Feb 19, 2019, 05:56 PM
Team Horizon Pilot :)
just received a snipe electric ..ill let you know how it goes ,The quality is amazing .the little motor and spinner are crazy
Gavin
Latest blog entry: cr
to remove ads between posts
Feb 19, 2019, 06:45 PM
Honorable Deplorable
Awesome Gavin!

Having been flying the one you built for me, the electric one looks to be the best of both worlds. Currious how the electric version compairs to the standard version.
Feb 19, 2019, 08:10 PM
a.k.a VintageFan
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Trussell
just received a snipe electric ..ill let you know how it goes ,The quality is amazing .the little motor and spinner are crazy
Gavin
Will you be bringing it to the f5j contest this weekend. I’d love to check it out

Frank
Latest blog entry: Images
Feb 20, 2019, 10:06 AM
Wayne Wimbish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Trussell
Gavin
Hi Gavin,

Is the same type motor as referenced in post #4? I checked out Vladimir's info but could not see any data on the motor.

I'm looking for something similar to bash an old Blaster 2 with.

Thanks,
Wayne
Latest blog entry: Paying for Purchases by PayPal
Feb 20, 2019, 11:25 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwimbish
Hi Gavin,

Is the same type motor as referenced in post #4? I checked out Vladimir's info but could not see any data on the motor.

I'm looking for something similar to bash an old Blaster 2 with.

Thanks,
Wayne
https://www.hyperflight.co.uk/produc...e-2e-power-set
Feb 20, 2019, 11:43 AM
Team Horizon Pilot :)
Ill have it in florida next weekend at f5j
Motor is a 18 dollar sunnysky
Latest blog entry: cr
Nov 17, 2019, 06:13 AM
Have Fun and Just Fly!
Révolution convertible.

Just change the nose cone.
Jan 03, 2020, 06:18 PM
a.k.a VintageFan
Thread OP
It’s almost a year since I started down this path and finally something to show for it.

I bought a crashed Vortex 2 and salvaged the wing and horizontal, I then added a fuselage and vertical from Brian Chirrick. I cut down the vertical. Maybe too much. If it’s not enough I’ll add a sub fin using the rest of the vertical.

Power is from a HCS Compact 380 with a Graupner 9x4 prop and a custom 3S battery made from 3 500mah gumstick packs. Maxes out at about 110W which should be more than adequate. AUW is around 295g.

Frank
Last edited by Frank Campbell; Jan 04, 2020 at 06:51 PM.
Jan 03, 2020, 06:28 PM
Honorable Deplorable
Very nice! Need some fight reports on how well she flies. Agree that the tail looks a little small
Jan 03, 2020, 06:35 PM
a.k.a VintageFan
Thread OP
Maiden flight tomorrow. I’ll report back.

Brent Lytle had his Revolution conversion like the one in post #52 out yesterday. It flew great
Jan 04, 2020, 09:18 AM
Dark Side of the Red Merle
Beautiful Frank!
Looks great, best of luck with the maiden.
Have you used Sailplane Calc to determine the tail sizes? They are Dr Drela formulas and work reasonably well with perhaps some fine tuning afterwards. Your method works too as it's always easier to add than remove.
Curtis
www.TailwindGliders.com
Jan 04, 2020, 06:50 PM
a.k.a VintageFan
Thread OP
Well I must say I am delighted to be back flying DLGs after about a 5 year break. Had to give it up because of knee problems..

Maiden went very well, it flew like a ballasted DLG and in calm conditions it moved around quickly but in lift it climbed just like it should.

Ended up with AUW of 306G with a CG of 62mm without any added weight to adjust CG.

With the Vortex 2 wing that's a loading of 15g/sq dm (4.9 oz/sq ft).

With the HCS 380, 9x5 prop, 3S 500mah it runs about 110W. It climbs vertically with a climb rate of about 5 m/s. I've set the radio to cut power at 150ft and that takes about 8 seconds. It draws 11A which is 25mAh per climb so using 60% of battery capacity gives me about 12 launches on a battery charge.

I was concerned that the vertical might be a bit small but there were no yaw stability problems, however I have set it up rudderless to save weight and with full flap I have zero directional control. If it's heading in the wrong direction I have to retract the flaps to point it where I want then reapply flaps.

I suspect part of the problem is the small vertical and as a first step I will use some of the rest of the lower vertical as a sub-fin. If that doesn't work I'll add a rudder.

Another problem is getting the prop to fold. The usual rubber band method doesn't work with the HCS 380. I'm playing with some sort of hairclip spring arrangement to see if that can work.

For the moment I'll fly it as is and play with the CG a bit. According to the Vortex 2 thread CG around 65 is more normal.

All in all very happy with the way it flies.

Next steps are various refinements to make it a bit easier to set up and change batteries etc.

Long term I would like to see if I can get the weight down to 270g. That combined with something like a Brko wing will give me a wing loading more like a regular DLG.

The most obvious place to reduce weight is the power system, lighter motor and smaller battery. A big problem is finding a lightweight spinner/hub/prop combo.

Frank
Last edited by Frank Campbell; Jan 05, 2020 at 09:15 PM.
Jan 04, 2020, 09:28 PM
Honorable Deplorable
Congrats on the maiden!
Jan 05, 2020, 03:12 PM
Good afternoon,
I have designed and built a composite DLG and read your post about flying an electric DLG. I am interested in add one to my collection, what motor, prop, and system are you using? I am very interested in trying this.
Cheers,
Jan 05, 2020, 06:03 PM
a.k.a VintageFan
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera1
Good afternoon,
I have designed and built a composite DLG and read your post about flying an electric DLG. I am interested in add one to my collection, what motor, prop, and system are you using? I am very interested in trying this.
Cheers,
I am using an HCS 380 combined motor/spinner/hub with a Graupner CAM 9x5 folding prop, Cobra 11A ESC running on a 3S Lipo.

6mm base on prop does not match 5mm spacing on hub so the prop base needs to be filed down to 5mm.

Icare shows motor out of stock but say they will have some soon.

http://www.icare-icarus.com/HCS-Comp...or_p_1235.html

https://www.graupnerusa.com/Electric...336.23.12.html

https://innov8tivedesigns.com/c-11a-esc

Quick Reply