This thread is privately moderated by BMatthews, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 15, 2019, 03:27 PM
Scale Addict
A hard "no" is ok with me. A plane like this does push the "small field" envelope. Other 1/2a racers I have looked at, like the hornet, all seem to be from the 70's anyway so I would guess the GLH was released around then as well which negates it anyway.

I have other ideas, this one just happens to be sitting on the shelf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews
I had a feeling that this was going to come up.

Models like the GLH is one of the options I had in mind when I wrote "an expert pilot could keep it within the confines of a sports field but the average pilot would be kept busy to keep it in that close".

Case in point, look at the small electric pylon racers. Sure, they are less than 30 inch span. But they cover the length of a sports field in under 3 seconds. Some of them WELL under that.

I also built two Hornets back in the day powered by TeeDee engines. And again if I had to I could have kept them within the confines of a soccer field or baseball field. But only with some effort.

I hate to say a flat "no" though. It's worth some discussion.

A good example might be where you fly in a fairly large sports field sized aircraft hanger and not be in constant fear of creaming it up against the walls or ceiling that it would qualify as a sports field model. And my own experience with the Hornets I had makes me think that I'd be a rather busy pilot making sure that would not happen.

Of course with electric power instead of high nitro fuel in a pen bladder tank we get a lot more control over the model's speed. And that's part of why I don't want to say "no" outright.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 15, 2019, 03:47 PM
B for Bruce
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideslipper
......I chose this design over (get this Bruce) the Southener. ......

Wha.... er....... I mean..... REALLY! ? ! ?........ a YOGI ? ? ? OVER a SOUTHERNER ! ? ! ? !

.... does not compute... .does not compute.... .does not compute...... ex-terminate.... .ex-terminate..... ex-terminate.......

Gotcha down for your Yogi.... despite my thinking that you should know better.....

Now who in blazes let that toaster with the toilet plunger in here?

FT, I do feel that it's a tight call. But I think it's the right one even if the GLH is prior to the 1969 cutoff. A lot of the 1/2A rudder only or Galloping Ghost models of that time would be in the same situation for being very "iffy" for the same reasons.
Jan 15, 2019, 05:19 PM
I have started on a 45 in. span 1946 "Champ" by F. Lajeunesse.
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5237
It will be two channel RC with a 1 cc or 1.5 cc diesel engine, probably a DC Spitfire.
If more power is needed, a DC Sabre can fit in.
Jan 15, 2019, 08:11 PM
B for Bruce
Thread OP
JMP, with that airfoil it should be a real floater. And you're on the List.

All of you let me know here or by PM when you start the Build Threads so I can add the links.
Jan 15, 2019, 08:38 PM
Summit Model Aeronautics
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews
All of you let me know here or by PM when you start the Build Threads so I can add the links.
Bruce,

Here's mine: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...n-Boeing-F4B-4

Steve
Jan 15, 2019, 09:03 PM
'Douglas' to his friends.
Bruce...

Here's mine, for the Kirby...

SFV 2019 - Kirby Motor Tutor Build Log ...
Jan 15, 2019, 10:57 PM
I'd rather be flying.....
Bruce -

I will be coming up with at least one entry........

If the Falcon qualifies, I'll add a build log..... It will be built original size for rubber power.....

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...odel-plan-scan

build log link added -

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...6-rubber-model

Best regards,

jeff
Last edited by JeffMac; Jan 16, 2019 at 09:13 PM. Reason: add link add build log
Jan 16, 2019, 12:19 AM
It must have a machinegun
I'm thinking of a KK Phantom converted to RC, lightened significantly, with an 049 on the front and a low pitch prop.
Jan 16, 2019, 01:43 AM

Aeronca Champ (electric RC)

Inspired by MKellyvich’s Wicko Wizard to build something pretty.
Like this 30” Aeronca Champ by James Noonan, Air Trails, Aug 1946.
Either 30” or 36” and with a little beefing up for a 25watt motor...

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=2243
Jan 16, 2019, 03:18 AM
B for Bruce
Thread OP
Jeff, the Falcon fits right in with the concept. You and the Falcon are on the list.

