Aug 25, 2021, 06:09 PM
They break easily. I recently broke one of mines just by transporting it to the field. I like the green in the wheel well. I love my Arrows Bearcat, but I like the Flightline because to me it has better details and its built better. But, I love my Arrows since its on 4s now.
Did you change the hinges on the flaps? It looks so in the picture.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 25, 2021, 07:03 PM
Has anyone had an issue with their retracts seizing or just not working properly?
Aug 25, 2021, 08:36 PM
Michael S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtimer1
Has anyone had an issue with their retracts seizing or just not working properly?
No real issues with the Bearcat. The rotating ones on the Corsair are a different story....

Michael
Aug 26, 2021, 09:47 AM
Fox Four,..Guns, Guns, Guns!
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandVibe1
They break easily. I recently broke one of mines just by transporting it to the field. I like the green in the wheel well. I love my Arrows Bearcat, but I like the Flightline because to me it has better details and its built better. But, I love my Arrows since its on 4s now.
Did you change the hinges on the flaps? It looks so in the picture.
The gun tubes are not stock but individual slip in and are tight so I'm leaving them un-glued just in case I have to remove them. This was a used plane so the previous owner had painted the wheel wells. I probably would have done it myself anyways.

As soon as I got the plane home I went through it and found I had to replaced a few hinges. I replaced with dubro plastic hinges as the original ones were brittle and just pulled apart easily during inspection. Evidently I missed the flaps because on maiden I had one flap come apart on roll out and flipped her 4 feet in the air. So when I fixed her up from the crash I replaced all the hinges.
Aug 26, 2021, 05:29 PM
I like the idea of just having the gun tubes slip in. I was planning on doing all my hinges like that. But, instead just put Blenderm tape on the bottom of the control surfaces. If they start to come apart especially during flight, I hope the Blenderm tape will hold it together, so I could land. Then I will do the Dubro hinges.
Oct 16, 2021, 12:53 AM
So how does this plane do on non-putting-green grass?

I flew just belly landers for a long time, and in the last couple years started flying at a club, and got a Parkzone P-47 and FW-190 with retracts. I had these planes as belly landers for years before, and they stayed in basically pristine condition. Now these new ones with retracts are getting all beat up by nose-overs, wing strikes, etc.., and to be honest - however weird it makes me sound - I don't like it. I don't like beat up, dented up, scratched up foamies with mangled up vertical stabs from flip-overs.... So..., is this Bearcat going to flip over like all these other smaller foamies with retracts(my 1200mm E-flite P-47 does it too...) It's kind of a transition phase for me still getting used to having a big open club to fly at, but there's no budget for bigger planes..(nor patience for messing with changing storage and transport habits...) I like planes in the 1100mm range best, and that's not going to change. I may however have to shift things a bit if I have to accept that any plane with retracts is going to get banged up 100x faster than my belly landers ever did... So how does this Bearcat do in grass? And the other Arrows planes for that matter - including the P-47. They are all on sale at Steinschweiger in Austria right now btw(only the smaller P-47 has free shipping though. Expensive shipping for the others afiak..)... Thanks.
Nov 05, 2021, 04:02 PM
Santa Cruz, CA
Thread OP
Looks like this model had been discontinued. Bummer.

https://www.hobbyzone.com/arrows/pnp/AH005P.html
Nov 05, 2021, 05:16 PM
Tyro of the Hudson
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchmidtsKatze

I flew just belly landers for a long time, and in the last couple years started flying at a club, and got a Parkzone P-47 and FW-190 with retracts. I had these planes as belly landers for years before, and they stayed in basically pristine condition. Now these new ones with retracts are getting all beat up by nose-overs, wing strikes, etc.., and to be honest - however weird it makes me sound - I don't like it. I don't like beat up, dented up, scratched up foamies with mangled up vertical stabs from flip-overs.... So..., is this Bearcat going to flip over like all these other smaller foamies with retracts(my 1200mm E-flite P-47 does it too...) It's kind of a transition phase for me still getting used to having a big open club to fly at, but there's no budget for bigger planes..(nor patience for messing with changing storage and transport habits...) I like planes in the 1100mm range best, and that's not going to change. I may however have to shift things a bit if I have to accept that any plane with retracts is going to get banged up 100x faster than my belly landers ever did... So how does this Bearcat do in grass? And the other Arrows planes for that matter - including the P-47. They are all on sale at Steinschweiger in Austria right now btw(only the smaller P-47 has free shipping though. Expensive shipping for the others afiak..)... Thanks.

I need to invent a CG shifting tool. When the plane touches down a magnet releases a steel ball bearing to roll aft in a tube to plant the tail wheel.

Yea, I have a few repaired fins/rudders. The Eflite PT17 Stearman is the worst offender as built.

I was talking to our club secretary about the condition of our geotex and retract damage. While he admitted the surface under the geotex was terribly eroded (since fixed quite well) he only owned fixed landing gear planes and really had no damage. A light clicked on for me and I got back into the laboratory and finished my Great Planes PT 19 low wing trainer that I upgraded with Dubro low bounce wheels. Bigger bird, fixed rugged gear, low bounce tires. Hopefully maidened this weekend.
Last edited by SteelonSteel; Nov 05, 2021 at 05:21 PM.
Nov 29, 2021, 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PikeStaff
Go to Motion RC and buy the Dynam 4 blade props - https://www.motionrc.com/collections...lade-propeller - they’re 1/2” larger in diameter than the stock prop, will fit the stock propeller hub with a little shaving of the hub holes, and work as well as the stocker...maybe even a bit better.

