Jan 23, 2019, 03:33 AM
launch low, fly high
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnbarrie11
Hey, an event that actually takes place on my days off. Still waiting for an old guys Class, anyone over 60 that wouldn't be competitive with the younger crowd. It would be fun and probably gain some attendance!!

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler, AZ
Team Futaba
I'm almost there Darwin...

I was born in 1960 so I'm just about to qualify for your over 60 category! Quite a few years ago I became comfortable with the fact that I will not be competitive with the next generation (or nowadays, the generation after that!). That doesn't mean that I don't stop flying. I've always judged my results in regards to what I thought was my best possible result. The contest result may not agree with the personal assessment. One can be very happy with a finish well down the list as long as you flew to your potential. I've also had the converse, where I was less than happy with my flying as compared to how I could do, but others made even more mistakes than I did so my finish was higher than I would expect.

More seriously, age definitely has a large influence on performance. Maybe the event should give out best performance for multiple advanced age brackets? I'd suggest that the over 50 category might be one bracket, then over 60, then over 70. Not sure that we have seen much in the over 80 category yet but given the age creep of the participants it is coming soon...

It used to be that the grey eagle class at IHLGF was defined as over 55. It seems that if that division point was used now, that it is likely to capture a reasonable portion of the current competitive population. I've even won the event in the past while being over 55... looking through the past results, I think I'm the only guy to have won when over 50 (3x >50 to date).

In summary, using age divisions may be interesting for some. For many others, they look at their performance as compared to their expectations as well as comparisons to their performance peers. Age is just one factor in determining the performance possibility.

add: in keeping with the past tradition of the ihlgf, along with the clear age creep of some of us old-timers, if using a single age bracket for the "advanced" fliers, I'd suggest using >65 years. If using multiple age brackets, I'd consider every 5 years starting with 55. The community is a bit small for the multiple age brackets. How about whether you are eligible for full social security benefits????
Last edited by Joe W; Jan 23, 2019 at 03:41 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 23, 2019, 08:21 AM
Are you and Kev coming this year, Joe?

Cheers,

Rollo
Jan 23, 2019, 03:37 PM
RV7guy

Did you notice??

All good thoughts Joe. Did you notice my comment about those being over 60 but NOT competitive with the younger crowd? I see this as its own flight group. When I was there a couple of years ago I counted 12 guys over 60. There could have been a few more that I missed. I know a couple of those were over 70. None of that 12 would be a threat. Another idea was to allow the top guy in the FOG class into the fly offs for the fun. The FOG fly off guy wouldn't be eligible to win it all because of the path getting there. So, guys like you, Charlie Morris and a couple of others that are closer to 60 than 50 couldn't use this as a back door to the fly offs. It would just be for fun and experience and bragging rights for the old guys who still want to compete. Better to do it with peers. Now, I think there's a couple of us FOGs that could compete in the after hours festivities with some of the younger crowd.

I'm an extremely competitive person and always do the best I can. It is still nice to think of, "having a chance."

Darwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe W
I'm almost there Darwin...

I was born in 1960 so I'm just about to qualify for your over 60 category! Quite a few years ago I became comfortable with the fact that I will not be competitive with the next generation (or nowadays, the generation after that!). That doesn't mean that I don't stop flying. I've always judged my results in regards to what I thought was my best possible result. The contest result may not agree with the personal assessment. One can be very happy with a finish well down the list as long as you flew to your potential. I've also had the converse, where I was less than happy with my flying as compared to how I could do, but others made even more mistakes than I did so my finish was higher than I would expect.

More seriously, age definitely has a large influence on performance. Maybe the event should give out best performance for multiple advanced age brackets? I'd suggest that the over 50 category might be one bracket, then over 60, then over 70. Not sure that we have seen much in the over 80 category yet but given the age creep of the participants it is coming soon...

It used to be that the grey eagle class at IHLGF was defined as over 55. It seems that if that division point was used now, that it is likely to capture a reasonable portion of the current competitive population. I've even won the event in the past while being over 55... looking through the past results, I think I'm the only guy to have won when over 50 (3x >50 to date).