Scaledown, at only 21 inch span for the "big" Phantom you might want to enlarge it a smidge.... Make it a bit easier to carry the extra gear without gliding like a brick? I'm thinking up around 30" span for RC? And either a low camber Jedelsky wing or fully sheeted as per a lot of Ken Willard's designs? Let me know if that's your final decision though. Sounds like you're still mulling options?

K k iyer you're on the list too with your Champ.
Jan 16, 2019, 08:41 PM
Alpha Whisky
Oh Boy.... Just a few days ago I was gazing at the picture of a beaut little model at the bottom of a page of an old 'Model Aviation' magazine. Attached note suggested the model was flown by H A Thomas - and that 'plans for this model aren`t available ...... In light of my current playing with Pete Holland`s not dissimilar 'Fancy Pants, I figured I might just sketch up something along similar lines - and out of the blue, here it is. I have already downloaded all details from Oz, but will file them away for later.

I probably shouldn't tease you like this, or perhaps "tempt" is a better word but H A Thomas also designed and built one of my favorite looking designs. The Southerner[/QUOTE]

Further to my recent win of the short-kit prize per Steve at Summit Model Aeronautics, Steve has undertaken to produce a package from my selected plan ex OZ. The late Vic Smeed is one of my favorite designers and I have plumped for his 48"span 'Pretty Baby' design.

It seems to me that this model should meet the criteria for this new build-off, and if it meets with your approval, Bruce, I`d like to register this as my entry. I`ll retain the original 48" and make minimal changes to incorporate 3 function r/c - rudder, elevator and throttle. I`ll plan to use a Mills 1.3 engine as pictured on my plan.

It`s gonna be a busy year - I'm currently getting mentally prepared to start on an R6-B for OH Cowra later in the year. but in the meantime have been press-ganged into producing a small O/D controlline model to join in with the latest whim suggested by the guys out at the field ...

Alan W
Jan 17, 2019, 12:54 AM
Modeling Retread
Ken Willard School Boy, Top Flite sheet wood wing style. This is one of the first R/C planes I remember seeing in the early ‘60s. It was being flown at a picnic area by the San Jacinto Monument near Houston. I remember clearly the fluttering GG surfaces and how neat it looked flying around the picnic area. The plane’s little stablemate was a Schoolgirl, the miniature biplane. I knew what these were because I started reading Model Airplane News when I was about eight.

I have an Early Times R/C kit that I acquired several years ago, right before they went out of business. It was meant for a Cox 0.010-0.020 glow engine but I’m going to go electric. I picked up an A system for it at Flite Fest Texas last fall. This will give me a great excuse to clean off the small building board and get with it.

Update: Here’s a build log - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...o#post41553283
Last edited by GRW3; Apr 02, 2019 at 10:50 PM.
Jan 17, 2019, 02:51 AM
B for Bruce
Thread OP
AlphaWhisky, you're down then for the Pretty Baby for the SFV. And yes, something that light (I hope ) will fly in a manner eminently suitable for a sports field.

GRW3, you're down for a Schoolboy as well. And what a great selection that is. As I recall it was one of the first of the .010 models that showed up after the engine appeared.

I've got a VERY old TF Schoolgirl kit with the wing panels built that I should haul out for a CAP project. I just went down and pulled the kit out and it doesn't seem like it would take a lot to finish it up.
Jan 17, 2019, 11:36 AM

1946 Aeronca Champ

Here’s my thread...
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...p#post40942879
Jan 19, 2019, 12:48 AM
Now I have to land that thing?

Testors Junior 9 C/L

OK, coming off my wild 1-in-a-row record for completed build-offs with the Thermic 30 (better pics to come, SteveWMD), I am going WAY out on a limb here with the Testors Junior 9 C/L. If I get ahead of the curve a bit, I will go McCoy .09 diesel. Otherwise, .09 Tee Dee.

If When I am successful, another addition to OZNoP - Outerzone No Picture Build, for 2019

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=963

Quick Reply