And they have them in stock. Go get ‘em.
The arrows RC 1100mm P51 Mustang props are in stock and same 10x7.5 same shape only difference is the extra red sticker/paint on the front of the prop
Nov 29, 2021, 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandVibe1
Has anyone had problems with the magnets for the canopy not holding while in flight? My canopy keeps opening while in flight. What modifications did anyone do to keep the canopy from opening while in flight?
Yes. Just happened twice today. First time canopy just flew off and floated down to a nearby road. I was lucky to be able to land the canopy-less plane safely first and then grab the canopy before it gets run over by any car traffic. Then I thought that was just by chance of a gusty wind so flew second time. This time flew high to trim but found it not stable no matter how I trim it it destabilize soon after before I realize that the canopy is opened again but this time the tall vertical tail catched the canopy causing tail heavy and lots of turbulence. Much more difficult to land it in some wind but finally got the plane back on the ground but hard landing broke the prop. Will certainly need to add more magnets or maybe add Velcro to hold the canopy in place in flight. I think simply add Velcro on the front tip of the canopy so the rear magnet can still be easily opened on the ground
Nov 29, 2021, 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchmidtsKatze

Tail dragged planes are tricky on the ground both take off and landing either you get a tricycle plane with nose gear (easier for other parts of planes but the nose gear will take a beating and you will have to repair and replace nose gear sooner or later)
To land a tail gear prop plane on uneven grass you want to either slow it down so much it almost like a bird land and stop right on spot no rolling or you instead keep decent speed and fly the plane down the runway only two main wheels touch runway first and use elevator pressure to keep the nose from flipping over until you can gently gradually get the tail wheel on the ground at which point you cut throttle and be ready to steer the tail diligently to keep the plane rolling straight until it finally come to a full stop. This is some non beginner level flying skill to land a tail dragged airplane on rough runway
Nov 29, 2021, 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shschon
Yes. Just happened twice today. First time canopy just flew off and floated down to a nearby road. I was lucky to be able to land the canopy-less plane safely first and then grab the canopy before it gets run over by any car traffic. Then I thought that was just by chance of a gusty wind so flew second time. This time flew high to trim but found it not stable no matter how I trim it it destabilize soon after before I realize that the canopy is opened again but this time the tall vertical tail catched the canopy causing tail heavy and lots of turbulence. Much more difficult to land it in some wind but finally got the plane back on the ground but hard landing broke the prop. Will certainly need to add more magnets or maybe add Velcro to hold the canopy in place in flight. I think simply add Velcro on the front tip of the canopy so the rear magnet can still be easily opened on the ground
I had that happen consistently with mine till I found a piece of metal shaving attached to the magnets on the fuselage. Once I cleaned the magnets the problem went away. I would start with that.
Nov 30, 2021, 01:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drahcir
I had that happen consistently with mine till I found a piece of metal shaving attached to the magnets on the fuselage. Once I cleaned the magnets the problem went away. I would start with that.
I think my problem comes from I use a satellite RX which I routed out the cockpit from the back of the cockpit hatch but did not secure the RX inside so that satellite wire may be responsible for pulling the rear of the canopy piece up inflight. Now removed the satellite RX this small plane does not seem to need satellite RX will try again tommorrow.
Nov 30, 2021, 01:20 AM
Quote:
The arrows RC 1100mm P51 Mustang props are in stock and same 10x7.5 same shape only difference is the extra red sticker/paint on the front of the prop
Just found that a cheaper two blade prop with a 3 mm center hole could be secured to the motor shaft using only the rea half of the plastic prop hub and the silver metal front nut. Maybe use a few drop of blue non-permanent lock-tite for extra security and you can be back flying. I found a Master Air Screw 10x9 black two blade prop which fit this way to my Bearcat and looks nice.
Nov 30, 2021, 01:31 AM
Quote:
Tail dragged planes are tricky on the ground both take off and landing either you get a tricycle plane with nose gear (easier for other parts of planes but the nose gear will take a beating and you will have to repair and replace nose gear sooner or later)
To land a tail gear prop plane on uneven grass you want to either slow it down so much it almost like a bird land and stop right on spot no rolling or you instead keep decent speed and fly the plane down the runway only two main wheels touch runway first and use elevator pressure to keep the nose from flipping over until you can gently gradually get the tail wheel on the ground at which point you cut throttle and be ready to steer the tail diligently to keep the plane rolling straight until it finally come to a full stop. This is some non beginner level flying skill to land a tail dragged airplane on rough runway
BTW this F8F need weight in the nose to fly more stable. Manual recommend 2200~2500mAh but I fly with 2265 3 cell still feel CG can be more forward for better stability. Instead of adding dead nose weight I find you can put two 2200mAh 3 cell as far forward as possible and get decent CG. This way the plane has better CG for better stability plus it can get insanely long flight time, maybe over 10 min.

Quick Reply