In summary, using age divisions may be interesting for some. For many others, they look at their performance as compared to their expectations as well as comparisons to their performance peers. Age is just one factor in determining the performance possibility.

add: in keeping with the past tradition of the ihlgf, along with the clear age creep of some of us old-timers, if using a single age bracket for the "advanced" fliers, I'd suggest using >65 years. If using multiple age brackets, I'd consider every 5 years starting with 55. The community is a bit small for the multiple age brackets. How about whether you are eligible for full social security benefits????
Jan 25, 2019, 07:26 PM
or GPS, F, J, K, or even TD
Thread OP
Guys, great comments and thoughts here. We are looking into reinstating the Eagle Class again. Relative competitiveness of the aged ones will not be considered. We would like everyone to enter and provide their age. (real age, not wish age, or vanity age) Once we figure that out and get the bracket age ID'd we will let you all know.

Thanks, can't wait.

Smith
Jan 26, 2019, 08:14 AM
Where is the lift?
Old men RULE!

Charlie
Jan 26, 2019, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsnoopy
Old men RULE!

Charlie
Joining you guys soon
Jan 26, 2019, 11:24 AM
Subliminal User
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsnoopy
Old men RULE!

Charlie
"Youth and vitality is no match for old age and treachery."
~Peking Noodle Co.
Jan 26, 2019, 11:14 PM
Blind Hawk
As a 62 year old it would be fun to see how I stack up with the other "geezers". That said I always want to be measured against the best. Guess what I'm saying is I'd prefer to fly against everyone. When we're done if there is an easy way to sort the geezers it would be interesting to see. If it's a pain to do then don't sweat it!

Rj
Jan 27, 2019, 09:34 AM
Charles Martin
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjay
As a 62 year old it would be fun to see how I stack up with the other "geezers". That said I always want to be measured against the best. Guess what I'm saying is I'd prefer to fly against everyone. When we're done if there is an easy way to sort the geezers it would be interesting to see. If it's a pain to do then don't sweat it! Rj
F3KMaster and the F3xVault do not provide a separation by age, but the Vault provides a ton of pilot classes, one of which could be used to group the "elderly" aka geezers for scoring, even though they would fly against the "Open" pilots.

Participation would be voluntary, since I (66 yrs, or 42 in Hex) and other gentlemen of advanced age would prefer to be measured against the best.

Perhaps Jubz will volunteer to hold an invitation-only class on "Treachery" ...

Last edited by BavarianCharles; Jan 27, 2019 at 09:47 AM.
Jan 27, 2019, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianCharles
... since I (66 yrs, or 42 in Hex) ...
A million ten in binary. 1000010

I'm 1001011. One million one thousand and eleven!
Jan 27, 2019, 09:50 PM
Just signed up for San Felasco. They have a Medicare class. Of course, it is Florida.
Jan 27, 2019, 10:44 PM
iVoid Warranties
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianCharles
(66 yrs, or 42 in Hex)
You realize what this means, right? Your Junior team is made of 10 and 11 year olds!
Jan 28, 2019, 06:21 PM
Thread OP
Guys and Gals, please go to the poll and vote by checking the box that represents your age as of April 27, 2019!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...G-age-brackets
Jan 31, 2019, 12:31 AM
Thread OP
I closed the poll after getting about 48 votes. Based on that data and the ages of some of the very competitive “getting old” guys we have set the Eagle Class age range at 60 years and older as of April 27, 2019.

So when registration opens, please choose the class you wish to compete in. Note that everyone will compete in the open class for flyoff spots, but sportsman and Eagles have the opportunity to make it to the fly offs through the normal open competition and then they get scored against others registered in their class. But we will not be segregating the classes during the contest. The draw will be as always and the scores will show overall points and placing and class placings.

Hope that all makes sense.

See you all soon.

Mike “The Mike Smith Rule” Smith
Jan 31, 2019, 08:48 AM
Charles Martin
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY F3B
I closed the poll after getting about 48 votes. Based on that data and the ages of some of the very competitive “getting old” guys we have set the Eagle Class age range at 60 years and older as of April 27, 2019. Mike “The Mike Smith Rule” Smith
Mike,

if all 48 "getting old" register, then we form a majority and have enough pilots for the contest. The minimum age to sign up would be raised to 55.

The "getting old slowly, but not there yet" guys will just have to wait ...

Quick Reply