Nov 26, 2020, 06:30 AM
Augermeister
Anyone install a sound system in this plane? Cabin sidewalls are low and would need some carving for the speakers but placing up front close to the nose would eliminate need to add any weight. Just pondering.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 26, 2020, 10:47 AM
I tested a MrRCSound system in mine a few years ago. I was able to put two transducers in it, across from each other in the fuse at the wing leading edge. The foam was hollowed out some to get a thinner fuse wall for better volume. Two units made the plane heavy however so landing speeds went up and wear and tear on the retracts was higher. I eventually stripped the system back out.

In the video, the transducers weren't glued down well so the sound quality is bad/staticy and not representative of what the system is capable of.

Eleven Hobby F8F Bearcat with sound system (3 min 57 sec)
Last edited by Davy101; Nov 26, 2020 at 03:34 PM.
Nov 28, 2020, 02:48 PM
Augermeister
Cool. I have a 4.1. pcb but was thinking of the ess version. ~ $80.00 I'll hold off for a while.

Impressed with the quality. Foam, paint job, decals. All top not notch. And goes together with 6 screws? C'mon. Can't wait to get her up in the air. Have a 4S 3300 enroute but I have a couple Admiral 4s 4000's. Not a huge difference in weight.
Dec 08, 2020, 09:56 PM

Nose weights

Flew my Bearcat maiden with 2x 3S 2200 batteries (6 oz per battery) to get my CG right, which made the plane feel like a porker.

Didn't feel like cutting into my foam so I glued on my nose weights this way.
4 pennies and 4 nickels added up to a little over 1 oz. PC-7 epoxy is some pretty dense thick stuff, so that might have bumped the coin weights up to 1.25 oz give or take.
Still, with propeller attached and a 4S 2200 battery (7 oz) this gave me 95mm CG on the dot, as per the book.
If I decide to fly with one 3S 2200 battery I will probably need to shove another 1 oz in coins in my battery bay.
I'd rather fly lighter rather than longer.

What do you guys consider to be TOO heavy for this plane in battery weight?
Dec 09, 2020, 01:57 AM

Paining foam

Hi

Was thinking of doing a little airbrush work on my Bearcat. Maybe bash it into a semi French Indochina kind of look with yellow/black invasion stripes and some weathering. Not much experience with these foam models and the surface finish doesn't seem too robust and definitely looks like it won't take any masking tape.

Anyone done anything similar with success?

Cheers

Mike
Dec 09, 2020, 05:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchroniclesword
Flew my Bearcat maiden with 2x 3S 2200 batteries (6 oz per battery) to get my CG right, which made the plane feel like a porker.

Didn't feel like cutting into my foam so I glued on my nose weights this way.
4 pennies and 4 nickels added up to a little over 1 oz. PC-7 epoxy is some pretty dense thick stuff, so that might have bumped the coin weights up to 1.25 oz give or take.
Still, with propeller attached and a 4S 2200 battery (7 oz) this gave me 95mm CG on the dot, as per the book.
If I decide to fly with one 3S 2200 battery I will probably need to shove another 1 oz in coins in my battery bay.
I'd rather fly lighter rather than longer.

What do you guys consider to be TOO heavy for this plane in battery weight?
Fly with a 4s-3300 pack and you will Not need any added weight. I feel 3s in this is too slow anyway unless you have no wind at all. The Bearcat is very light and can use a little weight but by using a bigger pack. I get 7-mins. using the 4s 3300.
Dec 09, 2020, 11:46 AM

fms 3536-1250kv more power

I like the fms 3536-1250kv on either 3s 2600 or 4s 2200 with 50 amp esc . way better than the 850kv and is a direct drop in motor
Dec 20, 2020, 06:47 PM
Augermeister
Maidened today. A bit gusty but I have an A3L installed. Flew great on a 4S 3300 60C HRB. No weight added to nose. No trim needed. Landed nice without nosing over. Impressed but now I want to up the game . Felt kind of slow. Maybe I've grown too accustomed to edf's. Could be. I'm sure the stock prop doesn't help but I think I'll look to retrofit the motor and esc like nsr has done with the 3536-1250kv. Might even have one laying around. Did a similar speed retro on the Roc hobby Voodoo.
Dec 21, 2020, 09:05 AM
We Begin bombing in 5 Minutes
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick666
Hi

Was thinking of doing a little airbrush work on my Bearcat. Maybe bash it into a semi French Indochina kind of look with yellow/black invasion stripes and some weathering. Not much experience with these foam models and the surface finish doesn't seem too robust and definitely looks like it won't take any masking tape.

Anyone done anything similar with success?

Cheers

Mike
Mike, painting foam is no problem if you have the correct tape (low tack) and paint that you can put on in light coats. Lots of techniques that would take too much to explain here, but two things I have learned is put the low tack tape on your shirt and then peel it off twice before putting it on the model to lower the tack and always spray the plane with dusting coats of paint initially to coat the surface but not heavy enough to cover the under coat to kind of seal the old paint in layers. Hard to explain, but just don't point and shoot. The dusting coat can dry a little faster and grab the undercoat for more grip. This will prevent peeling later. Hope that makes sense. There are tutorials in the RC Groups in the painting your model section I think.
Latest blog entry: Freewing V2 Me 262 revival
Jan 11, 2021, 04:55 PM
Augermeister
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsr500v
I like the fms 3536-1250kv on either 3s 2600 or 4s 2200 with 50 amp esc . way better than the 850kv and is a direct drop in motor
I still have the 770kv 3648 from my Roc Hobby Voodoo. That was a screamer. But I also have a 1250KV 3536 that I could go with. Seems pretty high strung for the job.
Jan 26, 2021, 02:40 PM
Is the stock esc ok with 4s? Going to try a 4s 3300 in her. Was flying on 3s with nose weight added. Took out the nose weight and will just go with the 4s.
Jan 26, 2021, 05:19 PM
Augermeister
jhan,

I ran mine that exact same way without a problem but managed the throttle. Didn't go wide open for extended runs. Now modified with a 150kv motor and 50 amp esc. While she's faster, I did notice the cabin was very warm after a 5 minute sortie. Really spooling up the rpms. I might go back and try the motor I had in the Roc Hobby Voodoo. 770kv. Used a 60 amp esc and ran on 5S. Two blade square prop. 10x10. That plane was a rocket ship
Jan 26, 2021, 05:20 PM
Augermeister
jhan,

I ran mine that exact same way without a problem but managed the throttle. Didn't go wide open for extended runs. Now modified with a 1250kv motor and 50 amp esc. While she's faster, I did notice the cabin was very warm after a 5 minute sortie. Really spooling up the rpms. I might go back and try the motor I had in the Roc Hobby Voodoo. 770kv. Used a 60 amp esc and ran on 5S. Two blade square prop. 10x10. That plane was a rocket ship
Last edited by dahawk47; Jan 28, 2021 at 07:08 PM.
Jan 28, 2021, 08:43 AM
Thanks Dahawk, I will give it a go and keep an eye on the temp. If she seems hot I’ll grab a 50 amp esc.
Feb 09, 2021, 02:29 AM
Fox Four,..Guns, Guns, Guns!
The aftermath after the maiden of refurbished used planes. The Bearcat didn’t maiden so well (faulty stripped port side flap servo) resulted in a flip over on take off. The kitchen table turned NTSB investigation / workshop. Better get it cleaned up before the wife gets home LOL,...

Quick Reply