Mar 28, 2021, 08:18 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Thread OP

What to do while waiting for paint to dry.

While the exterior paint gets another day to dry, decided to see how the inside woodwork will go. Took several tries but finally found some stain that matches the 1:1 pretty close when put on balsa wood. Broke out the 1/32" thick balsa and stained it and the cut out some pieces to try on those bedroom closets and night stand I built way back sometime. Looks really nice and a coat of semi gloss urethane clear will top them off. Pics below.

Bob
to remove ads between posts
Mar 29, 2021, 09:54 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Thread OP

And so it begins

Started the first major taping of the exterior paint job. 1/16" thick trim tape will make the blue line dividing the lower and upper colors. This is going to take awhile.

Bob
Last edited by xx29l9; Mar 30, 2021 at 10:31 AM.
Mar 31, 2021, 08:26 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Thread OP

First look

Took the tape off after spraying the Champagne Mist on the upper portion of the lower storage doors. Pic does not do it justice. Now just need to wait for clear coat and hand lever put on them. Clear won't go on till whole motorhome is painted.

Bob
Last edited by xx29l9; Apr 01, 2021 at 09:10 AM.
Apr 02, 2021, 06:50 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Thread OP

Natures paint booth

Taking advantage of the weather while I can. Shot some flat iron metal grey on the lower trim of the body. Let that dry for a day or 2 while we ha e company and then on to the first big swoosh of champagne mist. Pics below.

Bob
Apr 06, 2021, 11:17 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Thread OP

Running out of champagne-

Quickly put some tape down so I could shoot the big mid area with Champagne Mist. All was going well till the can ran out of paint. No worries, I'll go in the closet and get a new can. Oh oh, hmmmm, no extra can to use. So now I'll let this dry 2-3 days before touching up with a final coat or two. I see where some of my tape lifted slightly so I might need to do a little bit of touch up with the darker grey too. Typical. Pic below.

Bob
Apr 14, 2021, 11:12 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Thread OP

Kind of like Christmas

The strong winds we've had the last 5 days or so have kept my paint booth shut down. Got a break today and rushed out and sprayed final top coat of Champagne Mist. Then started taking off all the tape and its kind of like Christmas and waiting to see what is going to happen. Turned out nice. Justva couple small touch up spots where the tape slightly lifted and a little mist of paint got in the wrong spot. Had to try out the lower storage doors and wow. Now let this dry a few days and I'll start on all the swirls. Pics below.

Bob
Last edited by xx29l9; Apr 15, 2021 at 02:48 PM.
Apr 19, 2021, 07:13 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Thread OP

Blue stripe #1 done

Was able to tape up and paint the first blue stripe on. Looks to have turned out nice and even all around. Now on to the harder stripes. Pics below.

Bob
Jul 27, 2021, 08:29 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Thread OP

Why didnt I do that earlier?

If anyone was wondering why I wasn't painting stripes on the large slideout it was because I was concerned about what carpet material I might use and how much that might raise the slideout and where the stripes would line up. Got tired of thinking about it and decided I better do something so I grabbed a piece of material from a previous project and went for it. Slight adjustments can be made later if necessary. Pic below.

Bob
Last edited by xx29l9; Jul 27, 2021 at 08:49 PM.
Aug 03, 2021, 07:06 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Thread OP

These stripes...oooof, these stripes

Sometimes in the middle of a build you come across something you just want done now. Well, these stripes will not be done now. They take time and a lot of it. Making some progress but it is slow. Pics below.

Bob
Aug 06, 2021, 10:40 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Thread OP

Need more tape

Running low on the good Tamiya vinyl tape. Will head to the hobby shop tomorrow to get more. In the meantime I was able to finish the golden colored outside border of the swoop blue line on the storage doors. Very time consuming for such short lines. Pic below.

Bob
Aug 12, 2021, 10:12 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Thread OP

Well, sometimes you just have to chuckle a little

It's 106deg. outside so no painting. Thought I'd test out the front windshield forming process and see how it goes. First up was to gjve the shop vac a complete cleaning and new filter since it is going into the house. Got everything ready to go for first try. Oven heated and away w a go. Plopped first sheet of plastic down and hit the shop vac. Huh? Instead of sucking down around tbe form it blew up like a domed ceiling vent. Doh, I reversed the intake and exhaust hose. Bonehead move for sure. Got that set and tried 2nd go around. Turned out pretty good. This test is to show me if the form needs any work. It is 99.5% good, one tiny spot that left a litle dent I dont like. I rough cut out this test window and set it in the motorhome....I really like the lines. Looks sharp. Another pull or 2 to come soon after some form touch up. Pics below.

Bob
Sep 16, 2021, 08:16 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Thread OP

One more blue stripe down

Got the 3rd big blue strip down. One more to go and then I can add the dark grey into 2 of tbe stripes. Slowly but surely..,,

Pics below

Bob
Sep 26, 2021, 09:09 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Thread OP

And then there was one

Finally got the last of the big stripes taped out on the right side. Was lucky to shoot some paint down before rain moved in. Since this is one of the side stripes with grey kn fhe middle of it, after this dries for a few days I'll tape off the thin stripe and shoot the grey. Normally I'd take all this stuff off to look at at. Not this time. Also taped up and painted the entry door. Looks good.

Bob
Sep 30, 2021, 04:31 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Thread OP

It's in the details

Removed all the tape on the right side after shooting the grey insert color on one of the stripes. Needs a little bit of clean up in a couple places but I really like the look. More to follow.

Bob
Last edited by xx29l9; Sep 30, 2021 at 07:08 PM.

Quick Reply