostly the bell crank. I pulled mine out and beefed it all up to feel comportable up to around 200 with the triple Carbon NYX. I think it would go over 220++ but I'm not looking for "that" the first big ding. Tim Harris put the servo back under the stab and his has been over 200. I think Tebo still has an unbuilt one. I have a heavy Atomic NYX a medimum Atomic and an f3f version. Great planes.

The shockwave DS got over 300, is a Vtail and was very fun to DS with. I think I got mine over 250, (never posted a speed ) Andrew took mine to Auz... It was strange for a vtail how well it flew inverted. You can see how flat the wings were and the vtail seemes to have a higher than normal vertical vector/component. I'm sure it helped that I used reflexed camber when inverted. Only vtail I ever flew inverted that didn't seem to care much.

Probably one of the best FAST Acro DS planes was/is ?? the Wizard Compact DSX, (I tried getting one a few times). Ian has a great ACRO DS video on it's page.

The Divia is another floating xtail.
Last edited by daboz; Feb 05, 2019 at 11:55 AM.
Feb 05, 2019, 03:47 PM
Thread OP
Progressing onthe group buy. Everyone should be hearing from me soon. Sorry for the delays, we just got our new warehouse so spending time getting it prepped and ready to move into.

We have yet another Acro contender in the mix, this one will be a 2m span with cross tail. We will get a prototype made up and hand it over to Tebo for some destructive testing. Cant say much more about this one.. Supposed to be hush hush.. LOL Testing will be interesting on this one.

-Wayne
Feb 07, 2019, 04:41 PM
DS in Training .. .
Patiently waiting
Feb 07, 2019, 07:00 PM
Thread OP
Please check your email.

If anyone is interested in getting one of these planes, and you did not get an email from me, please email me now at [email protected] . Thanks! Sending out confirmation emails now.

On my list at this time are: Dominic, Josh, Joel, Daniel & James and one more possible. Off to go check PMs here as I think I am missing someone. Please, if possible email me, not PMs or facebooks, etc.
Jul 26, 2019, 03:49 PM
DS Junkie
Sonets are in, and so far they look outstanding. Very strong layup all around, including the wings and v-tails, and a beefy wide joiner. I'll be outfitting mine with KST x10s in the wing and KST 320s in the fuse.
Jul 26, 2019, 10:10 PM
Remember... Fly for fun!
I've seen some pics lately, and I must say these look absolutely amazing! Josh graciously let me fly his light one at weldon on a light day and it was responsive, light and fast.

These double carbon layups seem the absolute business.
Jul 27, 2019, 04:30 PM
DS Junkie
Build is coming along. Went with Kst 320 in the fuse.
Jul 27, 2019, 09:32 PM
DS in Training .. .
looking great @ScreaminEagle i have started mine as well , can't wait .
Jul 27, 2019, 10:00 PM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Those ms320s are nice servos
Jul 28, 2019, 10:26 AM
DS Junkie
The 320s are awesome. Real fast, zero slop and dead quiet when you're not moving them.

Decided I didn't like the ball links. Better to have the linkage in line with the output shafts. Built small risers for the servos to raise them to pushrod level. Everything is straight now, still fits easily under the nose cone.
Aug 03, 2019, 10:51 AM
DS Junkie
Here's the layout in the nose for battery and Rx. Using an end to end 18650 pack from Spencer and an optima 6 Rx. Included lead noseweight (3.7 oz) from Vaclav is in there as well. Looks like it'll need about 4-5 more oz to hit CG. With that weight, I'm currently at 98 oz without linkages in the wing.
Aug 03, 2019, 10:59 AM
"PULL IT" -- S.L.
She's looking very nice Dom!

Quick Reply