Jan 15, 2019, 05:33 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Sonet - DS Acro F3F ship

Hey all,

Seems more and more of you are interested in DS Acro ships and wanted to let you know that we are putting together a group buy for some Sonet for this role. We have one double carbon Sonet (heavy F3F layup) that has been doing DS Acro up to 200 mph. Seems it is pretty impressive as a number of folks that have seen the plane fly and or flown it have asked to get a copy for themselves. So we are doing just that. I have posted up some photos and such over here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Who-s-prettier

These are really very nice ships. They are not intended for these sorts of speeds, but they seem to be able to take it. The build quality of Vaclav plays a huge role in this strength. They are works of art.

The DS layup goes a bit beyond a heavy F3F layup, mostly beefing up the tail even more.

If you are interested, please PM me. We are doing what may be a one time group buy on this plane. The more we can get, the better the pricing should be. I don't do group buys all that often, but this is a special plane. Great value for the money.

-Wayne
Last edited by Rotozuk; Jan 15, 2019 at 09:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 15, 2019, 06:57 PM
"PULL IT" -- S.L.

Sonet F3F Maiden_202 MPH

Wayne was awesome enough to sell me his personal Sonet. Brandon did an amazing job fitting her out. She went 202 on her maiden at Weldon on August 21st, 2018. I’ve flown the Sonet quite a few times since then, and I absolutely love this plane.

I’ll go ahead and post her speed on the Speed List now.

Date: 8/21/18
Pilot: Josh Roth
Plane: Sonet F3F
Speed: 202 mph
Witness: Bruce Tebo
Radar: Stalker Pro 2
Gyro/DCS?: NO
Last edited by Any Day Flying; Jan 15, 2019 at 07:08 PM.
Jan 16, 2019, 09:57 AM
Crashing is not a crime
we need video!
Last edited by Aerogance; Jan 16, 2019 at 12:03 PM.
Jan 16, 2019, 11:07 AM
FLY THE PLANE
Very cool!

Shes a beauty.

Great to see this F plane DS thing spreading again.

Hmmmm....
Jan 16, 2019, 11:54 AM
Thread OP
Josh,

You want to talk about the planes abilities that you enjoy? It sounds like the speed limit for the stock double carbon was about 200mph where flutter may have started to sneak in. This is going to vary on how you setup your surfaces.

We also have another plane in the works that has a little more heritage for DS Acro work and a cross tail. Should have a prototype of that one soon.

The Sonet is one of the best deals out there, I think the base F3F version starts under 1,000 euro. We are waiting to confirm the DS price, but I think it will be very reasonable also.

While talking of DS ships, we have a few more ships on the way from a new supplier from South Africa. These look to be very promising, they have a great reputation with the locals there.

And we have another prototype on the way also, the D-40 has gone on a weight loss program as a new year resolution. This is a total experiment that I have been wanting to try. Spread tow for weight loss, but plenty of strength. Should be more acro oriented now with a few other changes we threw in.

-Wayne
Jan 16, 2019, 12:05 PM
Crashing is not a crime
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Angels
Very cool!

Shes a beauty.

Great to see this F plane DS thing spreading again.

Hmmmm....
Brandon and Dominic have been keeping the FDS flame alive for years, before that Bosley and Buxton were proponents. Josh has the bug!
Jan 16, 2019, 12:25 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
Saw Josh fly this plane fly a few weeks ago. Looked very solid in med air. I was impressed and I could tell he was stoked all the way round.
Jan 16, 2019, 12:45 PM
"PULL IT" -- S.L.
Sure Wayne,

The thing I enjoy most about the Sonet is how hard it turns. Ive never seen an F Plane turn as hard as the Sonet does. The Sonet will do endless loops just behind the saddle the diameter of which appear to be about the size of a small car. Opening up or stretching a loop (on the front or the back side) is really fun -- youll find that the Sonet goes exactly where you point it. It seems to be equally happy inverted.

The Sonet rolls nicely, is very stable in pitch, and tracks much better than I anticipated. The Sonet likes to fly fast. It covers ground, and maintains energy very well, yet will still land at close to no ground speed in most of the conditions Ive flown it. The Sonet appears to have no bad habits. Ive repeatedly hung on the elevator without it dropping a wing unexpectedly.

The Sonet is a great model. It's by far my favorite F3F Plane. Im ordering another one already. I want to make sure that I have at least one Sonet in my quiver at all times.

I wish there was video of the maiden That was a really fun day!!

Josh
Jan 16, 2019, 03:24 PM
Crashing is not a crime
Sounds like a winner!
Jan 16, 2019, 03:54 PM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk

We also have another plane in the works that has a little more heritage for DS Acro work and a cross tail. Should have a prototype of that one soon.

-Wayne
Now this has my interest. I'm not a v-tail fan...
Jan 16, 2019, 04:44 PM
Thread OP
Remember the Nyx DS? This new plane shares a lot of DNA, but with a few important changes to the tail section to handle those 250 mph speeds the old Nyx posted.

We have been working on getting this new plane into production for a while, and I expect to have it for the DS Fest along with the other new ships. Should be fun!

-Wayne
Jan 16, 2019, 08:41 PM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Woo hoo! Put my name down Wayne!! We will be in some serious talks during the fest by the sounds of it
Jan 18, 2019, 09:06 AM
FLY THE PLANE
Yep! Watched them whenever possible.

QUOTE=Aerogance;40934841]Brandon and Dominic have been keeping the FDS flame alive for years, before that Bosley and Buxton were proponents. Josh has the bug![/QUOTE]
Jan 18, 2019, 11:14 PM
Heavy's good, heavy's reliable
I built this plane up for Josh. Beautiful workmanship on these, right there with Baudis and Samba.

The F ships make such fun DS planes when outfitted right. I think the weak point is in the V Tail right after the joiner. Ive had a few tails crack right past the joiner as its a big stress rise there. With the right layup and some added carbon it would pretty much take care of it.

Just got to keep in mind they are for doing killer acro and not all out speed.

Oh, and Phil, I want my Pitbull back for this spring!!! Ill be in touch
Jan 27, 2019, 09:03 AM
"PULL IT" -- S.L.

Sonet thread on rc-network.de

Lots of Sonet info here..

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...k)-Erfahrungen

Quick Reply