Jan 14, 2019, 08:25 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Thread OP
Build Log

2006 Damon Astoria Motorhome Scratchbuild

Got lots of rc projects in flight but I just need to get this different kind of project started. This Will be a 1:12 scale 2006 Damon Astoria motor home. I'm getting closer to finishing my Malibu wakesurf boat and will knock a trailer out for it. I have a Clodbuster that I was going to pull it but after some thinking what would be cooler than a model of the motorhome my wife and stumbled onto last summer. Right now I'm planning on a 4 channel radio with 2 of the channels to operate the 2 slide outs. Model will have a complete interior with all interior/exterior lights working. Probably will put a sound module in for diesel engine and air horn sound. I'm a slow builder so this will take awhile, but I received my 6 tires in the mail today and have to start drawing things out for this. As always, comments and suggestions always welcome and I'll share the success and failures as I work through this.

Bob
to remove ads between posts
Feb 10, 2019, 09:56 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Thread OP

Getting things started

Since the only plans I have are the ones I draw out, most of my time early on a project is a bunch of measuring and burning through pencil lead and erasers. Front suspension parts as well as front rims came in the mail with rear rims and differential on backorder for now. I'm still debating on whether to make the frame out of square aluminum tube or plastic....pros and cons for each but leaning towards aluminum for its ridgity. I worked all weekend on drawing and cutting out the 2 major side pieces. Looks good and it is big. Will keep plugging away as I can. Pics below.

Bob
Feb 12, 2019, 11:04 AM
Whare in the world did you get wheels and parts for the motorhome.. I m interested in doing the same thing, only copying a Newell moter coach..
Feb 12, 2019, 11:57 AM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Wood Boats
Whare in the world did you get wheels and parts for the motorhome.. I m interested in doing the same thing, only copying a Newell moter coach..
Hi,
I got wheels from here-

https://store.rc4wd.com/Semi-Truck-Tires_c_89.html

I ordered the rims and suspension parts from Integy-

https://www.integy.com/st_main.html?...8#.XGL31VxKhaR

Not cheap, but the parts look really well done. The suspension parts tend to be a little too narrow for 1:12 scale, but extension parts are available for the axles\rim mounting. For the rear axle I have the leaf springs and chassis mounts, just waiting for the rear end gear/axle assembly to come off backorder. You might want to also search the following for parts/ideas-

https://www.ebay.com/str/semijoes-truck-shop

https://www.truescale-rc.com/

Hope this helps,

Bob
Feb 15, 2019, 10:42 AM
thank you very much,as a member of the disability crowd with an O2 hose on the build is better than the run. You can check out my idea at Newell coaches.com....
Feb 23, 2019, 08:56 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Thread OP

Starting to fill in the big holes...

I cut some plastic out to make the outer edge of the lower storage areas. Shot some black paint on those pieces and while they are drying thought I might as well start shaping the outer wall for the 2 slide outs...pics below.

Bob
Mar 11, 2019, 08:49 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Thread OP

Wheel well trim started

Got some 1/16" thick plastic and made the first wheel well trim piece. Only 3 more to go. Also cut out another storage and vent openings on the walls.

Bob
Mar 13, 2019, 07:56 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Thread OP

Small details will add up eventually....

Finshed all 4 wheel well trim pieces and even squeezed in the entry door trim. Will just plug along as time allows.

Bob
Apr 17, 2019, 09:29 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Thread OP

Air intake

Not much hobby time lately but I did get out to the garage and made the air intake screen tonight. Nothing special, just some plastic strips glued together. Glad it slides into place like it should.

Bob
Apr 20, 2019, 08:56 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
oh,...

Oh no
Apr 21, 2019, 11:02 AM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umi_Ryuzuki
oh,...

Oh no
Little bit of a distraction from the boats eh?

Bob
Jul 29, 2019, 07:16 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Thread OP

Whole lot of nothing going on.....for now

Haven't been out in the garage to work on any type of hobby stuff for a couple months now. Been enjoying summer and all those things that come with it. I did receive my Lesu dually rear rims and axle in the mail today. Bought them from semijoes ebay site and they made it to the left coast in just a couple days. Great service. The build will start up again soon....pic of new stuff below.

Bob
Aug 28, 2019, 01:11 PM
GET BACK IN THE SHOP!!!!!!
Bob,

You are always up to something cool......Cant wait to see more..

DH
Aug 30, 2019, 01:20 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDH
Bob,

You are always up to something cool......Cant wait to see more..

DH
Hi Capt. DH
Thanks....I like to try things that aren't on the shelf for sure. Might take awhile but I do enjoy the process.

Bob
Nov 10, 2019, 08:42 PM
Mopar Musclecar fanatic
Thread OP

That went better than I hoped for...

Hobby time is here again. Been drawing and eyeballing things for quite awhile and now it was time to see what would happen. I'm trying to make the chassis rails and cross supports scale size just so everything should fit easier. The main frame rails are 3/4" tall in s ale with the cross members between 3/8" and 1/2" tall. Problem I was having was the 3/4" aluminum square tube was too wide when both were in place and taking up a lot of room I might need for motor mount and other stuff. I couldn't find any 3/4" c-channel that was narrower than 3/4" either. Well....bought a new metal cut blade for the bandsaw, used2 piecesof aluminum as guides and cut that square tube right down the middle. Went surprisingly well and cut nice and even the whole distance. Cut some cross member parts out and starting to figure out where to put them. Couple pics below.

Bob

Quick Reply