Jan 11, 2021, 08:09 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Thread OP

Granite or Formica?

Kitchen counter top cut out and glued to the base. 1:1 has a granite type counter top. I found a sample of Formica type material that had a pattern small enough to look pretty good in the model. Supposed to keep raining so no paint yet. Building these details should help me get the interior done a little quicker once I get to that point. Pic below,

Bob
to remove ads between posts
Jan 17, 2021, 06:12 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Thread OP

Woohoo

The big white motorhome is now the big blue motor home. Took 1.5 cans of spray paint, but its got a nice even coverage. This first coat is mainly to point me to areas needing some filler and sanding. Not many areas to touch up....looks really nice for first go at color. Pics below.

Bob
Jan 17, 2021, 08:26 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Thread OP

Like what I'm seeing

It's way early, but the dash looks even better with the dark blue around it. I like it.

Bob
Last edited by xx29l9; Jan 17, 2021 at 09:26 PM.
Jan 23, 2021, 08:00 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Thread OP

Always room for improvement

No matter how much you sand and fill and repeat....paint don't lie. Have some spots on the roof and side that need some attention and then a repaint. All part of the process, I really want this paint job to stand out and this is the time to make it right. I did shoot some Rustoleum Champagne Mist on the slide out exterior walls.....really good match to the 1:1 color. Pics below.

Bob
Last edited by xx29l9; Jan 23, 2021 at 08:53 PM.
Jan 24, 2021, 07:22 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Thread OP

Rain puts a damper on painting

Looks like the rain is back for who knows how long. So fresh paint spraying will have to wait. Good time to keep working on the final filler and sanding work so I will be ready when a weather break happens. Also too this time to make the steering servo mount in a better spot. I removed the 3/4" c channel mounts I originally made and replaced them with shorter 1/2" c channel. This helped raise the servo up in tighter to the chassis to help protect it more and improve the steering rod angle between the servo and the steering horn. One of those time consuming and slightly annoying jobs but the right thing to do and I'm glad it's done. Pic below.

Bob
Feb 13, 2021, 10:35 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Thread OP

Hard to paint outside when its snowing

Snow and freezing rain make for a poor painting environment. So lets make more stuff inside. Time to make the stovetop. Some plastic work and aluminum rod for burners and BAM. Stovetop. Pics below.

Bob
Feb 15, 2021, 11:14 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Thread OP

Waiting for the thaw

Waiting for the thaw to win out over the cold. In the meantime small details continue. Was able to spray gloss black on the stove. Gave it a nice shiny finish. Got a start on the microwave and the wooden frame for the dash guage cluster. Pics below.

Bob
Feb 22, 2021, 10:01 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Thread OP

Dodging raindrops

Luckily I can run outside and dodge raindrops to spray small parts. Microwave, dash parts all got some paint while the woodgrain dash got clear shot on it. Not sure when the weather will cooperate to get back to shooting paint on the body. Maybe by July, hopefully sooner.

Bob
Feb 25, 2021, 11:51 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Thread OP

The time sink of details

It's the small details that take so much time but really make a model that much better. Spending way more time on the microwave than I thought I would, but I think it will be worth it in the long run. Didn't originally plan on adding the light underneath it but the more I thought about it the better it sounded. Pretty much done with it now except for printing some decals for the control panel. Pics below.

Bob
Mar 01, 2021, 12:51 AM
Looking amazing! Exceptional work you are doing. Look forward to seeing the final product.

Cheers
Kurt
Mar 02, 2021, 08:32 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Thread OP
Thanks Kurt....I'm looking forward to the final product too. Got more projects started or in research mode right now. I know it was painted out of order, but wanted a paint and tape test on a smaller part to see how things work before spraying the body. Painted the rear grill area and I like the results. 2 different tapes for the lines and both pulled off clean and had nice sharp lines. Still working on the dash, focused on the accessory toggle switch area now. Decided to add the same feature I did on my last boat build. Pics below.

Bob
Mar 07, 2021, 11:13 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Thread OP

More dash work

Had company all weekend so just a little time to run out in the garage and make something. Started with the dash instrument bezel. Now need to paint them black. Then worked,on the steering column trim piece. Turned out good, now need some paint on it too. Pic below.

Bob
Mar 11, 2021, 10:21 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Thread OP

This dash will be done....someday.

Still painting small dash pieces. Takes 2 days of painting to get a really smooth finish on them. But looks good when done. Working on ghe backup camera and drivers side dash. Getting there piece by piece. Pic below.

Bob
Last edited by xx29l9; Mar 11, 2021 at 11:50 PM.
Mar 23, 2021, 11:46 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Thread OP

The never ending dash

Next break in the weather and I think I can spray the body with the next coat of blue. Until then I'm still poking around working on small dash pieces. I've debated for a long time about if or how to do the awnings over the slideouts. Finally bit the bullet and went for it. Also took a piece of 3/32" aluminum rod and wrapped it around a socket to start the 1.5" steering wheel. Pics below.

Bob
Mar 27, 2021, 07:10 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Thread OP

2nd coat, finally.

It's about time I had the right combo of weather and time. Second coat of blue put on the exterior and the slideouts shot with the predominant color on them. All the areas I filled and sanded awhile ago turned out nice and smooth. Only issue I see is some tiny bubbling on the leading roof edge. Maybe I went a coat too thick or too soon to cause that. Will be fixed after this all dries out for 2 days or so. Then the real paint work starts as I start to tape off all the swirls. Pics below.

Bob

Quick Reply