Nov 03, 2019, 03:45 PM
yank and bank!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged
I found some PLA that is claiming to be 10 times stronger than normal PLA. I'm going to try it to see if it's true. That means I can print the walls at .8mm and still retain high strength.

Thats an outrageous claim.... I'd like to see how it works out for you.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 04, 2019, 01:35 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Thread OP
160mah 2S lipos work a treat. Only 25-40C so they sag a little after running WOT for a while but the idea is to have a nice half throttle cruising speed for indoors but also be able to flap around outdoors.
Nov 11, 2019, 06:55 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Hi Nitro

If you're offering these units for sale- I'm in.

Sam
Nov 12, 2019, 08:00 PM
yank and bank!!
I'd love to have a stl file of a 35mm impeller that is pretty much like a 8 blade impeller with four blades trimmed off for my experiements....
Nov 15, 2019, 07:09 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Thread OP

Thought you all might like an update

So, I'm busy building the first fuse half and realize I have to hack too much off of each former at the back end to fit the EDF and I was making alterations on the fly which were starting to make the build look pretty nasty, so I've made the decision to modify the drawings and start the build again.

I spent this evening redrawing the fuse parts (not quite finished). The back end will be slightly fatter but I don't think anyone will notice or complain.
The back half of the keels have been modified to be larger both in height and width and so far I've increased in height the rear formers.
I am currently working on widening them.

Nov 15, 2019, 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megowcoupe
Hey all-

In terms of airplanes- I have a bunch of Steve Bage's designs that I bought when Rapier was available. I think the 20 mm unit looks just right for these size airplanes. Have got a bunch of the pieces for a Bv-141? cut out. So I think Nitro is absolutely on the right track as these were some beautiful designs that no longer have power systems. (Well, I've converted his F-105 to catapult...) Also have plans for a Drakken (Thanks Gluehand!) that will be a bit challenging due to ducting. But there are a lot of designs that would work well for this fan.

The easy airplane to do is the Fouga Magister since that's just got a pod on top of the fuselage.

The smallest I've built to date is a 40mm fan, but I'd certainly kick around a fan in this size range for some of the former Jetex airplanes. Also- Easy Built has a bunch of kits that could be converted and are pretty quick to build. Unfortunately, I've been working on the Vulcan- not such a good subject- but the Ford would be sweet! Or the Panther....

Nitro- you may want to post this in the FF forum- some of those guys might want to do some of these airplanes FF. I wouldn't have believed it till I saw one of the Diels Huns fly FF- they're really nuts....that airplane is hard enough to fly RC!

Sam
Expand your horizons :-)
PDF print Bages' plans to suit a 30mm EDF ! ? His Mig 17 design is already there, ready to build.. try it.
Rapier designs require surprising conversion efforts to delete the Extinct Rapier fitment parts
Nov 16, 2019, 02:38 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Thread OP
I'm already back on the building board doing the first half of the fuse. It looks much better and neater.
Last edited by NitroCharged; Nov 16, 2019 at 03:52 AM.
Nov 16, 2019, 01:15 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Hi Nitro

Hey- I have some of the parts cut out for the DH 108 as well. If your parts work out- I'd be delighted to order some with the fan.

Bare-

I converted a rubber powered F-100 from Diels to a 40 mm EDF and got it to fly, plus I fly a lot of FF, so I think I might be OK with a 20 mm fan..

Sam
Nov 16, 2019, 07:17 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Thread OP
Hi Sam,
Steve's plan had a few minor errors in them which I corrected. I also modded it to remove the recess area for the jetex motor. I've also designed it so the rear fuse detaches for access to the edf fan should it be needed.

Maybe supplying the parts as a kit might work as an option?

Meanwhile, I am layering the rear formers with 1/64" birch sheet to strengthen the thin sections of them.
Last edited by NitroCharged; Nov 16, 2019 at 07:25 PM.
Nov 16, 2019, 08:41 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Hi Nitro

Hey- if you want to offer a kit and fan, I'd be delighted. So far any airplane where access to the fan is a PITA has needed it- and any airplane where access to the fan is easy- hasn't. Go figure....I did a mod on J. Young's Mig 17 to make sure that if I had to get at the fan, I'd have a fighting shot, although it's still some surgery. But not as bad as the fan in my MBS Drakken- which is really built into the airplane. I'm terrified if that gives up the ghost...

Sam
Nov 16, 2019, 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megowcoupe
Hi Nitro

Hey- I have some of the parts cut out for the DH 108 as well. If your parts work out- I'd be delighted to order some with the fan.

Bare-

I converted a rubber powered F-100 from Diels to a 40 mm EDF and got it to fly, plus I fly a lot of FF, so I think I might be OK with a 20 mm fan..

Sam
Suit yerself. Wasn't aware it was about: ' I can do it' but more as a suggestion of; Why reinvent the wheel ?.
When the wheel is already a damned a good one (Bages Mig17 ..certainly) and Ready to go.. from the outset.
Fit a 15$ 30mm and test your split minute reflexes
Beyond that .. what's up with this constant Lust for ever smaller ?
Nov 16, 2019, 10:11 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Why? Because I bought a whole bunch of Rapier kits and I'd love to figure out something to do with them! I never did get the Hawker P1055 ?? (don't remember the numbers) that I built to fly- not the easiest airplane to build, but the fuse looked very scale like when done. Had a motor burn through a case, and that creamed a lot of the fuse so I tossed it. Had two Rapier airplanes fly pretty well though- the Easy Built F4D and the Panther- although the Panther looped a lot when the motor really got smokin...But I've still got a bunch of Rapier kits that might work for a fan (the Me 163 and the X-1- not so quick..) so I thought it might be nice to try...And there's a couple of Fouga's in my stash- just picked up a Graupner Sylphe kit which may be a collector's item, but the kit isn't complete and has been started.

I still have the Aerographics Hawker Hunter kit lying around somewhere as well as a Diels F-86 that might work with the 30 mm fan, although the GWS EDF 40 might be a better match. Think I stashed a pair of the 30 mm fans for a Bell F-4...
Nov 17, 2019, 05:05 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Thread OP
Dang, Sam! Sounds like a great collection of conversions waiting to happen.

The Graupner Sylphe kit is a rare one indeed. Cast a mold of both the fuse halves before building it would be my recommendation.
Nov 17, 2019, 10:56 AM
Balsa Flies Better!
Hi Nitro

I'm not a kit collector- although I have a decent stash of kits- and the Sylphe doesn't mean a lot to me. The kit has been started and is missing parts- at least the wings and maybe some of the fuse wood. Someone rough cut out one of the fuse halves but I think it's still intact. Anyhow, what strikes me is that if someone actually wanted to build the airplane from the kit- this would be a good one to start with. Know of anybody who'd want the kit? Note- I have a hunch it will be very tough to construct a mold from the styrene parts in the kit unless you're doing a 3D computer model. The parts are quite thin and light- I suspect someone at Graupner knew what they were doing when they came up with these molds.

I have the Replikit Veron version of a similar airplane, the Cyclone (or does Cyclone translate to Sylphe?) and from my perspective, this is a better prospect for conversion since it doesn't have a single sheet airfoil like the Sylphe.

Sam
Nov 20, 2019, 09:36 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Thread OP

Let's do it again.....

I removed the original half fuse from the building board and tossed it.

Fresh plan, fresh pieces and the new fuse is coming along nicely - but slowly.
I've taken a photo of the fuse showing where I am at, with and without a half case of the fan (printed up as a guide to make sure it all lines up nicely).

Quick Reply