Jan 15, 2019, 05:21 AM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

NX3 3D Flight Controller Gyroscope Balance For Fixed-wing Aircraft

I have just used this module for the first time. It cost me $12 and it functions very nicely. If you compare it to Eagle Tree Guardian 2D/3D Stabilizer then you will find that this module is much simpler to setup but is also very limited.
The manual attached is confusing so I will make my corrections below.

Modes:

It has 3 simple modes, controlled by a 3-state switch:
  1. Rate Mode (Status LED constantly ON): Used to correct for wind. It does not serve as auto-level mode.
  2. Gyro Off Mode (Status LED OFF): Module does not control the plane.
  3. Hold Mode, Attitude hold. Similar to 3D mode.
The switch cannot be configured, that is, the Gyro Off Mode is always the center position.
My impression was that the Hold mode is very efficient and the Rate mode is redundant.
Note that you cannot use this module to save your plane in case of vertigo. It does not have an auto-level mode (2D mode).

Configuration:

You have to select the type of plane.
Use the supplied screwdriver to set the dip switches as follows:
  • Single Aileron (or rather, single-channel ailerons): All switches off (Left position).
  • Normal (per-aileron channel): Only switch "AIL2" on.
  • Delta: Only switch "DELTA" on.
  • V-Tail: Only switch "VTAIL" on.

Later, you will have to adjust gain control trim pots. This part is well explained in the manual.

Resetting the module is as follows:
  1. Turn on your transmitter.
  2. Move flight mode switch to Rate mode.
  3. Connect the plane battery.
  4. Switch quickly the flight mode switch: ->Hold mode->Rate mode->Hold mode->Rate mode
  5. Wait for one of the servos to twitch.

Master gain can be reduced by reducing the EPA (End Point Adjustment) of the channel controlled by the flight mode switch:
If this sounds too complicated, let me give an example:
  • I connected channel 6 of my receiver to input AUX-IN in the module.
  • I assigned channel 6 to 3-state switch E on my Tx.
  • To reduce master gain, I reduced channel 6 EPA from 100% to 80% in both directions.
Note: Increasing EPA over 100% has no effect.

Final Note:
NX3 module is cheap but limited. If you just need a Stabilizer then it is a good choice.
I have no information about its reliability. I do know that the first module Banggood sent me was not functional. They sent me a replacement module for free.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 23, 2019, 07:04 AM
casual park flyer
This stabilizer has been around a while > https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...nx3+stabilizer

I just discovered this a month ago while searching for an alternative to the Orange stand alone 3-axis gyros I've been using. The NX3 has connections for seperate aileron servos and has flaperon compatibility which I need for my Dynam Corsair setup. Ordered from Banggood's USA warehouse. Took about a week for deivery. https://www.banggood.com/NX3-3D-Flig..._warehouse=USA No problem understanding instruction sheet. Have elected not to connect the transmitter switch control function as I'm not interested in flying with it off and will adjust the gain on the unit itself. Have mine set for slightly less than the initial recommendations at 1:00 for elevator and rudder. And since ailerons are reversed have them set for 11:00. have verified all works well. Will flight test soon.
Last edited by 52Sabre; Sep 23, 2019 at 09:56 AM.
Dec 18, 2019, 08:58 AM
Build, crash...repeat
I bought 2 of these and used one so far in a scratchbuilt Drak copy. It does seem to stabilize and smooth out the flight. But I canít figure out what to set the 3 little screws to. The manual recommends 10/2 oíclock for initial setting. Does that mean somewhere between 10 and 2? What does less or more do? Is one better than another? Is a higher setting more stabilizing than a lower setting? I set mine for 12:00 for now. Can anyone help me?
Dec 18, 2019, 07:05 PM
casual park flyer
What's a Drak??

12:00 does nothing. Read and understand the instructions. 10:00 compensates in one direction. 2:00 compensates the same amount but in the opposite direction.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk
Dec 18, 2019, 08:22 PM
Build, crash...repeat
I did read Of course but I didnít understand; thatís why I asked here!
Thatís what it seemed to me, but it strikes me as odd that it canít compensate the same in both directions. Why not?
A Drak:

https://www.readymaderc.com/products...-mini-drak-kit
Dec 25, 2019, 08:59 PM
sportflyer
Is there a mark or arrow indicating which direction the servo should be mounted (ie servo pins front or pins rear ) tks
Dec 25, 2019, 09:09 PM
sportflyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleRRon
Thatís what it seemed to me, but it strikes me as odd that it canít compensate the same in both directions. Why not?
A Drak:

You misunderstand . The compensation is the same for both deflections . The 2pm and 10pm setting only changes the directions of the compensation .
Dec 28, 2019, 03:39 AM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
Quote:
A Drak:

The unit does compensate same in both directions ... the reason for 10 o clock and 2 o clock is servo direction ...

Lets say you set it to 10 o clock and then testing you find gyro moves servo in opposite direction to what is required ... then alter pot to 2 o clock and now servo will move correct direction ...

As said before as well ... 12 o clock is zero gain ...
Feb 03, 2020, 04:32 PM
casual park flyer
Using the VRC pot on my Turnigy i10 to control the gain of my NX3 stabilizer. Plane was getting bounced around by a cold gusty 8-10 mph crosswind with a setting of 10%. Watched it settle down nicely as I increased the gain to 20%. Very nice.
Last edited by 52Sabre; Feb 03, 2020 at 05:34 PM.
Feb 06, 2020, 04:32 PM
Build, crash...repeat
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife
The unit does compensate same in both directions ... the reason for 10 o clock and 2 o clock is servo direction ...

Lets say you set it to 10 o clock and then testing you find gyro moves servo in opposite direction to what is required ... then alter pot to 2 o clock and now servo will move correct direction ...

As said before as well ... 12 o clock is zero gain ...
Thanks! I got it now.
Feb 06, 2020, 04:33 PM
Build, crash...repeat
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Sabre
Using the VRC pot on my Turnigy i10 to control the gain of my NX3 stabilizer. Plane was getting bounced around by a cold gusty 8-10 mph crosswind with a setting of 10%. Watched it settle down nicely as I increased the gain to 20%. Very nice.
Interesting. Just how did you do that?
Feb 06, 2020, 05:04 PM
casual park flyer
Quote:
Interesting. Just how did you do that?
Followed step 4 of the instruction sheet. But instead of assigning a 3 position switch I assigned the VRC pot. Pretty easy with an i10. I have channel 6 of my iA6 rcvr plugged into the controlling AUX-IN port of the NX3. First thing you do is to physically adjust the 3 gain controls on the NX3 to max. Then under "auxiliary channels" I assigned Ch. 6 to be controlled by the VRC pot. And then renamed it to "GYRO GAIN". You can then go to "Display Servos" and watch channel 6 gain change as you adjust the pot. I have it normally set at around 10%. And can easily bump it up while flying if needed. Works pretty slick. Of course I verified it all worked on the bench before flying. This would work similar with other radios.
Last edited by 52Sabre; Feb 06, 2020 at 05:40 PM.
Feb 07, 2020, 03:03 AM
Most Gyro stabs will allow variable gain control - its just be careful with the lesser able gyros to not mistakenly link the MODE switch to variable !! That could be interesting ...

Even the old Orange Gyro could work with variable pot on Tx.
Feb 07, 2020, 06:36 AM
casual park flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife
Most Gyro stabs will allow variable gain control - its just be careful with the lesser able gyros to not mistakenly link the MODE switch to variable !! That could be interesting ...

Even the old Orange Gyro could work with variable pot on Tx.
With my pot setup 12:00 center position is off. And the LED is out. Adjust to the left and your in gyro rate mode with the LED solid. 10:00 is about 10 - 15% gyro. To the right of 12:00 and the LED blinks and your in hold mode. Haven't played with that yet and not sure if it's something I'll use much.
Last edited by 52Sabre; Feb 07, 2020 at 11:04 AM.
Feb 07, 2020, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Sabre
With my pot setup 12:00 center position is off. And the LED is out. Adjust to the left and your in gyro rate mode with the LED solid. 10:00 is about 10 - 15% gyro. To the right of 12:00 and the LED blinks and your in hold mode. Haven't played with that yet and not sure if it's something I'll use much.
I prefer 3 pos switch for MODE and variable pot for gain only ..... why ? I have the crashes to show for not doing it that way !!

My 3 pos switch has audible warning for each mode .... but pot doesn't. Even so - I have taken off with switch in HOLD mode .... what a rollercoaster ride that gives !! With all on the Pot ?? Hate to think what I would get into ...

Quick Reply